Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Fan J, Jia L, Li Y, Ebrahim S, May Simera H, Wood A, et al. Maturation arrest in early postnatal sensory receptors by deletion of the miR-183/96/182 cluster in mouse. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:E4271-E4280 pubmed publisher..Our study thus establishes a dedicated role of the miR-183/96/182 cluster in driving the terminal differentiation of multiple sensory receptor cells. ..
- Sagar V, Chaturvedi S, Schuck P, Wistow G. Crystal Structure of Chicken ?S-Crystallin Reveals Lattice Contacts with Implications for Function in the Lens and the Evolution of the ??-Crystallins. Structure. 2017;25:1068-1078.e2 pubmed publisher..The lattice contacts suggest how ?-crystallins allow close packing without aggregation in the crowded environment of the lens. ..
- Fan J, Lerner J, Wyatt M, Cai P, Peterson K, Dong L, et al. The klotho-related protein KLPH (lctl) has preferred expression in lens and is essential for expression of clic5 and normal lens suture formation. Exp Eye Res. 2018;169:111-121 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that KLPH is required for lens-specific expression of Clic5 and that Clic5 has an important role in the machinery that controls lens fiber cell extension and organization. ..
- Wistow G, Sardarian L, Gan W, Wyatt M. The human gene for gammaS-crystallin: alternative transcripts and expressed sequences from the first intron. Mol Vis. 2000;6:79-84 pubmed..The identity and function Mys of is not yet known, however, the cryptic splicing of CRYGS could produce a defective protein product, with potentially deleterious results for the adult human lens. ..
- Wistow G, Wyatt K, David L, Gao C, Bateman O, Bernstein S, et al. gammaN-crystallin and the evolution of the betagamma-crystallin superfamily in vertebrates. FEBS J. 2005;272:2276-91 pubmed..Although well conserved throughout vertebrate evolution, gammaN in primates has apparently undergone major changes and possible loss of functional expression. ..
- Wistow G. The NEIBank project for ocular genomics: data-mining gene expression in human and rodent eye tissues. Prog Retin Eye Res. 2006;25:43-77 pubmed..These point to specific adaptations and mechanisms in the human eye and emphasize that care needs to be taken in the application of appropriate animal model systems. ..
- Rajapakse D, Peterson K, Mishra S, Wistow G. Serum starvation of ARPE-19 changes the cellular distribution of cholesterol and Fibulin3 in patterns reminiscent of age-related macular degeneration. Exp Cell Res. 2017;361:333-341 pubmed publisher....