Affiliation: National Cancer Institute
- The role of antibodies to Bacillus anthracis and anthrax toxin components in inhibiting the early stages of infection by anthrax sporesS Welkos
Divisions of Bacteriology and Pathology, US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Fort Detrick, Frederick, MD 21702 5011, USA
Microbiology 147:1677-85. 2001..Thus, the anti-PA Ab-specific immunity induced by AVA has anti-spore activity and might have a role in impeding the early stages of infection with B. anthracis spores...
- Determination of the virulence of the pigmentation-deficient and pigmentation-/plasminogen activator-deficient strains of Yersinia pestis in non-human primate and mouse models of pneumonic plagueS Welkos
Division of Bacteriology, US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Fort Detrick, Frederick, MD 21702 5011, USA
Vaccine 20:2206-14. 2002....
- Humanized theta-defensins (retrocyclins) enhance macrophage performance and protect mice from experimental anthrax infectionsS Welkos
Bacteriology Division, U S Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Frederick, Maryland, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:4238-50. 2011..Overall, these data demonstrate that retrocyclins are effective in vivo against experimental murine anthrax infections and suggest that enhanced macrophage function contributes to this property...
- Anti-V antigen antibody protects macrophages from Yersinia pestis -induced cell death and promotes phagocytosisS Weeks
Division of Bacteriology, U S Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Disease, Fort Detrick, Frederick, MD 21702 5011, USA
Microb Pathog 32:227-37. 2002..The protective epitope(s) recognized by R anti-V was contained in the central region of Y. pestis V (aa 135-275) and were partially cross reactive with Y. pseudotuberculosis and Y. enterocolitica serotype 08 V antigens...
- Development of in vitro correlate assays of immunity to infection with Yersinia pestisJ Bashaw
Bacteriology Division, U S Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, 1425 Porter Street, Fort Detrick, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Clin Vaccine Immunol 14:605-16. 2007..These results provide a strong base for the development of reliable in vitro correlate bioassays that are predictive of protective immunity to plague...