Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Transfusion of older stored blood and risk of death: a meta-analysisDong Wang
Critical Care Medicine Department, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Transfusion 52:1184-95. 2012..Older blood develops lesions and accumulates potentially injurious substances. Some studies report increasing toxicity as blood ages. We assessed the safety of transfused older versus newer stored blood...
- Transfusion of older stored blood worsens outcomes in canines depending on the presence and severity of pneumoniaDong Wang
Critical Care Medicine Department, Clinical Center, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland
Transfusion 54:1712-24. 2014..In this study, we additionally analyze identically treated animals that received lower or higher bacterial doses...
- Washing older blood units before transfusion reduces plasma iron and improves outcomes in experimental canine pneumoniaIrene Cortés-Puch
Critical Care Medicine Department, Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD
Blood 123:1403-11. 2014..Our data suggest that fresh blood should not be washed routinely because, in a setting of established infection, washed RBC are prone to release CFH and result in worsened clinical outcomes. ..
- In vivo reduction of cell-free methemoglobin to oxyhemoglobin results in vasoconstriction in caninesDong Wang
Critical Care Medicine Department, Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland Molecular Medicine Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland Division of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Medicine and the Vascular Medicine Institute, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Department of Physics and the Translational Science Center, Wake Forest University, Winston Salem, North Carolina Anesthesia and Critical Care Medicine Department, West China Hospital of Sichuan University, Cheng Du, China Critical Care Medicine Department, Hospital Universitario de Getafe, Getafe, Madrid, Spain
Transfusion 53:3149-63. 2013..To clarify this, we tested the vascular effect and fate of oxyHb or metHb infusions...
- Mortality increases after massive exchange transfusion with older stored blood in canines with experimental pneumoniaSteven B Solomon
Critical Care Medicine Department, National Institutes of Health NIH Clinical Center, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Blood 121:1663-72. 2013....