Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Analysis of Yersinia pestis gene expression in the flea vectorViveka Vadyvaloo
Laboratory of Zoonotic Pathogens, Rocky Mountain Laboratories, National Institutes of Health, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 603:192-200. 2007..This article serves as a review of known factors involved in flea-borne transmission and introduces an 'in vivo' microarray approach to elucidating the genetic basis of Y. pestis infection of- and transmission by the flea...
- Transit through the flea vector induces a pretransmission innate immunity resistance phenotype in Yersinia pestisViveka Vadyvaloo
Laboratory of Zoonotic Pathogens, Rocky Mountain Laboratories, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Hamilton, Montana, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 6:e1000783. 2010..Our results suggest that transit through the flea vector induces a phenotype that enhances survival and dissemination of Y. pestis after transmission to the mammalian host...
- Acute oral toxicity of Yersinia pseudotuberculosis to fleas: implications for the evolution of vector-borne transmission of plagueDavid L Erickson
Laboratory of Zoonotic Pathogens, Rocky Mountain Laboratories, NIH, NIAID, Hamilton, MT 59840, USA
Cell Microbiol 9:2658-66. 2007..Changes in the tc insecticidal genes do not appear to have been responsible, but may have had other effects on Yersinia-flea interactions...
- AI-2-dependent gene regulation in Staphylococcus epidermidisMin Li
Laboratory of Human Bacterial Pathogenesis, Rocky Mountain Laboratories, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, The National Institutes of Health, Hamilton, MT 59840, USA
BMC Microbiol 8:4. 2008..Particularly, we have a lack of knowledge about AI-2 signaling in the important human pathogens Staphylococcus aureus and S. epidermidis...
- Role of the luxS quorum-sensing system in biofilm formation and virulence of Staphylococcus epidermidisLin Xu
Key Laboratory of Medical Molecular Virology, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, Shanghai 200032, People s Republic of China
Infect Immun 74:488-96. 2006..Our study indicates a general scheme of quorum-sensing regulation of biofilm development in staphylococci, which contrasts with that observed in many other bacterial pathogens...
- Cell-surface alterations in class IIa bacteriocin-resistant Listeria monocytogenes strainsViveka Vadyvaloo
Department of Biochemistry, University of Stellenbosch, Private Bag X1, 7602 Matieland, South Africa
Microbiology 150:3025-33. 2004..The authors' findings strongly indicate that all these factors could contribute to class IIa bacteriocin resistance and that the combination and contribution of each of these factors determine the level of bacteriocin resistance...
- Conservation of residues involved in sugar/H(+) symport by the sucrose permease of Escherichia coli relative to lactose permeaseViveka Vadyvaloo
Department of Physiology and Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics, Molecular Biology Institute, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7327, USA
J Mol Biol 358:1051-9. 2006..Functional analyses of mutants in the homologous key residues provide strong evidence that they play a similar critical role in the mechanisms of CscB and LacY...