Jasmin A Tiro
Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Promoting regular mammography screening I. A systematic assessment of validity in a randomized trialDeborah J Del Junco
Center for Clinical and Translational Sciences, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, 6410 Fannin St, LL 125, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:333-46. 2008..Most health promotion trials in cancer screening offer limited evidence of external validity. We assessed internal and external validity in a nationwide, population-based trial of an intervention to promote regular mammography screening...
- What do women in the U.S. know about human papillomavirus and cervical cancer?Jasmin A Tiro
Cancer Prevention Fellowship Program, Division of Cancer Prevention, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 7331, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:288-94. 2007..Assessment of the public's knowledge in nationally representative samples is a high priority for cervical cancer control...
- Validation of scales measuring attitudes and norms related to mammography screening in women veteransJasmin A Tiro
Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research, University of Texas School of Public Health at Houston, TX, USA
Health Psychol 24:555-66. 2005..These scales may be useful for intervention research...
- Factorial validity and invariance of a survey measuring psychosocial correlates of colorectal cancer screening among African Americans and CaucasiansJasmin A Tiro
Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute, 6130 Executive Boulevard, Room 4103A, Bethesda, MD 20892 7331, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14:2855-61. 2005..In addition, we examined factorial invariance across race and sex...
- Was the drop in mammography rates in 2005 associated with the drop in hormone therapy use?Nancy Breen
Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20852 7344, USA
Cancer 117:5450-60. 2011..Because current users of HT also tend to have higher mammography rates, the authors examined whether concurrent drops in HT and mammography use were associated...
- Effects of socioeconomic status and health care access on low levels of human papillomavirus vaccination among Spanish-speaking Hispanics in CaliforniaShingisai Chando
The University of Texas School of Public Health, Dallas Regional Campus, Dallas, TX, USA
Am J Public Health 103:270-2. 2013..68; 95% CI = 0.35, 1.29). This confirms that health care use is associated with language via income and access. Low-income Hispanics, who lack access, need information about free HPV vaccination programs...
- Too much of a good thing? Physician practices and patient willingness for less frequent pap test screening intervalsHelen I Meissner
Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research, National Institutes of Health, 31 Center Dr, Building 31 Room B1C19, Bethesda, MD 20892 2027, USA
Med Care 48:249-59. 2010..Recent guidelines recommend longer Pap test intervals. However, physicians and patients may not be adopting these recommendations...
- Interventions to promote repeat breast cancer screening with mammography: a systematic review and meta-analysisSally W Vernon
Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research, Division of Health Promotion and Behavioral Sciences, University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 102:1023-39. 2010..Various interventions to promote repeat use of mammography have been evaluated, but the efficacy of such interventions is not well understood...
- Reported drop in mammography : is this cause for concern?Nancy Breen
Health Services and Economics Branch, Applied Research Program, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda 20892 7344, Maryland, USA
Cancer 109:2405-9. 2007..Timely screening with mammography can prevent a substantial number of deaths from breast cancer. The objective of this brief was to ascertain whether recent use of mammography has dropped nationally...
- Does patient health and hysterectomy status influence cervical cancer screening in older women?Helen I Meissner
Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 2027, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:1822-8. 2008..Decisions to screen older patients for cancer are complicated by the fact that aging populations are heterogeneous with respect to life expectancy...
- Competitive testing of health behavior theories: how do benefits, barriers, subjective norm, and intention influence mammography behavior?Caitlin C Murphy
Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research, University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, TX, USA
Ann Behav Med 47:120-9. 2014..Competitive hypothesis testing may explain differences in predictive power across multiple health behavior theories...
- Understanding impediments and enablers to physical activity among African American adults: a systematic review of qualitative studiesZoveen Siddiqi
University of Texas, Health Science Center at Houston, School of Public Health, Dallas Regional Campus, Dallas, TX, USA
Health Educ Res 26:1010-24. 2011..Findings should be taken into account by researchers, program planners and policymakers when tailoring physical activity interventions to African American communities in the United States...
- Community events as viable sites for recruiting minority volunteers who agree to be contacted for future researchWendy Pechero Bishop
Division of Behavioral and Communication Sciences, Department of Clinical Sciences and Simmons Cancer Center, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA
Contemp Clin Trials 32:369-71. 2011..Approximately 66% of the 2298 survey responders joined the registry. Multivariate analysis showed that Hispanics were more likely to agree to contact than Whites. Agreers endorsed a wider range of health concerns than non-agreers...
- Validity of self-reported genetic counseling and genetic testing use among breast cancer survivorsHeidi A Hamann
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center and Harold C Simmons Cancer Center, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX, 75390 9044, USA
J Cancer Surviv 7:624-9. 2013..This study evaluated the accuracy of self-reported genetic counseling and testing rates among breast cancer survivors...
- Utilization of hepatocellular carcinoma surveillance among American patients: a systematic reviewAmit G Singal
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA
J Gen Intern Med 27:861-7. 2012..The aim of our study was to quantify utilization rates for HCC surveillance among patients with cirrhosis and summarize patterns of association between utilization rates and patient socio-demographic characteristics...
- Some methodologic lessons learned from cancer screening researchSally W Vernon
Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research, The University of Texas Houston School of Public Health, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 101:1131-45. 2004....
- Construct validity and invariance of four factors associated with colorectal cancer screening across gender, race, and prior screeningAmy McQueen
Division of Health Behavior Research, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63108, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:2231-7. 2008..Replication studies in other populations are needed to provide further evidence of construct validity for the scales reported here...
- Promoting regular mammography screening II. Results from a randomized controlled trial in US women veteransSally W Vernon
Division of Health Promotion and Behavioral Sciences, University of Texas Houston School of Public Health, 7000 Fannin, Ste 2560, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:347-58. 2008..We conducted a randomized controlled trial of two theory-based interventions in a population-based, nationally representative sample of women veterans...
- Test-retest reliability of self-reported mammography in women veteransSemilla Rivera
The University of Texas at Houston School of Public Health, Division of Health Promotion and Behavioral Sciences, PO Box 20186, Houston, TX 77225, USA
Prev Med 42:320-6. 2006..Mammography self-report is used to monitor screening and evaluate intervention trends; however, few studies have examined reliability...
- Reliability and validity of a questionnaire to measure colorectal cancer screening behaviors: does mode of survey administration matter?Sally W Vernon
University of Texas Houston School of Public Health, Division of Health Promotion and Behavioral Sciences, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:758-67. 2008..This study provides evidence to support the use of the National Cancer Institute CRCS questionnaire to assess self-report with any of the three survey modes...
- Additive impact of childhood emotional, physical, and sexual abuse on suicide attempts among low-income African American womenPage L Anderson
Georgia State University, USA
Suicide Life Threat Behav 32:131-8. 2002..These findings have implications for clinicians working with African American women who report either childhood abuse or exhibit suicidal behavior...