Ashley Wilder Smith
Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Health-related quality of life of adolescent and young adult patients with cancer in the United States: the Adolescent and Young Adult Health Outcomes and Patient Experience studyAshley Wilder Smith
Outcomes Research Branch, National Cancer Institute, 6130 Executive Blvd, MSC 7344, Executive Plaza North, Bethesda, MD 20892 7344, USA
J Clin Oncol 31:2136-45. 2013..This article describes the health-related quality of life (HRQOL) and associated demographic and health-related characteristics of this developmentally diverse population...
- Reproducibility of physical activity recall over fifteen years: longitudinal evidence from the CARDIA studyAshley Wilder Smith
Applied Research Program, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD, USA
BMC Public Health 13:180. 2013..To examine the benefits of physical activity (PA) on diseases with a long developmental period, it is important to determine reliability of long-term PA recall...
- Recruitment to a physical activity intervention study in women at increased risk of breast cancerLarissa A Korde
Clinical Genetics Branch, NCI, Bethesda MD, USA
BMC Med Res Methodol 9:27. 2009..Physical activity is being studied as a breast cancer prevention strategy. Women at risk of breast cancer report interest in lifestyle modification, but recruitment to randomized physical activity intervention studies is challenging...
- Estrogenic botanical supplements, health-related quality of life, fatigue, and hormone-related symptoms in breast cancer survivors: a HEAL study reportHuiyan Ma
Division of Cancer Etiology, Department of Population Sciences, Beckman Research Institute, City of Hope, Duarte, CA 91010, USA
BMC Complement Altern Med 11:109. 2011..It remains unclear whether estrogenic botanical supplement (EBS) use influences breast cancer survivors' health-related outcomes...
- Stress and weight gain in parents of cancer patientsA W Smith
University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Int J Obes (Lond) 29:244-50. 2005..To investigate the effects of chronic stress on weight changes and related behavioral changes in parents with a child who had just been diagnosed with cancer compared to parents with healthy children...
- Psychological distress and quality of life associated with genetic testing for breast cancer riskAshley Wilder Smith
Division of Cancer Prevention, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD, USA
Psychooncology 17:767-73. 2008..However, sub-groups of women may report more distress over time. These data indicate the need for more targeted counseling to individuals who report high levels of distress when considering genetic testing...
- Cancer, comorbidities, and health-related quality of life of older adultsAshley Wilder Smith
National Cancer Institute NCI, Bethesda, MD 20892 7344, USA
Health Care Financ Rev 29:41-56. 2008..Negative associations were most pronounced in those with two or more comorbidities and in those diagnosed with cancer within the past year...
- Race/ethnicity, physical activity, and quality of life in breast cancer survivorsAshley Wilder Smith
Outcomes Research Branch, Applied Research Program, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892 7344, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18:656-63. 2009....
- U.S. primary care physicians' diet-, physical activity-, and weight-related care of adult patientsAshley Wilder Smith
Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 7344, USA
Am J Prev Med 41:33-42. 2011..Overweight and obesity are substantial problems in the U.S., but few national studies exist on primary care physicians' (PCPs') clinical practices regarding overweight and obesity...
- Pediatricians' and family physicians' weight-related care of children in the U.STerry T K Huang
Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Am J Prev Med 41:24-32. 2011..Few national data exist to assess primary care physicians' (PCPs') clinical practices with regard to childhood obesity...
- Impact of cancer on health-related quality of life of older AmericansBryce B Reeve
Outcomes Research Branch, Applied Research Program, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute, EPN 4005, 6130 Executive Blvd, Bethesda, MD 20892 7344, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 101:860-8. 2009....
- The roles of support seeking and race/ethnicity in posttraumatic growth among breast cancer survivorsErin E Kent
Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences and Center for Cancer Training, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Psychosoc Oncol 31:393-412. 2013..02). Support program experiences and patient-provider encounters should be examined to determine which attributes facilitate PTG in diverse populations. ..
- Sleep duration change across breast cancer survivorship: associations with symptoms and health-related quality of lifeCatherine M Alfano
Office of Cancer Survivorship, National Cancer Institute, DCCPS NCI NIH DHHS, Bethesda, MD, 20892 8336, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 130:243-54. 2011..These results point to the need for routine assessment of sleep as part of survivorship care...
- Fatigue, inflammation, and ω-3 and ω-6 fatty acid intake among breast cancer survivorsCatherine M Alfano
Office of Cancer Survivorship, National Cancer Institute, 6116 Executive Blvd, Ste 404, Bethesda, MD 20892 8336, USA
J Clin Oncol 30:1280-7. 2012..This study investigated fatigue, inflammation, and intake of ω-3 and ω-6 PUFAs among breast cancer survivors...
- Reducing bias in cancer research: application of propensity score matchingBryce B Reeve
National Cancer Institute NCI, Bethesda, MD 20892 7344, USA
Health Care Financ Rev 29:69-80. 2008..Results indicated that propensity score matching is an efficient and useful way to create a matched case-control study out of a large cohort study, and allows confidence in the strength of the observed outcomes of the study...
- Sedentary behavior, health-related quality of life, and fatigue among breast cancer survivorsStephanie M George
Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD
J Phys Act Health 10:350-8. 2013..Conclusion: In this breast cancer survivor cohort, self-reported sedentary time was not associated with HRQOL or fatigue, 3.5 years postdiagnosis...
- Unmet Support Service Needs and Health-Related Quality of Life among Adolescents and Young Adults with Cancer: The AYA HOPE StudyAshley Wilder Smith
Outcomes Research Branch, Applied Research Program, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute Bethesda, MD, USA
Front Oncol 3:75. 2013..Research should examine developmentally appropriate, relevant practices to improve access to services demonstrated to adversely impact HRQOL, particularly physical therapy and mental health services...
- Prevalence and virulence factors of Escherichia coli serogroups O26, O103, O111, and O145 shed by cattle in ScotlandM C Pearce
Centre for Tropical Veterinary Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Roslin, Midlothian EH25 9RG, United Kingdom
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:653-9. 2006..The carriage of eae and ehxA genes was highly associated in all three serogroups. Among E. coli serogroup O26 isolates, 28.9% carried vtx, eae, and ehxA-a profile consistent with E. coli O26 strains known to cause human disease...