Alfred L Roca
Affiliation: National Cancer Institute
- Initial sequence and comparative analysis of the cat genomeJoan U Pontius
Laboratory of Genomic Diversity, SAIC Frederick, Inc, NCI Frederick, Frederick, Maryland 21702, USA
Genome Res 17:1675-89. 2007..9-fold) coverage mammal genome sequence...
- The mastodon mitochondrial genome: a mammoth accomplishmentAlfred L Roca
Department of Animal Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Trends Genet 24:49-52. 2008..However, it also suggests that a complex evolutionary picture could ultimately emerge and points to similarities between the early evolution of the Elephantidae and that of the gorilla-human-chimpanzee clade...
- Genomic inferences from Afrotheria and the evolution of elephantsAlfred L Roca
Laboratory of Genomic Diversity, Basic Research Program, SAIC Frederick and National Cancer Institute, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Curr Opin Genet Dev 15:652-9. 2005..The elephant genome sequence might prove useful for comparative genomic studies of these advanced traits, which have appeared independently in only three mammalian orders: primates, cetaceans and proboscideans...
- Mesozoic origin for West Indian insectivoresAlfred L Roca
Laboratory of Genomic Diversity, Basic Research Program, SAIC Frederick, National Cancer Institute, Frederick, Maryland 21702, USA
Nature 429:649-51. 2004..Efforts to prevent extinction of the two surviving solenodon species would conserve an entire lineage as old or older than many mammalian orders...
- Insertional polymorphisms of endogenous feline leukemia virusesAlfred L Roca
Laboratory of Genomic Diversity, Basic Research Program, SAIC Frederick, Maryland, USA
J Virol 79:3979-86. 2005..Since endogenous FeLVs may affect the infectiousness or pathogenicity of exogenous FeLVs, genomic variation in enFeLVs represents a candidate for genetic influences on FeLV leukemogenesis in cats...
- Genetic characterization of feline leukemia virus from Florida panthersMeredith A Brown
National Cancer Institute, Frederick, Maryland, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 14:252-9. 2008..These unique features may also account for the severity of the outbreak after cross-species transmission to the panther...
- Genomically intact endogenous feline leukemia viruses of recent originAlfred L Roca
Laboratory of Genomic Diversity, Basic Research Program, SAIC-Frederick, Maryland 21702, USA
J Virol 78:4370-5. 2004....
- The Near Eastern origin of cat domesticationCarlos A Driscoll
Laboratory of Genomic Diversity, National Cancer Institute, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Science 317:519-23. 2007..Domestic cats derive from at least five founders from across this region, whose descendants were transported across the world by human assistance...
- Pathological manifestations of feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV) infection in wild African lionsMelody E Roelke
Laboratory of Genomic Diversity, SAIC Frederick, Inc, NCI Frederick, Frederick, MD, USA
Virology 390:1-12. 2009....
- Mitochondrial phylogeography illuminates the origin of the extinct caspian tiger and its relationship to the amur tigerCarlos A Driscoll
Wildlife Conservation Research Unit, Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, Tubney, Oxon, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 4:e4125. 2009..Also, due to their evolutionary propinquity, living Amur tigers offer an appropriate genetic source should reintroductions to the former range of the Caspian tiger be implemented...
- Cytonuclear genomic dissociation in African elephant speciesAlfred L Roca
Laboratory of Genomic Diversity, Basic Research Program, SAIC-Frederick, Frederick, Maryland 21702, USA
Nat Genet 37:96-100. 2005..The persistence of residual forest elephant mitochondria in savanna elephant herds renders evolutionary interpretations based on mitochondrial DNA alone misleading and preserves a genomic record of ancient habitat changes...
- A nuclear DNA phylogeny of the woolly mammoth (Mammuthus primigenius)Cristian Capelli
Istituto di Medicina Legale, , Rome, Italy
Mol Phylogenet Evol 40:620-7. 2006
- Patterns of molecular genetic variation among African elephant populationsKenine E Comstock
Clinical Research Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue N, D4-100, Seattle, WA 98109-1024, USA
Mol Ecol 11:2489-98. 2002..The savannah elephants show significantly lower genetic diversity than forest elephants, probably reflecting a founder effect in the recent history of the savannah species...