Genomes and Genes
Jagadeesh S Rao
Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Rao J, Rapoport S, Bosetti F. Decrease in the AP-2 DNA-binding activity and in the protein expression of AP-2 alpha and AP-2 beta in frontal cortex of rats treated with lithium for 6 weeks. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2005;30:2006-13 pubmed....
- Rao J, Ertley R, Lee H, Rapoport S, Bazinet R. Chronic fluoxetine upregulates activity, protein and mRNA levels of cytosolic phospholipase A2 in rat frontal cortex. Pharmacogenomics J. 2006;6:413-20 pubmed..Chronic fluoxetine's effect on cPLA(2) expression was opposite to the effect reported with chronic lithium or carbamazepine administration, and may be part of fluoxetine's mode of action...
- Rao J, Bazinet R, Rapoport S, Lee H. RETRACTED: Chronic administration of carbamazepine down-regulates AP-2 DNA-binding activity and AP-2alpha protein expression in rat frontal cortex. Biol Psychiatry. 2007;61:154-61 pubmed
- Rao J, Ertley R, Lee H, DeMar J, Arnold J, Rapoport S, et al. n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid deprivation in rats decreases frontal cortex BDNF via a p38 MAPK-dependent mechanism. Mol Psychiatry. 2007;12:36-46 pubmed..DHA's ability to regulate BDNF via a p38 MAPK-dependent mechanism may contribute to its therapeutic efficacy in brain diseases having disordered cell survival and neuroplasticity. ..
- Rao J, Ertley R, DeMar J, Rapoport S, Bazinet R, Lee H. Dietary n-3 PUFA deprivation alters expression of enzymes of the arachidonic and docosahexaenoic acid cascades in rat frontal cortex. Mol Psychiatry. 2007;12:151-7 pubmed....
- Rao J, Harry G, Rapoport S, Kim H. Increased excitotoxicity and neuroinflammatory markers in postmortem frontal cortex from bipolar disorder patients. Mol Psychiatry. 2010;15:384-92 pubmed publisher..The changes may account for reported evidence of disease progression in BD and be a target for future therapy. ..
- Rao J, Rapoport S. Mood-stabilizers target the brain arachidonic acid cascade. Curr Mol Pharmacol. 2009;2:207-14 pubmed..In this review, we discuss the mechanisms of action of mood stabilizers and the effects of docosahexaenoic acid on AA cascade enzymes in relation to BD. ..
- Rao J, Kim H, Kellom M, Greenstein D, Chen M, Kraft A, et al. Increased neuroinflammatory and arachidonic acid cascade markers, and reduced synaptic proteins, in brain of HIV-1 transgenic rats. J Neuroinflammation. 2011;8:101 pubmed publisher..These changes are associated with viral proteins and may contribute to cognitive impairment. The HIV-1 Tg rat may be a useful model for understanding progression and treatment of cognitive impairment in HIV-1 patients. ..
- Rao J, Keleshian V, Klein S, Rapoport S. Epigenetic modifications in frontal cortex from Alzheimer's disease and bipolar disorder patients. Transl Psychiatry. 2012;2:e132 pubmed publisher..These epigenetic modifications involving neuroinflammatory, AA cascade and synaptic markers may contribute to progression in AD and BD and identify new targets for drug development. ..