Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Recent research on suicide in the elderlyJane L Pearson
National Institute of Mental Health, 6001 Executive Boulevard, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Curr Psychiatry Rep 4:59-63. 2002..Continued efforts are needed to change attitudes about mental illness and treatment in order to reach older adults who do not use health care services...
- Contact with mental health and primary care providers before suicide: a review of the evidenceJason B Luoma
Division of Services and Intervention Research, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Am J Psychiatry 159:909-16. 2002....
- Emerging issues in gender and ethnic differences in substance abuse and treatmentSusan R B Weiss
National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, 6001 Executive Blvd Room 5241, MSC 9591, Bethesda, MD 20892 9591, USA
Curr Womens Health Rep 3:245-53. 2003..Research challenges to improving limited knowledge about the rates, course, and treatment of substance abuse disorders among ethnic minority women are highlighted...
- Suicide prevention in late life: directions for science and practiceJ L Pearson
NIMH, Bethesda, MD 20892 9635, USA
Clin Psychol Rev 20:685-705. 2000..Testing and determining whether these treatment approaches are effective is an immediate goal on the path to advancing the science and practice of late-life suicide prevention...
- Prevention of eating disorders: challenges and opportunitiesJane Pearson
Division of Services and Intervention Research, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Int J Eat Disord 31:233-9. 2002....
- Prevention of depression in children and adolescentsBelinda E Sims
Division of Epidemiology, Services and Prevention Research, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Bethesda, Maryland 20892-9589, USA
Am J Prev Med 32:451-5. 2007
- Prevention of depression in children and adolescentsBelinda E Sims
Division of Epidemiology, Services and Prevention Research, National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892-9589, USA
Am J Prev Med 31:S99-103. 2006
- The science of public messages for suicide prevention: a workshop summaryDavid A Chambers
Dissemination and Implementation Program, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Suicide Life Threat Behav 35:134-45. 2005..This summary describes some of the challenges and opportunities identified by workshop participants in evaluating public awareness campaigns in suicide prevention, technical assistance needs, and a proposed research agenda...
- A depressed adolescent at high risk of suicidal behaviorBenedetto Vitiello
Division of Services and Intervention Research, NIMH, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892-9633, USA
Am J Psychiatry 165:323-8; quiz 408. 2008
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance consensus statement on the unmet needs in diagnosis and treatment of mood disorders in late lifeDennis S Charney
National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 60:664-72. 2003....
- Substance use, firearm availability, depressive symptoms, and mental health service utilization among white and African American suicide decedents aged 15 to 64 yearsHsiang Ching Kung
National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Hyattsville, MD 20782, USA
Ann Epidemiol 15:614-21. 2005....
- Suicidal behavior among urban, African American young adultsNicholas Ialongo
Department of Mental Hygiene, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Suicide Life Threat Behav 32:256-71. 2002..Despite the severity of most attempts, few attempters received mental health services in their lifetime or at the time of their most recent attempt...
- Reducing suicidal ideation and depressive symptoms in depressed older primary care patients: a randomized controlled trialMartha L Bruce
Department of Psychiatry, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, White Plains, NY, USA
JAMA 291:1081-91. 2004..The intervention's effectiveness in reducing suicidal ideation, regardless of depression severity, reinforces its role as a prevention strategy to reduce risk factors for suicide in late life...
- Ethical issues in including suicidal individuals in clinical researchCelia B Fisher
Fordham University Center for Ethics Education, Bronx, New York, USA
IRB 24:9-14. 2002
- Risk factors for male and female suicide decedents ages 15-64 in the United States. Results from the 1993 National Mortality Followback SurveyHsiang-Ching Kung
National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 3311 Toledo Road, Room 7318, Hyattsville, MD, 20782, USA
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 38:419-26. 2003..The interactions of mental health service use with demographic factors suggested possible gender differences in suicide risk associated with severity of mental disorders, as well as the likelihood of treatment seeking...
- Suicide and marital status in the United States, 1991-1996: is widowhood a risk factor?Jason B Luoma
Catholic University of America, Washington, DC, USA
Am J Public Health 92:1518-22. 2002..This study examined whether marital status is associated with suicide rates among various age, sex, and racial groups, in particular with widowhood among young adults of both sexes...
- Theme issue: suicidal behaviors in older adultsYeates Conwell
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 10:359-61. 2002
- Progress in identifying risk and protective factors in older suicidal adultsJane L Pearson
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 14:721-3. 2006
- Challenges in preventing relapse in major depression. Report of a National Institute of Mental Health Workshop on state of the science of relapse prevention in major depressionZindel V Segal
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Unit, University of Toronto, 250 College Street, Toronto, ON, Canada M5T 1R8
J Affect Disord 77:97-108. 2003....
- Risk factors for late-life suicide: a prospective, community-based studyCarolyn L Turvey
Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, 52242-1009, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 10:398-406. 2002..This study provided additional information about the context of late-life depression that also contributes to suicidal behavior: poor perceived health, poor sleep quality, and limited presence of a relative or friend to confide in...
- African American children's reports of depressed mood, hopelessness, and suicidal ideation and later suicide attemptsNicholas S Ialongo
Department of Mental Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Suicide Life Threat Behav 34:395-407. 2004..Neither family demographics nor teacher-reported child aggressive behavior proved equal to child self-reported depressive symptoms in predicting later suicide attempts...
- Suicidality in older African Americans: findings from the EPOCH studyJoan M Cook
University of Pennsylvania and Philadelphia VA Medical Center, 19104, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 10:437-46. 2002..The authors discuss implications of these findings and offer suggestions for research and clinical practice...
- Major depressive disorder in a population of urban, African-American young adults: prevalence, correlates, comorbidity and unmet mental health service needNicholas Ialongo
Department of Mental Hygiene, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, 624 North Broadway, Room 809, Baltimore, MD 21205 1999, USA
J Affect Disord 79:127-36. 2004....