Genomes and Genes
Howard A Nash
Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- An unusual cation channel mediates photic control of locomotion in DrosophilaHoward A Nash
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Curr Biol 12:2152-8. 2002..The involvement of the channel in daily rhythms of the fruit fly is especially provocative because the human ortholog lies in a candidate region linked to bipolar disorder, a disease frequently associated with altered diurnal behavior...
- Genetic effects in Drosophila on the potency of diverse general anesthetics: a distinctive pattern of altered sensitivityJoseph L Campbell
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 3736, USA
J Neurogenet 23:412-21. 2009..Intriguingly, P element insertions that co-map with several NEP loci have been shown to alter the fly's response to cocaine and ethanol, suggesting that common genetic elements are involved in the response to all three drugs...
- Visual mutations reveal opposing effects of illumination on arousal in DrosophilaYuzhong Cheng
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Institutes of Mental Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 3736, USA
Genetics 178:2413-6. 2008..These dual effects may explain aspects of the fly's daily activity and have potential clinical implications...
- Impact of gene copy number variation on anesthesia in Drosophila melanogasterDebasmita P Alone
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 3736, USA
Anesthesiology 111:15-24. 2009..Phenotypic effects of copy number variation are commonly observed, but effects on sensitivity to volatile anesthetics have not been assessed in any organism...
- The mushroom body defect gene product is an essential component of the meiosis II spindle apparatus in Drosophila oocytesJames X Yu
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, NIMH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 3736, USA
Genetics 173:243-53. 2006..But the commonalities in its location suggest potential roles for the protein in development of other tissues...
- Drosophila TRP channels require a protein with a distinctive motif encoded by the inaF locusYuzhong Cheng
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:17730-4. 2007..Given the role of INAF-B, these proteins are good candidates for interacting partners of other members of the TRP superfamily...
- Retrograde signaling from the brain to the retina modulates the termination of the light response in DrosophilaShantadurga Rajaram
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 3736, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:17840-5. 2005..Although the mechanism of this retrograde signaling remains to be discerned, the phenomenon establishes a previously unappreciated mode of control of the temporal responsiveness of a primary sensory neuron...
- The role of TDP1 from budding yeast in the repair of DNA damageChunyan Liu
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Institute of Mental Health, 9000 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20892 4034, USA
DNA Repair (Amst) 3:593-601. 2004..The relationship between the role of TDP1 in Saccharomyces and its role in metazoans is discussed...
- A putative cation channel and its novel regulator: cross-species conservation of effects on general anesthesiaJohn A Humphrey
Department of Genetics, Case Medical Center, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Curr Biol 17:624-9. 2007..Thus, the anesthetic signature reflects an evolutionarily conserved role for the na orthologs, implying its intimate involvement in drug action...