Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Wallace M, Mendola P, Chen Z, Hwang B, Grantz K. Preterm Birth in the Context of Increasing Income Inequality. Matern Child Health J. 2016;20:164-71 pubmed publisher..The contextual effect of increasing income inequality on preterm birth risk merits further study. ..
- Mendola P, Sundaram R, Louis G, Sun L, Wallace M, Smarr M, et al. Proximity to major roadways and prospectively-measured time-to-pregnancy and infertility. Sci Total Environ. 2017;576:172-177 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that proximity to major roadways may be related to reductions in fecundity. Prospective data from larger populations is warranted to corroborate these findings. ..
- Nobles C, Schisterman E, Ha S, Kim K, Mumford S, Buck Louis G, et al. Ambient air pollution and semen quality. Environ Res. 2018;163:228-236 pubmed publisher..40, 1.66) greater percent sperm head with acrosome. Air pollution exposure was not associated with semen quality, except for sperm head parameters. Moderate levels of ambient air pollution may not be a major contributor to semen quality. ..
- Flores K, Robledo C, Hwang B, Leishear K, Laughon Grantz K, Mendola P. Does maternal asthma contribute to racial/ethnic disparities in obstetrical and neonatal complications?. Ann Epidemiol. 2015;25:392-397.e1 pubmed publisher..Despite their increased risk for both asthma and many complications, our findings for black women were null. Asthma did not contribute to racial/ethnic disparities in complications. ..
- Ha S, Männistö T, Liu D, Sherman S, Ying Q, Mendola P. Air pollution and cardiovascular events at labor and delivery: a case-crossover analysis. Ann Epidemiol. 2017;27:377-383 pubmed publisher..Inverse associations were observed for O3 and some PM constituents as well as air toxics. Cardiovascular events at labor/delivery merit more attention in relation to air pollution. ..
- Mendola P, Ha S, Pollack A, Zhu Y, Seeni I, Kim S, et al. Chronic and Acute Ozone Exposure in the Week Prior to Delivery Is Associated with the Risk of Stillbirth. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..Both chronic and acute Oâ‚ƒ exposure consistently increased stillbirth risk, while the role of other pollutants varied. Approximately 8000 stillbirths per year in the US may be attributable to Oâ‚ƒ exposure. ..
- Ha S, Nguyen K, Liu D, Männistö T, Nobles C, Sherman S, et al. Ambient temperature and risk of cardiovascular events at labor and delivery: A case-crossover study. Environ Res. 2017;159:622-628 pubmed publisher..Small changes in temperature appear to affect the risk of having cardiovascular events at labor/delivery. Black women had a differentially higher warm season risk. These findings merit further investigation. ..
- Mendola P, Brett K, Dibari J, Pollack A, Tandon R, Shenassa E. Menopause and lead body burden among US women aged 45-55, NHANES 1999-2010. Environ Res. 2013;121:110-3 pubmed publisher..Blood lead was associated with natural menopause in US women even after adjustment for bone turnover. This raises concern that lead exposure, even at low levels, may shorten women's reproductive lifespan. ..
- Ha S, Zhu Y, Liu D, Sherman S, Mendola P. Ambient temperature and air quality in relation to small for gestational age and term low birthweight. Environ Res. 2017;155:394-400 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest prenatal exposures to extreme ambient temperature relative to usual environment may increase tLBW risk. Given concerns related to climate change, these findings merit further investigation. ..