Genomes and Genes
M P Mattson
Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Mattson M. Energy intake and exercise as determinants of brain health and vulnerability to injury and disease. Cell Metab. 2012;16:706-22 pubmed publisher..Intense concerted efforts of governments, families, schools, and physicians will be required to successfully implement brain-healthy lifestyles that incorporate ER and exercise. ..
- Mattson M. Glutamate and neurotrophic factors in neuronal plasticity and disease. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2008;1144:97-112 pubmed publisher..By enhancing neurotrophic factor signaling, environmental factors such as exercise and dietary energy restriction, and chemicals such as antidepressants may optimize glutamatergic signaling and protect against neurological disorders. ..
- Mattson M, Gleichmann M, Cheng A. Mitochondria in neuroplasticity and neurological disorders. Neuron. 2008;60:748-66 pubmed publisher..Advances in understanding the molecular and cell biology of mitochondria are leading to novel approaches for the prevention and treatment of neurological disorders. ..
- Liu Y, Shin S, Zeng X, Zhan M, Gonzalez R, Mueller F, et al. Genome wide profiling of human embryonic stem cells (hESCs), their derivatives and embryonal carcinoma cells to develop base profiles of U.S. Federal government approved hESC lines. BMC Dev Biol. 2006;6:20 pubmed
- Mattson M, Ashery U. No more brain tangles with DeltaNp73. Trends Biochem Sci. 2009;34:6-8 pubmed publisher..These findings provide a novel animal model of AD and a potential therapeutic role for DeltaNp73 inducers. ..
- Mattson M, Meffert M. Roles for NF-kappaB in nerve cell survival, plasticity, and disease. Cell Death Differ. 2006;13:852-60 pubmed..Molecular pathways upstream and downstream of NF-kappaB in neurons are being elucidated and may provide novel targets for therapeutic intervention in various neurological disorders. ..
- Mattson M. Infectious agents and age-related neurodegenerative disorders. Ageing Res Rev. 2004;3:105-20 pubmed..In the case of stroke, blood vessels may be adversely affected by bacteria or viruses resulting in atherosclerosis. ..
- ArgÃ¼elles S, Camandola S, Hutchison E, Cutler R, Ayala A, Mattson M. Molecular control of the amount, subcellular location, and activity state of translation elongation factor 2 in neurons experiencing stress. Free Radic Biol Med. 2013;61:61-71 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal novel molecular mechanisms controlling the differential subcellular localization and activity state of eEF-2 that may influence the survival status of neurons during periods of elevated oxidative stress. ..
- Mattson M, Zhu H, Yu J, Kindy M. Presenilin-1 mutation increases neuronal vulnerability to focal ischemia in vivo and to hypoxia and glucose deprivation in cell culture: involvement of perturbed calcium homeostasis. J Neurosci. 2000;20:1358-64 pubmed..The data further suggest that drugs that stabilize endoplasmic reticulum calcium homeostasis may prove effective in suppressing the neurodegenerative process in AD patients...
- de Mello Coelho V, Cutler R, Bunbury A, Tammara A, Mattson M, Taub D. Age-associated alterations in the levels of cytotoxic lipid molecular species and oxidative stress in the murine thymus are reduced by growth hormone treatment. Mech Ageing Dev. 2017;167:46-55 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, GH treatment attenuated inflammation and age-related increases in oxidative stress and lipotoxicity in the thymus. ..