John R Mascola
Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Asokan M, Rudicell R, Louder M, McKee K, O DELL S, Stewart Jones G, et al. Bispecific Antibodies Targeting Different Epitopes on the HIV-1 Envelope Exhibit Broad and Potent Neutralization. J Virol. 2015;89:12501-12 pubmed publisher..These findings support the use of bispecific antibodies for the prevention or treatment of HIV-1 infection. ..
- Joyce M, Wheatley A, Thomas P, Chuang G, Soto C, Bailer R, et al. Vaccine-Induced Antibodies that Neutralize Group 1 and Group 2 Influenza A Viruses. Cell. 2016;166:609-623 pubmed publisher..We propose the sequence signature-quantified prevalence of these B cells as a metric to guide universal influenza A immunization strategies. ..
- Wu X, Zhang Z, Schramm C, Joyce M, Kwon Y, Zhou T, et al. Maturation and Diversity of the VRC01-Antibody Lineage over 15 Years of Chronic HIV-1 Infection. Cell. 2015;161:470-485 pubmed publisher..This high rate of antibody evolution provides a mechanism by which antibody lineages can achieve extraordinary diversity and, over years of chronic infection, develop effective HIV-1 neutralization. ..
- Cale E, Gorman J, Radakovich N, Crooks E, Osawa K, Tong T, et al. Virus-like Particles Identify an HIV V1V2 Apex-Binding Neutralizing Antibody that Lacks a Protruding Loop. Immunity. 2017;46:777-791.e10 pubmed publisher..The N90-VRC38 lineage thus identifies a solution for V1V2-apex binding that provides a more conventional B cell pathway for vaccine design. ..
- Kwon Y, Chuang G, Zhang B, Bailer R, Doria Rose N, Gindin T, et al. Surface-Matrix Screening Identifies Semi-specific Interactions that Improve Potency of a Near Pan-reactive HIV-1-Neutralizing Antibody. Cell Rep. 2018;22:1798-1809 pubmed publisher..We propose surface-matrix screening as a general method to improve antibodies, with improved semi-specific interactions between antibody and antigen enabling increased potency without compromising breadth. ..
- Zhou T, Doria Rose N, Cheng C, Stewart Jones G, Chuang G, Chambers M, et al. Quantification of the Impact of the HIV-1-Glycan Shield on Antibody Elicitation. Cell Rep. 2017;19:719-732 pubmed publisher..Based on these high titers and exponential relationship, we propose site-selective deglycosylated trimers as priming immunogens to increase the frequency of site-targeting antibodies. ..
- Joyce M, Georgiev I, Yang Y, Druz A, Geng H, Chuang G, et al. Soluble Prefusion Closed DS-SOSIP.664-Env Trimers of Diverse HIV-1 Strains. Cell Rep. 2017;21:2992-3002 pubmed publisher..Structure-based design thus enables the production of prefusion closed HIV-1-Env trimers from dozens of diverse strains. ..