Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- A gastrointestinal stromal tumor in a patient with multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2A and metastatic medullary thyroid cancer to the ovariesRana Malek
Clinical Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disease, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Endocr Pract 14:898-901. 2008..To describe the first reported case of a patient with multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2A and a gastrointestinal stromal tumor, as well as the second reported case of metastatic medullary thyroid cancer to the ovary...
- Treatment of type B insulin resistance: a novel approach to reduce insulin receptor autoantibodiesR Malek
Clinical Endocrine Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Building 10 CRC, Room 5 5940, 10 Center Drive, MSC 1453, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:3641-7. 2010..Blockade of insulin action results in hyperglycemia, hypercatabolism, severe acanthosis nigricans, and hyperandrogenism in women. This rare autoimmune disorder has been treated with various forms of immunosuppression with mixed success...
- The Clinical Center's blood glucose management service: a story in quality integrated careKathryn Feigenbaum
Endocrinology, Nursing, and Patient Care Services, Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health, 10 Center Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892 1530, USA
Diabetes Educ 38:194-206. 2012..The purpose of this article is to describe the blood glucose management service at the Clinical Center...
- Circulating cortisol-associated signature of glucocorticoid-related gene expression in subcutaneous fat of obese subjectsMaria G Pavlatou
Unit on Molecular Hormone Action, Program in Reproductive and Adult Endocrinology, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 21:960-7. 2013..Serum cortisol concentrations fluctuate in a circadian fashion, and glucocorticoids exert strong effects on adipose tissue and induce obesity through the glucocorticoid receptor...
- Thyroid hormone induced brown adipose tissue and amelioration of diabetes in a patient with extreme insulin resistanceMonica C Skarulis
Clinical Endocrine Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1613, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:256-62. 2010..Factors leading to increased BAT are of great interest for its potential role in the treatment of diabetes and obesity...
- Protection from obesity and diabetes by blockade of TGF-β/Smad3 signalingHariom Yadav
Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Obesity Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Clinical Research Center, South Drive and Old Georgetown Road, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Cell Metab 14:67-79. 2011..Together, these results demonstrate that TGF-β signaling regulates glucose tolerance and energy homeostasis and suggest that modulation of TGF-β activity might be an effective treatment strategy for obesity and diabetes...