Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Prostate cancer chemoprevention agent development: the National Cancer Institute, Division of Cancer Prevention portfolioHoward L Parnes
Prostate and Urologic Cancer Researh Group, Division of Cancer Prevention, National Cancer Institute, National Institute of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Urol 171:S68-74; discussion S75. 2004..Two large phase 3 trials, the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial and the Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial, which are ongoing, are also sponsored by the National Cancer Institute...
- Evidence-based medical perspectives: the evolving role of PSA for early detection, monitoring of treatment response, and as a surrogate end point of efficacy for interventions in men with different clinical risk states for the prevention and progression oRonald Lieberman
Division of Cancer Prevention, National Cancer Institute, Rockville, Maryland, USA
Am J Ther 11:501-6. 2004....
- Executive Summary of the National Cancer Institute Workshop: Highlights and recommendationsR Lieberman
National Cancer Institute, Rockville, Maryland, USA
Urology 57:4-27. 2001..Finally, each expert panel generated recommendations for areas of future research emphasizing opportunities and infrastructure needs...
- Evolving strategies for prostate cancer chemoprevention trialsRonald Lieberman
Division of Cancer Prevention, National Cancer Institute, 6130 Executive Blvd Room EPN 2102, Rockville MD 20852, USA
World J Urol 21:3-8. 2003..In summary, a dual strategy for CP is being developed which includes public health measures and a medical intervention approach...
- Prostate cancer chemoprevention: Strategies for designing efficient clinical trialsR Lieberman
National Cancer Institute, Rockville, Maryland 20852, USA
Urology 57:224-9. 2001....
- Chemoprevention of prostate cancer: current status and future directionsRonald Lieberman
Prostate and Urologic Cancer Research Group, Division of Cancer Prevention, National Cancer Institute, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Cancer Metastasis Rev 21:297-309. 2002....
- Development of new cancer chemoprevention agents: role of pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic and intermediate endpoint biomarker monitoringR Lieberman
Chemoprevention Branch, National Cancer Institute, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Clin Chem 44:420-7. 1998..g., laser capture microdissection and cDNA chip microarrays that assess gene expression patterns of precancerous and cancerous lesions...
- Progress in cancer chemopreventionG J Kelloff
National Cancer Institute, Division of Cancer Prevention, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 889:1-13. 1999..g., local delivery to cancer targets, agent combinations, and pharmacodynamically guided dosing)...
- Chemoprevention of superficial bladder cancerR Lieberman
Prostate and Urologic Cancer Research Group, Division of Cancer Prevention, National Cancer Institute, 6130 Executive Boulevard, EPN 201, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Cancer Treat Res 106:237-54. 2001....
- Agents, biomarkers, and cohorts for chemopreventive agent development in prostate cancerG J Kelloff
National Cancer Institute, Division of Cancer Prevention, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Urology 57:46-51. 2001..Cohort selection should be based on various patient characteristics (stage of the disease, previous cancers or premalignant lesions, or high risk factors) and should be conducted within the context of standard treatment...
- Computer-assisted image analysis-derived intermediate endpointsC W Boone
National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Urology 57:129-31. 2001....
- Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of a 72-hour infusion of 9-aminocamptothecin in adult cancer patientsC H Takimoto
National Cancer Institute Navy Medical Oncology Branch, Division of Clinical Sciences, National Cancer Institute, National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, MD 20889 5105, USA
J Clin Oncol 15:1492-501. 1997..To investigate the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of 9-aminocamptothecin (9-AC) infused over 72 hours at doses of 5 to 74 micrograms/m2/h...
- Androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer chemoprevention: current status and future directions for agent developmentR Lieberman
Prostate and Urologic Cancer Research Group, Division of Cancer Prevention, National Cancer Institute, Rockville, Maryland 20852, USA
Urology 58:83-90. 2001..Several agent classes have a strong basis for combination with ADT, including antiproliferatives, antioxidant micronutrients (selenium), antiestrogens, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors)...
- Design and progress of a trial of selenium to prevent prostate cancer among men with high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasiaJames R Marshall
Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15:1479-84. 2006..Subject accrual is expected to be completed by the fall of 2006, with trial completion in 2009...
- The effect of difluoromethylornithine on decreasing prostate size and polyamines in men: results of a year-long phase IIb randomized placebo-controlled chemoprevention trialAnne R Simoneau
Department of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, 101 The City Drive, Route 81, Building 55, Room 304, Orange, CA 92868, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:292-9. 2008..The prostate has high levels of tissue polyamines and has shown sensitivity to DFMO both in vitro and in vivo...
- Lycopene in cancer prevention and treatmentSoley Seren
Department of Internal Medicine, Wayne State University, Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Am J Ther 15:66-81. 2008..Further mechanistic studies and randomized controlled clinical intervention trials with lycopene involving cancer patients are warranted...
- Effect of an epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor on actin remodeling in an in vitro bladder cancer carcinogenesis modelYuSheng Jin
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, Box 951732, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1732, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 5:1754-63. 2006..The findings provide evidence to support erlotinib-based bladder cancer chemoprevention and using actin remodeling as a marker for erlotinib-based intervention trials...
- Flutamide in men with prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia: a randomized, placebo-controlled chemoprevention trialSteven R Alberts
Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Am J Ther 13:291-7. 2006..Quality-of-life measures did not show any differences between the 2 groups. This study showed no evidence of benefit from flutamide as a chemoprevention agent in men with HGPIN...
- Changes in serum proteomic patterns by presurgical alpha-tocopherol and L-selenomethionine supplementation in prostate cancerJeri Kim
Department of Genitourinary Medical Oncology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Lazare Research Building, Room 504, 364 Plantation Street, Worcester, MA 01605-2324, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14:1697-702. 2005..CONCLUSION: In sera from patients with prostate cancer, selenium and vitamin E combined induced statistically significant proteomic pattern changes associated with prostate cancer-free status...
- Antiandrogen, vaccine and combination therapy in patients with nonmetastatic hormone refractory prostate cancerPhilip M Arlen
Laboratory of Tumor Immunology and Biology, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Urol 174:539-46. 2005..9 months from initiation of therapy. CONCLUSIONS: Further studies are merited to investigate the role of combining vaccine with antiandrogen therapy or vaccine followed by vaccine plus antiandrogen therapy in this patient population...
- Prolonged response to nilutamide in a patient with stage D0.5 prostate cancer who previously failed androgen deprivation therapyNushin F Todd
Laboratory of Tumor Immunology and Biology, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Am J Ther 12:172-4. 2005..Further investigation of the potential role of nilutamide therapy as second-line antiandrogen therapy is warranted as monotherapy and/or in combination with other promising novel approaches including PSA-based vaccines...
- A pilot surrogate end point biomarker trial of perillyl alcohol in breast neoplasiaVered Stearns
Breast Cancer Program, Department of Oncology, Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C, USA
Clin Cancer Res 10:7583-91. 2004..Further investigations must overcome logistical obstacles to accrual, and they must focus on approaches to maximize tissue collection and to incorporate genomic analysis of target lesions...
- Clinical trials referral resource. Current NCI-sponsored clinical trials in prostate cancer: prevention, treatment, supportive care, and imagingAlison Martin
National Cancer Institute, Division of Cancer Treatment and Diagnosis, Bethesda, MD, USA
Oncology (Williston Park) 17:1097-8, 1103-5, 1110-6. 2003