Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Expression of miRNAs and their cooperative regulation of the pathophysiology in traumatic brain injuryZhonghua Hu
Unit on Synapse Development and Plasticity, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e39357. 2012..These pathways can potentially be targeted for development of novel TBI treatment...
- Caspases in synaptic plasticityZheng Li
Unit on Synapse Development and Plasticity, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Mol Brain 5:15. 2012..In this article, we review the studies on the non-apoptotic functions of caspases in neurons, with a focus on their roles in synaptic plasticity, learning and memory and neurodegeneration...
- Caspase-3 activation via mitochondria is required for long-term depression and AMPA receptor internalizationZheng Li
The Picower Institute for Learning and Memory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Cell 141:859-71. 2010..NMDA receptor stimulation that induces LTD transiently activates caspase-3 in dendrites, without causing cell death. These data indicate an unexpected causal link between the molecular mechanisms of apoptosis and LTD...
- The importance of dendritic mitochondria in the morphogenesis and plasticity of spines and synapsesZheng Li
The Picower Center for Learning and Memory, RIKEN MIT Neuroscience Research Center, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Cell 119:873-87. 2004..Reciprocally, synaptic activity modulates the motility and fusion/fission balance of mitochondria and controls mitochondrial distribution in dendrites...
- Age-dependent regulation of synaptic connections by dopamine D2 receptorsJie Min Jia
Unit on Synapse Development and Plasticity, National Institute of Mental Health, US National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Nat Neurosci 16:1627-36. 2013....
- Nonapoptotic function of BAD and BAX in long-term depression of synaptic transmissionSong Jiao
Unit on Synapse Development and Plasticity, Genes, Cognition and Psychosis Program, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Neuron 70:758-72. 2011..We further demonstrate that the intensity and duration of caspase-3 activation determine whether it leads to cell death or LTD, thus fine-tuning of caspase-3 activation is critical in distinguishing between these two pathways...
- miR-191 and miR-135 are required for long-lasting spine remodelling associated with synaptic long-term depressionZhonghua Hu
Unit on Synapse Development and Plasticity, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nat Commun 5:3263. 2014..These findings reveal a miRNA-mediated mechanism and a role for AMPA receptor exocytosis in long-lasting spine plasticity, and identify a number of candidate miRNAs involved in LTD. ..
- The novel caspase-3 substrate Gap43 is involved in AMPA receptor endocytosis and long-term depressionMeng Hsuan Han
National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Mol Cell Proteomics 12:3719-31. 2013..Our study has identified Gap43 as a key caspase-3 substrate involved in LTD and AMPA receptor endocytosis, uncovered a novel postsynaptic function for Gap43 and provided new insights into how long-term synaptic depression is induced. ..
- Activation of Rho GTPases in Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome: pathophysiological and clinical implicationsXiao Sheng Jiang
Section on Molecular Dysmorphology, Program in Developmental Endocrinology and Genetics, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Hum Mol Genet 19:1347-57. 2010..Developmental abnormalities of neuronal process formation may contribute to the neurocognitive deficits found in SLOS and may represent a potential target for therapeutic intervention...
- NMDA Receptor-Dependent LTD Is Required for Consolidation But Not Acquisition of Fear MemoryXing Liu
Unit on Synapse Development and Plasticity, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, and The State Key Laboratory of Medical Neurobiology and Pharmacology Research Center, Shanghai Medical College and Institutes of Brain Science, Fudan University, Shanghai 200032, People s Republic of China
J Neurosci 34:8741-8. 2014..These findings indicate that NMDAR-LTD is required for consolidation, but not the acquisition of fear memory. Our study also shows that Bax plays an important role in depressive behavior. ..
- Temporal course of changes in gene expression suggests a cytokine-related mechanism for long-term hippocampal alteration after controlled cortical impactCamila P Almeida-Suhett
1 Program in Neuroscience, F Edward Hébert School of Medicine Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland
J Neurotrauma 31:683-90. 2014..These transcriptional responses to mTBI may underlie long-term changes in excitatory and inhibitory neuronal imbalance in hippocampus, leading to long-term behavioral consequences of mTBI...
- Some assembly required: the development of neuronal synapsesZheng Li
The Picower Center for Learning and Memory, RIKEN Massachusetts Institute of Technology Neuroscience Research Center, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, 02139, USA
Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 4:833-41. 2003
- Leucine-rich repeat kinase 2 regulates the progression of neuropathology induced by Parkinson's-disease-related mutant alpha-synucleinXian Lin
Unit of Transgenesis, Laboratory of Neurogenetics, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Neuron 64:807-27. 2009....