Peter D Kwong
Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Georgiev I, Joyce M, Yang Y, Sastry M, Zhang B, Baxa U, et al. Single-Chain Soluble BG505.SOSIP gp140 Trimers as Structural and Antigenic Mimics of Mature Closed HIV-1 Env. J Virol. 2015;89:5318-29 pubmed publisher..SOSIP, as they would not require furin cleavage to achieve mimicry of mature Env spikes on virions. ..
- Kwong P, Mascola J. Human antibodies that neutralize HIV-1: identification, structures, and B cell ontogenies. Immunity. 2012;37:412-25 pubmed publisher..The human immune system is capable of developing antibodies that broadly neutralize HIV-1--and an increasingly detailed view is accumulating for how effective immunity against HIV-1 can be generated. ..
- Rutten L, Lai Y, Blokland S, Truan D, Bisschop I, Strokappe N, et al. A Universal Approach to Optimize the Folding and Stability of Prefusion-Closed HIV-1 Envelope Trimers. Cell Rep. 2018;23:584-595 pubmed publisher..Our approach provides a means to produce prefusion-closed Env trimers from diverse HIV-1 strains, a substantial advance for vaccine development. ..
- Cale E, Gorman J, Radakovich N, Crooks E, Osawa K, Tong T, et al. Virus-like Particles Identify an HIV V1V2 Apex-Binding Neutralizing Antibody that Lacks a Protruding Loop. Immunity. 2017;46:777-791.e10 pubmed publisher..The N90-VRC38 lineage thus identifies a solution for V1V2-apex binding that provides a more conventional B cell pathway for vaccine design. ..
- Kwon Y, Chuang G, Zhang B, Bailer R, Doria Rose N, Gindin T, et al. Surface-Matrix Screening Identifies Semi-specific Interactions that Improve Potency of a Near Pan-reactive HIV-1-Neutralizing Antibody. Cell Rep. 2018;22:1798-1809 pubmed publisher..We propose surface-matrix screening as a general method to improve antibodies, with improved semi-specific interactions between antibody and antigen enabling increased potency without compromising breadth. ..
- Wu X, Zhang Z, Schramm C, Joyce M, Kwon Y, Zhou T, et al. Maturation and Diversity of the VRC01-Antibody Lineage over 15 Years of Chronic HIV-1 Infection. Cell. 2015;161:470-485 pubmed publisher..This high rate of antibody evolution provides a mechanism by which antibody lineages can achieve extraordinary diversity and, over years of chronic infection, develop effective HIV-1 neutralization. ..
- Zhou T, Doria Rose N, Cheng C, Stewart Jones G, Chuang G, Chambers M, et al. Quantification of the Impact of the HIV-1-Glycan Shield on Antibody Elicitation. Cell Rep. 2017;19:719-732 pubmed publisher..Based on these high titers and exponential relationship, we propose site-selective deglycosylated trimers as priming immunogens to increase the frequency of site-targeting antibodies. ..
- Kwong P, Wilson I. HIV-1 and influenza antibodies: seeing antigens in new ways. Nat Immunol. 2009;10:573-8 pubmed publisher..We outline how each of these different modes of antibody recognition is particularly suited to overcoming a specific viral evasion tactic and assess potential routes of re-elicitation in vaccine settings. ..
- Joyce M, Wheatley A, Thomas P, Chuang G, Soto C, Bailer R, et al. Vaccine-Induced Antibodies that Neutralize Group 1 and Group 2 Influenza A Viruses. Cell. 2016;166:609-623 pubmed publisher..We propose the sequence signature-quantified prevalence of these B cells as a metric to guide universal influenza A immunization strategies. ..
- Bonsignori M, Zhou T, Sheng Z, Chen L, Gao F, Joyce M, et al. Maturation Pathway from Germline to Broad HIV-1 Neutralizer of a CD4-Mimic Antibody. Cell. 2016;165:449-63 pubmed publisher..We integrated our CH235-lineage findings with a second broadly neutralizing lineage and HIV-1 co-evolution to suggest a vaccination strategy for inducing both lineages. ..
- Joyce M, Georgiev I, Yang Y, Druz A, Geng H, Chuang G, et al. Soluble Prefusion Closed DS-SOSIP.664-Env Trimers of Diverse HIV-1 Strains. Cell Rep. 2017;21:2992-3002 pubmed publisher..Structure-based design thus enables the production of prefusion closed HIV-1-Env trimers from dozens of diverse strains. ..
- Lemmin T, Soto C, Stuckey J, Kwong P. Microsecond Dynamics and Network Analysis of the HIV-1 SOSIP Env Trimer Reveal Collective Behavior and Conserved Microdomains of the Glycan Shield. Structure. 2017;25:1631-1639.e2 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results provide a microsecond-based understanding of the Env glycan shield. ..
- Kwong P, Doyle M, Casper D, Cicala C, Leavitt S, Majeed S, et al. HIV-1 evades antibody-mediated neutralization through conformational masking of receptor-binding sites. Nature. 2002;420:678-82 pubmed..Because this solution is available for cell-surface receptors but not for most antibodies, conformational masking enables HIV-1 to maintain receptor binding and simultaneously to resist neutralization. ..