Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Koutros S, Silverman D, Baris D, Zahm S, Morton L, Colt J, et al. Hair dye use and risk of bladder cancer in the New England bladder cancer study. Int J Cancer. 2011;129:2894-904 pubmed publisher..These results need confirmation with larger numbers, requiring pooling data from multiple studies. ..
- Koutros S, Silverman D, Alavanja M, Andreotti G, Lerro C, Heltshe S, et al. Occupational exposure to pesticides and bladder cancer risk. Int J Epidemiol. 2016;45:792-805 pubmed publisher....
- Koutros S, Schumacher F, Hayes R, Ma J, Huang W, Albanes D, et al. Pooled analysis of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase pathway variants and risk of prostate cancer. Cancer Res. 2010;70:2389-96 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we observed a significant association between PIK3C2B and prostate cancer risk, especially for familial, early-onset disease, which may be attributable to IGF-dependent PI3K signaling. ..
- Koutros S, Mahajan R, Zheng T, Hoppin J, Ma X, Lynch C, et al. Dichlorvos exposure and human cancer risk: results from the Agricultural Health Study. Cancer Causes Control. 2008;19:59-65 pubmed..18 (95% CI 0.73, 1.82). We find little evidence of an association between cumulative lifetime use of DDVP and risk of any cancer at this stage of follow up of the AHS. ..
- Koutros S, Berndt S, Sinha R, Ma X, Chatterjee N, Alavanja M, et al. Xenobiotic metabolizing gene variants, dietary heterocyclic amine intake, and risk of prostate cancer. Cancer Res. 2009;69:1877-84 pubmed publisher..The observed effect provides evidence to support the hypothesis that HCAs may act as promoters of malignant transformation by altering mitogenic signaling. ..
- Koutros S, Beane Freeman L, Berndt S, Andreotti G, Lubin J, Sandler D, et al. Pesticide use modifies the association between genetic variants on chromosome 8q24 and prostate cancer. Cancer Res. 2010;70:9224-33 pubmed publisher..This is the first report of effect modification between 8q24 and an environmental exposure on prostate cancer risk. ..
- Koutros S, Beane Freeman L, Lubin J, Heltshe S, Andreotti G, Barry K, et al. Risk of total and aggressive prostate cancer and pesticide use in the Agricultural Health Study. Am J Epidemiol. 2013;177:59-74 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this is the first time specific pesticides are implicated as risk factors for aggressive prostate cancer. ..
- Wilcox A, Silverman D, Friesen M, Locke S, Russ D, Hyun N, et al. Smoking status, usual adult occupation, and risk of recurrent urothelial bladder carcinoma: data from The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA) Project. Cancer Causes Control. 2016;27:1429-1435 pubmed..In addition to the known causal relationship between occupational exposure and bladder cancer risk, our study suggests that occupation may also be related to increased risk of recurrence. ..