J W Kinney
Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Peripheral administration of urocortin suppresses operant responding for food rewardJ W Kinney
Section on Behavioral Neuropharmacology, NIMH, Bethesda, MD 20892 1375, USA
Peptides 22:583-7. 2001..These data indicated that the peripheral administration of urocortin reduced the motivation of food deprived subjects to respond...
- Deficits in trace cued fear conditioning in galanin-treated rats and galanin-overexpressing transgenic miceJefferson W Kinney
Section on Behavioral Genomics, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Learn Mem 9:178-90. 2002..These findings are the first demonstration that galanin impairs performance on an emotional memory task and support the hypothesis that galanin-induced deficits are specific to more difficult cognitive tasks...
- Galanin peptide levels in hippocampus and cortex of galanin-overexpressing transgenic mice evaluated for cognitive performanceC C Wrenn
Section on Behavioral Genomics, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Neuropeptides 36:413-26. 2002..Several interpretations of these findings are discussed, including the possibility that a threshold level of galanin overexpression is sufficient to impair performance on learning and memory tasks in mice...
- Galanin GAL-R1 receptor null mutant mice display increased anxiety-like behavior specific to the elevated plus-mazeAndrew Holmes
Section on Behavioral Genomics, National Institute of Mental Health, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 28:1031-44. 2003..These behavioral findings in the first galanin receptor null mutant mouse are consistent with the hypothesis that galanin exerts anxiolytic actions via the GAL-R1 receptor under conditions of relatively high stress...
- Central galanin administration blocks consolidation of spatial learningJefferson W Kinney
Section on Behavioral Genomics, National Institute of Mental Health, Galanin Inhibits Consolidation, Building 10 Room 4011, Bethesda, MD 20892 1375, USA
Neurobiol Learn Mem 80:42-54. 2003..A potential mechanism by which galanin produces this impairment may involve the inhibition of adenylate cyclase activity, leading to inhibition of downstream molecular events that are necessary for consolidation of long-term memory...
- Learning and memory performance in mice lacking the GAL-R1 subtype of galanin receptorCraige C Wrenn
Laboratory of Behavioural Neuroscience, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1375, USA
Eur J Neurosci 19:1384-96. 2004..The generally normal phenotype of GAL-R1 null mutants supports the use of this line for identification of the receptor subtypes that mediate the cognitive deficits produced by exogenous galanin...
- Galanin impairs performance on learning and memory tasks: findings from galanin transgenic and GAL-R1 knockout miceNathan R Rustay
Laboratory of Behavioral Neuroscience, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Neuropeptides 39:239-43. 2005..The growing body of rodent literature implicating excess GAL in cognitive impairment is relevant to the overexpression of GAL in the basal forebrain during the progression of Alzheimer's disease...
- A role for galanin in antidepressant actions with a focus on the dorsal raphe nucleusXiaoying Lu
Department of Neuropharmacology and The Harold L Dorris Neurological Research Center, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:874-9. 2005....
- A novel, systemically active, selective galanin receptor type-3 ligand exhibits antidepressant-like activity in preclinical testsAlasdair M Barr
Department of Molecular and Integrative Neurosciences, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA, United States
Neurosci Lett 405:111-5. 2006..These combined data from two species indicate that GalR3 receptor antagonists may exhibit antidepressant-like effects...