Thomas C Jhou
Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- The mesopontine rostromedial tegmental nucleus: A structure targeted by the lateral habenula that projects to the ventral tegmental area of Tsai and substantia nigra compactaThomas C Jhou
Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21218, USA
J Comp Neurol 513:566-96. 2009..The RMTg may integrate multiple forebrain and brainstem inputs in relation to a dominant LHb input. Its outputs to neuromodulatory projection systems likely converge with direct LHb projections to those structures...
- Cocaine drives aversive conditioning via delayed activation of dopamine-responsive habenular and midbrain pathwaysThomas C Jhou
Behavioral Neuroscience Research Branch and Electrophysiology Research Section, National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Neurosci 33:7501-12. 2013..Together, these results indicate that LHb/RMTg pathways contribute critically to cocaine-induced avoidance behaviors, while also participating in reciprocally inhibitory interactions with dopamine neurons...
- Negative reward signals from the lateral habenula to dopamine neurons are mediated by rostromedial tegmental nucleus in primatesSimon Hong
Laboratory of Sensorimotor Research, National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Neurosci 31:11457-71. 2011..Thus, our data suggest that the RMTg translates LHb reward-prediction errors (negative) into DA reward-prediction errors (positive), while transmitting additional motivational signals to non-DA networks...
- Rewarding and incentive motivational effects of excitatory amino acid receptor antagonists into the median raphe and adjacent regions of the ratSierra M Webb
Behavioral Neuroscience Branch, National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, 251 Bayview Blvd, Suite 200, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 224:401-12. 2012..This process may be mediated by many neurotransmitter systems and a network of many brain structures, including the median and dorsal raphe regions (MR and DR, respectively)...
- Mapping of reinforcing and analgesic effects of the mu opioid agonist endomorphin-1 in the ventral midbrain of the ratThomas C Jhou
Behavioral Neuroscience Branch, National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Baltimore, MD, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 224:303-12. 2012....
- The rostromedial tegmental nucleus (RMTg), a GABAergic afferent to midbrain dopamine neurons, encodes aversive stimuli and inhibits motor responsesThomas C Jhou
Behavioral Neuroscience Branch, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Neuron 61:786-800. 2009..These findings suggest that aversive inputs from widespread brain regions and stimulus modalities converge onto the RMTg, which opposes reward and motor-activating functions of midbrain dopamine neurons...