Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Estimating incidence of dementia subtypes: assessing the impact of missed casesG Izmirlian
Epidemiology Demography and Biometry Program, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Gateway Bldg, Suite 3C 309, 7201 Wisconsin Ave, Bethesda, MD 20892 9205, USA
Stat Med 19:1577-91. 2000..Subsequently, shrinkage estimation methods are applied to provide more precise estimates of the rates. Published in 2000 by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd...
- Application of the random forest classification algorithm to a SELDI-TOF proteomics study in the setting of a cancer prevention trialGrant Izmirlian
Biometry Research Group, Division of Cancer Prevention, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, DHHS, Executive Plaza North, Suite 3131, 6130 Executive Boulevard, MSC 7354, Bethesda, MD 20852, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1020:154-74. 2004....
- Grip strength changes over 27 yr in Japanese-American menT Rantanen
Epidemiology, Demography, and Biometry Program, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 85:2047-53. 1998..In old age, maintenance of optimal body mass may help prevent steep strength decrease and poor absolute strength...
- Active life expectancy from annual follow-up data with missing responsesG Izmirlian
Epidemiology, Demography, and Biometry Program, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Biometrics 56:244-8. 2000..Data from the Iowa Established Population for the Epidemiologic Study of the Elderly are used to test the effects of smoking on ALE on all 5-year age groups past 65 years, controlling for sex and education...
- APOE-epsilon4 predicts incident AD in Japanese-American men: the honolulu-asia aging studyR J Havlik
Epidemiology, Demography and Biometry Program, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Neurology 54:1526-9. 2000..Men with an APOE4 allele had a significantly increased risk of AD of 2.39 (95% CI, 1.07, 5.31), after adjusting for age and education. There was no significant relationship of APOE4 with other subtypes of dementia...
- Racial differences in muscle strength in disabled older womenT Rantanen
Epidemiology, Demography and Biometry Program, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 53:B355-61. 1998..Physical activity and exercise programs may be feasible ways to prevent worsening of disability in blacks and whites...
- Incidence and remission of insomnia among elderly adults in a biracial cohortD J Foley
Epidemiology, Demography, and Biometry Program, National Institute on Aging, Bethesda, MD 20892-9205, USA
Sleep 22:S373-8. 1999..Regardless of race, women are less likely than men to resolve their insomnia. The high prevalence and incidence of morbidity in elderly African-American women may contribute to their high rate of insomnia...
- Educational differences in the prevalence of mobility disability in old age: the dynamics of incidence, mortality, and recoveryD Melzer
Epidemiology, Demography, and Biometry Office, National Institute on Aging, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 56:S294-301. 2001..This study aimed to establish the relative contributions of incidence, recovery rates, and death to prevalence differences in mobility disability associated with educational status...
- Comparative effects of DHEA and DHT on gene expression in human LNCaP prostate cancer cellsVernon E Steele
Endocrine Section, Laboratory of Clinical Investigation, Division of Intramural Research, National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Anticancer Res 26:3205-15. 2006..Because DHEA can be converted to androgens or estrogens, such use may promote prostate cancer. In this study, the effects of DHEA were compared with those of DHT using gene expression array profiles in human LNCaP prostate cancer cells...
- Modeling the dissemination of mammography in the United StatesKathleen A Cronin
Statistical Research and Applications Branch, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, Applied Research Branch, National Cancer Institute NIH, MSC 8317, Suite 504, 6116 Executive Boulevard, Bethesda, MD 20892 7359, USA
Cancer Causes Control 16:701-12. 2005..This paper presents a methodology for piecing together disparate data sources to obtain a comprehensive model for the use of mammography screening in the US population for the years 1975-2000...
- Overview of commonly used bioinformatics methods and their applicationsIzet M Kapetanovic
Chemopreventive Agent Development Research Group, Division of Cancer Prevention, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 7322, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1020:10-21. 2004..The goal of these efforts is to develop and identify bioinformatics methods with optimal sensitivity, specificity, and predictive capabilities...
- Response to 'Receiver operating characteristics of the prostate-specific antigen test in an unselected population'Grant Izmirlian
J Med Screen 13:214; author reply 215. 2006
- Prostate Cancer Screening in the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) Cancer Screening Trial: findings from the initial screening round of a randomized trialGerald L Andriole
Division of Urologic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 97:433-8. 2005..We describe the population enrolled in the PLCO trial, their baseline PSA and DRE screening results, and diagnostic follow-up results during the first year of follow-up...
- Ovarian cancer screening in the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) cancer screening trial: findings from the initial screen of a randomized trialSaundra S Buys
Huntsman Cancer Institute, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112 5550, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 193:1630-9. 2005..Ovarian cancer screening with transvaginal ultrasound (TVU) and CA-125 was evaluated in the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) Trial...