S E Hyman
Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- National Institute of Mental Health goals for behavioral scienceS E Hyman
National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Exp Clin Psychopharmacol 8:271-2. 2000....
- Addiction and the brain: the neurobiology of compulsion and its persistenceS E Hyman
National Institute of Mental Health, 6001 Executive Boulevard, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 9669, USA
Nat Rev Neurosci 2:695-703. 2001..Here we review evidence for the possibility that compulsion and its persistence are based on a pathological usurpation of molecular mechanisms that are normally involved in memory...
- 5-HT3 receptor activation is required for induction of striatal c-Fos and phosphorylation of ATF-1 by amphetamineL M Genova
Program in Neuroscience, Harvard University, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Synapse 30:71-8. 1998..These results suggest that 5-HT3 receptor activation may be required for amphetamine-induced expression of ATF-1-regulated target genes in the striatum, which may include c-Fos...
- Inhibiting activator protein-1 activity alters cocaine-induced gene expression and potentiates sensitizationR F Paletzki
Laboratory of Molecular Pathophysiology, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, NIH, Building 36, Room 4C 24, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Neuroscience 152:1040-53. 2008..The chromosomal location of these 84 genes was compared with human genome scans of addiction to identify potential genes in humans that are involved in addiction...
- Dopamine and glutamate induce distinct striatal splice forms of Ania-6, an RNA polymerase II-associated cyclinJ D Berke
Molecular Plasticity Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Neuron 32:277-87. 2001..Distinct types of neuronal stimulation may therefore differentially modulate nuclear RNA processing, through altered transcription and splicing of ania-6...
- The genetics of mental illness: implications for practiceS E Hyman
National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 9669, USA
Bull World Health Organ 78:455-63. 2000..Genetics should yield new therapies aimed not just at symptoms but also at pathogenic processes, thus permitting the targeting of specific therapies to individual patients...
- A complex program of striatal gene expression induced by dopaminergic stimulationJ D Berke
Molecular Plasticity Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Neurosci 18:5301-10. 1998..Thus we have identified novel components of a complex, coordinated genetic program that is induced in striatal cells in response to various dopaminergic manipulations...