D S Goldstein
Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Isonaka R, Holmes C, Cook G, Sullivan P, Sharabi Y, Goldstein D. Pure autonomic failure without synucleinopathy. Clin Auton Res. 2017;27:97-101 pubmed publisher..In pure autonomic failure, sympathetic noradrenergic denervation can occur without concurrent Lewy bodies or alpha-synuclein deposition in the brain or sympathetic ganglion tissue. ..
- Goldstein D, Holmes C, Sullivan P, Donadio V, Isonaka R, Zhong E, et al. Autoimmunity-associated autonomic failure with sympathetic denervation. Clin Auton Res. 2017;27:57-62 pubmed publisher..Clinical laboratory testing indicated variable amounts of sympathetic neuronal re-sprouting in the heart, kidneys, eyes, and body as a whole upon follow-up evaluation after 1.5Â years. ..
- Goldstein D, Sewell L, Holmes C. Association of anosmia with autonomic failure in Parkinson disease. Neurology. 2010;74:245-51 pubmed publisher..In Parkinson disease, anosmia is associated with baroreflex failure and cardiac and organ-selective extracardiac noradrenergic denervation, independently of parkinsonism or striatal dopaminergic denervation. ..
- Jinsmaa Y, Sullivan P, Sharabi Y, Goldstein D. DOPAL is transmissible to and oligomerizes alpha-synuclein in human glial cells. Auton Neurosci. 2016;194:46-51 pubmed publisher..DOPAL is transmissible to glial cells and enhances intracellular oligomerization of AS. An interaction of DOPAL with AS might help explain the formation of CGIs in MSA. ..
- Isonaka R, Sullivan P, Jinsmaa Y, Corrales A, Goldstein D. Spectrum of abnormalities of sympathetic tyrosine hydroxylase and alpha-synuclein in chronic autonomic failure. Clin Auton Res. 2018;: pubmed publisher..Sympathetic denervation and intraneuronal AS deposition are correlated across CAF syndromes, consistent with a pathogenic contribution of synucleinopathy to cardiac noradrenergic deficiency in Lewy body diseases. ..
- Goldstein D, Sullivan P, Holmes C, Mash D, Kopin I, Sharabi Y. Determinants of denervation-independent depletion of putamen dopamine in Parkinson's disease and multiple system atrophy. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2017;35:88-91 pubmed publisher..The combination seems to contribute importantly to dopamine depletion in these diseases. ..
- Goldstein D, Jinsmaa Y, Sullivan P, Holmes C, Kopin I, Sharabi Y. 3,4-Dihydroxyphenylethanol (Hydroxytyrosol) Mitigates the Increase in Spontaneous Oxidation of Dopamine During Monoamine Oxidase Inhibition in PC12 Cells. Neurochem Res. 2016;41:2173-8 pubmed publisher..Hydroxytyrosol therefore inhibits both enzymatic and spontaneous oxidation of endogenous dopamine and mitigates the increase in spontaneous oxidation during MAO inhibition. ..
- Goldstein D, Holmes C, Kaler S. Relative efficiencies of plasma catechol levels and ratios for neonatal diagnosis of menkes disease. Neurochem Res. 2009;34:1464-8 pubmed publisher..Plasma DA:NE and DOPAC:DHPG ratios are remarkably sensitive and specific for diagnosing Menkes disease in at-risk newborns. Affected newborns also have elevated DOPA and EPI:NE ratios, which decreased DBH activity alone cannot explain. ..
- Goldstein D, Holmes C. Neuronal source of plasma dopamine. Clin Chem. 2008;54:1864-71 pubmed publisher..Plasma DA is derived substantially from sympathetic noradrenergic nerves. ..
- Goldstein D, Holmes C, Sullivan P, Jinsmaa Y, Kopin I, Sharabi Y. Elevated cerebrospinal fluid ratios of cysteinyl-dopamine/3,4-dihydroxyphenylacetic acid in parkinsonian synucleinopathies. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2016;31:79-86 pubmed publisher..05 ± 0.01). CSF Cys-DA/DOPAC ratios are substantially increased in PD and MSA-P and are normal in PAF. Thus, in synucleinopathies an elevated CSF Cys-DA/DOPAC ratio seems to provide a specific biomarker of parkinsonism. ..
- Goldstein D, Cheshire W. The autonomic medical history. Clin Auton Res. 2017;27:223-233 pubmed publisher..The chronology and pattern of these symptoms combine to create a portrait of autonomic function or dysfunction. We summarize the steps in obtaining a comprehensive autonomic medical history. ..
- Goldstein D, Kopin I. Linking Stress, Catecholamine Autotoxicity, and Allostatic Load with Neurodegenerative Diseases: A Focused Review in Memory of Richard Kvetnansky. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2018;38:13-24 pubmed publisher..Chronically repeated episodes of stress-related catecholamine release and reuptake, with attendant increases in formation of the toxic dopamine metabolite 3,4-dihydroxyphenylacetaldehyde, might accelerate this process. ..
- Goldstein D, Sullivan P, Holmes C, Kopin I, Basile M, Mash D. Catechols in post-mortem brain of patients with Parkinson disease. Eur J Neurol. 2011;18:703-10 pubmed publisher..Elevated levels of cytosolic DOPAL might contribute to loss of dopaminergic neurons in Parkinson disease. ..
- Goldstein D, Sullivan P, Holmes C, Miller G, Alter S, Strong R, et al. Determinants of buildup of the toxic dopamine metabolite DOPAL in Parkinson's disease. J Neurochem. 2013;126:591-603 pubmed publisher..Elevated DOPAL levels in PD putamen reflect a combination of decreased vesicular uptake of cytosolic DA and decreased DOPAL detoxification by ALDH. ..
- Haddad M, Patel K, Sullivan P, Goldstein D, Murphy K, Centeno J, et al. Molecular and biochemical characterization of Mottled-dappled, an embryonic lethal Menkes disease mouse model. Mol Genet Metab. 2014;113:294-300 pubmed publisher..Our results delineate the molecular details of the Mo-dp mutation for the first time and define novel biochemical findings in heterozygous female carriers of this allele. ..
- Goldstein D, Holmes C, Sharabi Y, Brentzel S, Eisenhofer G. Plasma levels of catechols and metanephrines in neurogenic orthostatic hypotension. Neurology. 2003;60:1327-32 pubmed..From the concept of a unitary sympathoadrenomedullary system, one might predict parallel sympathoneural and adrenomedullary abnormalities in NOH...
- Goldstein D, Holmes C, Imrich R. Clinical laboratory evaluation of autoimmune autonomic ganglionopathy: Preliminary observations. Auton Neurosci. 2009;146:18-21 pubmed publisher..PAF entails cardiac sympathetic denervation, whereas cardiac sympathetic neuroimaging by thoracic 6-[(18)F]fluorodopamine scanning indicates intact myocardial sympathetic innervation in AAG...
- Goldstein D, Cheshire W. Beat-to-beat blood pressure and heart rate responses to the Valsalva maneuver. Clin Auton Res. 2017;27:361-367 pubmed publisher..The quantifiable change in cardiac interbeat interval per unit change in systolic pressure during the maneuver can identify baroreflex-cardiovagal failure. ..
- Goldstein D, Holmes C, Lopez G, Wu T, Sharabi Y. Cardiac sympathetic denervation predicts PD in at-risk individuals. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2017;: pubmed publisher..Here we report results from a small prospective cohort study about the utility of neuroimaging evidence of cardiac sympathetic denervation in predicting PD among individuals with multiple PD risk factors...
- Goldstein D, Sharabi Y. The heart of PD: Lewy body diseases as neurocardiologic disorders. Brain Res. 2017;: pubmed publisher..Decreasing DOPAL production and oxidation might slow the neurodegenerative process. Tracking cardiac sympathetic innervation over time could be the basis for a proof of principle experimental therapeutics trial targeting DOPAL...
- Goldstein D, Kopin I. Homeostatic systems, biocybernetics, and autonomic neuroscience. Auton Neurosci. 2017;208:15-28 pubmed publisher..Our general proposal is that disintegration of homeostatic systems causes disorders of regulation in degenerative diseases and that medical cybernetics can inspire and rationalize new approaches to treatment and prevention. ..
- Goldstein D, Jinsmaa Y, Sullivan P, Sharabi Y. N-Acetylcysteine Prevents the Increase in Spontaneous Oxidation of Dopamine During Monoamine Oxidase Inhibition in PC12 Cells. Neurochem Res. 2017;42:3289-3295 pubmed publisher..NAC therefore mitigates the increase in spontaneous oxidation of dopamine during MAO inhibition. ..
- Goldstein D, Pechnik S, Moak J, Eldadah B. Painful sweating. Neurology. 2004;63:1471-5 pubmed..The authors report a case of spontaneous and gustatory facial pain and sweating...
- Goldstein D, Holmes C, Kaufmann H, Freeman R. Clinical pharmacokinetics of the norepinephrine precursor L-threo-DOPS in primary chronic autonomic failure. Clin Auton Res. 2004;14:363-8 pubmed....
- Goldstein D, Eisenhofer G, Kopin I. Clinical catecholamine neurochemistry: a legacy of Julius Axelrod. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2006;26:695-702 pubmed..2. Here, we provide examples of this aspect of Axelrod's scientific legacy...
- Goldstein D, Eisenhofer G, Kopin I. Sources and significance of plasma levels of catechols and their metabolites in humans. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2003;305:800-11 pubmed..This article provides an update about plasma levels of catechols and their metabolites and the relevance of those levels to some issues in human health and disease...
- Goldstein D, Imrich R, Peckham E, Holmes C, Lopez G, Crews C, et al. Neurocirculatory and nigrostriatal abnormalities in Parkinson disease from LRRK2 mutation. Neurology. 2007;69:1580-4 pubmed..The results fit with the concept that in LRRK2 PD, parkinsonism, cardiac sympathetic denervation, and baroreflex failure can result from a common pathogenetic process. ..
- Landrock K, Sullivan P, Martini Stoica H, Goldstein D, Graham B, Yamamoto S, et al. Pleiotropic neuropathological and biochemical alterations associated with Myo5a mutation in a rat Model. Brain Res. 2018;1679:155-170 pubmed publisher....
- Goldstein D, Eldadah B, Sharabi Y, Axelrod F. Cardiac sympathetic hypo-innervation in familial dysautonomia. Clin Auton Res. 2008;18:115-9 pubmed publisher..Whether such loss extends to sympathetic innervation of the heart has been unknown. This study used 6-[(18)F]fluorodopamine neuroimaging to assess cardiac sympathetic innervation and function in FD...