Courtney D Fitzhugh
Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Cardiopulmonary complications leading to premature deaths in adult patients with sickle cell diseaseCourtney D Fitzhugh
Molecular and Clinical Hematology Branch, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute and National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive, and Kidney Diseases NIH, 9000 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Am J Hematol 85:36-40. 2010..Further, arrhythmia leading to premature death is under-recognized in SCD and warrants further investigation...
- Nonmyeloablative HLA-matched sibling allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for severe sickle cell phenotypeMatthew M Hsieh
Molecular and Clinical Hematology Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, Maryland2National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, Bethesda, Maryland
JAMA 312:48-56. 2014..Nonmyeloablative transplantation has been attempted with degrees of preparative regimen intensity, but graft rejection and graft-vs-host disease remain significant...
- Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for patients with sickle cell disease: progress and future directionsCourtney D Fitzhugh
9000 Rockville Pike, Building 10 9N112, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 28:1171-85. 2014..Haploidentical transplants have less GVHD, but improvements are needed to increase the low engraftment rate. The decision to use unrelated cord blood units or haploidentical donors depends on institutional expertise. ..
- Infusion of hemolyzed red blood cells within peripheral blood stem cell grafts in patients with and without sickle cell diseaseCourtney D Fitzhugh
Molecular and Clinical Hematology Branch, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute NHLBI National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases NIDDK, National Institutes of Health NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Blood 119:5671-3. 2012..Our data do not support free hemoglobin as a significant contributor to toxicity associated with PBSC infusions. This study was registered at clinicaltrials.gov (NCT00631787)...
- Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF) administration in individuals with sickle cell disease: time for a moratorium?Courtney D Fitzhugh
Molecular and Clinical Hematology Branch, National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases and National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Cytotherapy 11:464-71. 2009..Unless further data demonstrate safety, routine usage of G-CSF in individuals with SCD should be avoided...
- Allogeneic hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation for sickle cell diseaseMatthew M Hsieh
Molecular and Clinical Hematology Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, MD, USA
N Engl J Med 361:2309-17. 2009..Graft rejection and graft-versus-host disease (GVHD) are additional barriers to its success. We performed nonmyeloablative stem-cell transplantation in adults with sickle cell disease...