W S Fenton
Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- A placebo-controlled trial of omega-3 fatty acid (ethyl eicosapentaenoic acid) supplementation for residual symptoms and cognitive impairment in schizophreniaW S Fenton
NIMH, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892 9621, USA
Am J Psychiatry 158:2071-4. 2001..This study determined if augmentation of neuroleptics with 3 g/day of ethyl eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) improves symptoms and cognition in patients with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder...
- Cost and cost-effectiveness of hospital vs residential crisis care for patients who have serious mental illnessWayne S Fenton
National Institute of Mental Health, 6001 Executive Blvd, Room 8029, MSC 9669, Bethesda, MD 20892 9619, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 59:357-64. 2002....
- Mood disorders: cardiovascular and diabetes comorbidityWayne S Fenton
National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, DHHS, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 9621, USA
Curr Opin Psychiatry 19:421-7. 2006..This review provides recent findings on comorbidity, summarizes mechanistic hypotheses, and outlines developments in treatment and services...
- Psychiatry residency training, the physician-scientist, and the future of psychiatryWayne Fenton
Division of Adult Translational Research and Treatment Development, NIMH, 6001 Executive Blvd, Room 6216, MSC 9621, Bethesda, MD 20892-9621, USA
Acad Psychiatry 28:263-6. 2004
- Breaking the log-jam in treatment development for cognition in schizophrenia: NIMH perspectiveWayne S Fenton
National Institute of Mental Health, National Institute of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services, Room 6216, 6001 Executive Boulevard, MSC 9621, Bethesda, MD 20892-9621, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 169:365-6. 2003
- Person-centered psychiatric care: a tribute to Wayne S. Fenton, MDRobert K Heinssen
Schizophr Bull 33:1149-50. 2007..Through his actions and writings, Wayne Fenton influenced a generation of mental health professionals who aspire to similar professional excellence in all aspects of clinical care...
- New paradigms for treatment developmentEllen L Stover
National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Schizophr Bull 33:1093-9. 2007....
- Progress on NIMH initiatives (memorial theme for Wayne Fenton, MD)Ellen Stover
National Institute of Mental Health, USA
Schizophr Bull 33:1084-5. 2007
- Wayne Fenton, M.DEllen Stover
NIMH, 6001 Executive Blvd, Rm. 8235, MSC 9669, Bethesda, MD 20892-9669, USA
Am J Psychiatry 165:177-8. 2008
- Informed Consent in Early Psychosis Research: National Institute of Mental Health workshop, November 15, 2000R K Heinssen
Division of Mental Disorders, Behavioral Research, and AIDS, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 9625, USA
Schizophr Bull 27:571-83. 2001..Workshop participants summarized information presented during the meeting into informed consent "bullets" that must be communicated to, and understood and appreciated by, potential research participants...
- Medicine. What are the right targets for psychopharmacology?Steven E Hyman
Harvard University, Boston, MA 02138, USA
Science 299:350-1. 2003
- Psychiatric epidemiology: it's not just about counting anymoreThomas R Insel
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:590-2. 2005
- Recovery from schizophrenic psychoses within the northern Finland 1966 Birth CohortErika Lauronen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oulu, P O Box 5000, FIN 90014, Oulu, Finland
J Clin Psychiatry 66:375-83. 2005..Because of widely disparate findings from follow-up studies, the likelihood of recovery from schizophrenia remains controversial. We report the extent of recovery from schizophrenia in a population-based cohort...
- Functional co-primary measures for clinical trials in schizophrenia: results from the MATRICS Psychometric and Standardization StudyMichael F Green
Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, UCLA, 300 Medical Plaza, Rm 2263, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6968, USA
Am J Psychiatry 165:221-8. 2008..e., a co-primary) that is considered functionally meaningful. The goal of the current study was to describe steps to evaluate four potential co-primary measures for psychometric properties and validity...
- Ensuring public trustThomas R Insel
National Institute of Mental Health, 6001 Executive Boulevard, Room 8235, MSC 9669, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Biol Psychiatry 56:539. 2004
- How should DSM-V criteria for schizophrenia include cognitive impairment?Richard S E Keefe
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, Box 3270, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Schizophr Bull 33:912-20. 2007..Given the current emphasis on the development of cognitive treatments, the evaluation of cognition in schizophrenia is an essential component of mental health education...
- The MATRICS Consensus Cognitive Battery, part 2: co-norming and standardizationRobert S Kern
Department of Psychology, Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles CA 90073, USA
Am J Psychiatry 165:214-20. 2008..S. community sample with the battery administered as a unit...
- Test-retest stability of the Repeatable Battery for the Assessment of Neuropsychological Status in schizophreniaChristopher M Wilk
Maryland Psychiatric Research Center, Sheppard Pratt Health System, Baltimore, 21228-0747, USA
Am J Psychiatry 159:838-44. 2002..These data may serve as an informative guide for using the RBANS to evaluate neuropsychological change on the level of the individual subject...
- The MATRICS Consensus Cognitive Battery, part 1: test selection, reliability, and validityKeith H Nuechterlein
Department of Psychology, UCLA Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, 300 Medical Plaza, Rm 2251, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6968, USA
Am J Psychiatry 165:203-13. 2008....
- Placebo response in a double-blind therapeutic supplementation trial in stabilized outpatients with schizophreniaFaith B Dickerson
Schizophr Res 59:97-8. 2003
- Wayne S. FentonIvan Oransky
Lancet 368:1568. 2006
- Remembering and appreciating Wayne S. FentonHoward H Goldman
Psychiatr Serv 57:1367. 2006
- Medication-induced weight gain and dyslipidemia in patients with schizophreniaWayne S Fenton
Division of Adult Trasnlation Reserach and Treatment Development, NIMH, Bethesda, MD, USA
Am J Psychiatry 163:1697-704; quiz 1858-9. 2006
- The NIMH-MATRICS consensus statement on negative symptomsBrian Kirkpatrick
Department of Psychiatry and Health Behavior, Medical College of Georgia, USA
Schizophr Bull 32:214-9. 2006
- Smoking, gender, and dietary influences on erythrocyte essential fatty acid composition among patients with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorderJoseph R Hibbeln
Laboratory of Membrane Biochemistry and Biophysics, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, Maryland 20852, USA
Biol Psychiatry 53:431-41. 2003..Prior reports of abnormalities of essential fatty acid metabolism among schizophrenic patients may have been an artifact of patients' smoking behavior and differences in dietary intake of omega-3 fatty acids...
- Shared decision making: a model for the physician-patient relationship in the 21st century?Wayne S Fenton
Acta Psychiatr Scand 107:401-2. 2003
- Changing middle schoolers' attitudes about mental illness through educationAmy C Watson
Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation at Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, 1033 University Place, Suite 450, Evanston, IL 60201, USA
Schizophr Bull 30:563-72. 2004..These findings suggest that a brief educational program can be an effective intervention to increase knowledge and improve attitudes about mental illness...
- Approaching a consensus cognitive battery for clinical trials in schizophrenia: the NIMH-MATRICS conference to select cognitive domains and test criteriaMichael F Green
Neuropsychiatric Institute, Geffen School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
Biol Psychiatry 56:301-7. 2004..The results from this meeting constitute the initial steps for reaching a consensus cognitive battery for clinical trials in schizophrenia...
- Brief cognitive assessment in schizophrenia: normative data for the Repeatable Battery for the Assessment of Neuropsychological StatusChristopher M Wilk
Maryland Psychiatric Research Center, PO Box 21247, Baltimore, MD 21228-0747, USA
Schizophr Res 70:175-86. 2004..CONCLUSIONS: The RBANS is an efficient screening tool for assessing cognitive impairment in patients with SC thereby making it a useful instrument for clinical and research applications...