Genomes and Genes
Jeffrey I Cohen
Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Cohen J, Fahle G, Kemp M, Apakupakul K, Margolis T. Human herpesvirus 6-A, 6-B, and 7 in vitreous fluid samples. J Med Virol. 2010;82:996-9 pubmed publisher..HHV-6A, HHV-6B, and HHV-7 DNA are detectable in less than 2% of vitreous samples in patients with ocular inflammation. ..
- Cohen J. Varicella-zoster vaccine virus: evolution in action. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:7-8 pubmed
- Cohen J. Rodent models of varicella-zoster virus neurotropism. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 2010;342:277-89 pubmed publisher..The rodent model for VZV latency allows one to study ganglia removed immediately after death, avoiding the possibility of reactivation, and helps to identify VZV genes required for latency. ..
- Bayat A, Burbelo P, Browne S, Quinlivan M, Martinez B, Holland S, et al. Anti-cytokine autoantibodies in postherpetic neuralgia. J Transl Med. 2015;13:333 pubmed publisher..These results suggest the possibility that sporadic anti-cytokine autoantibodies in some subjects may cause an autoimmune immunodeficiency syndrome leading to uncontrolled VZV reactivation, nerve damage and subsequent PHN. ..
- Cohen J, Jaffe E, Dale J, Pittaluga S, Heslop H, Rooney C, et al. Characterization and treatment of chronic active Epstein-Barr virus disease: a 28-year experience in the United States. Blood. 2011;117:5835-49 pubmed publisher..These studies are registered at http://www.clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00032513 for CAEBV, NCT00062868 and NCT00058812 for EBV-specific T-cell studies, and NCT00578539 for the hematopoietic stem cell transplantation protocol. ..
- Bowman J, Burbelo P, Gill R, Sauri M, Schmitt J, Cohen J. A seroprevalence study of primate workers for asymptomatic rhesus cytomegalovirus infection. J Clin Virol. 2014;60:411-3 pubmed publisher..The frequency of asymptomatic RhCMV infection in persons who work with rhesus macaques was <0.5% (<1/200 primate workers). ..
- Cohen J, Hohman P, Fulton R, Turk S, Qin J, Thatcher K, et al. Kinetics of serum cytokines after primary or repeat vaccination with the smallpox vaccine. J Infect Dis. 2010;201:1183-91 pubmed publisher..Clinicaltrials.gov identifier NCT00325975. ..
- Cohen J. Primary Immunodeficiencies Associated with EBV Disease. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 2015;390:241-65 pubmed publisher..Identification of proteins important for control of EBV may help to identify new targets for immunosuppressive therapies. ..
- Liu X, Cohen J. The role of PI3K/Akt in human herpesvirus infection: From the bench to the bedside. Virology. 2015;479-480:568-77 pubmed publisher..Inhibiting the PI3K/Akt pathway or its downstream proteins using drugs already approved for other diseases can block herpesvirus lytic infection and may reduce malignancies associated with latent herpesvirus infections. ..
- Cohen J, Bollard C, Khanna R, Pittaluga S. Current understanding of the role of Epstein-Barr virus in lymphomagenesis and therapeutic approaches to EBV-associated lymphomas. Leuk Lymphoma. 2008;49 Suppl 1:27-34 pubmed publisher..Another potential therapeutic strategy could be to try to induce lytic EBV infection in the tumor cells. This could be done by targeting genes that switch the EBV-infected B cells from the latent to the lytic cycle. ..
- Cohen J, Hohman P, Preuss J, Li L, Fischer S, Fedorko D. Detection of vaccinia virus DNA, but not infectious virus, in the blood of smallpox vaccine recipients. Vaccine. 2007;25:4571-4 pubmed..Throat swabs were negative by PCR and culture. Thus, while some blood specimens contained vaccinia virus DNA, infectious virus was not detected. Current guidelines for deferral of blood donation in vaccinees seem appropriate. ..
- Sadaoka T, Depledge D, Rajbhandari L, Venkatesan A, Breuer J, Cohen J. In vitro system using human neurons demonstrates that varicella-zoster vaccine virus is impaired for reactivation, but not latency. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E2403-12 pubmed publisher..Our in vitro system recapitulates both VZV latency and reactivation in vivo and may be used to study viral vaccines for their ability to establish latency and reactivate. ..
- Li Q, Fischer E, Cohen J. Cell Surface THY-1 Contributes to Human Cytomegalovirus Entry via a Macropinocytosis-Like Process. J Virol. 2016;90:9766-9781 pubmed publisher..Further knowledge about the mechanism of HCMV entry into cells may facilitate the development of novel inhibitors of virus infection. ..
- Yamamoto T, Ali M, Liu X, Cohen J. Activation of H2AX and ATM in varicella-zoster virus (VZV)-infected cells is associated with expression of specific VZV genes. Virology. 2014;452-453:52-8 pubmed publisher..Cells lacking ATM had no reduction in VZV replication. Thus, VZV induces phosphorylation of H2AX and ATM and this effect is associated with the presence of specific VZV genes in virus-infected cells. ..
- Cohen J. The varicella-zoster virus genome. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 2010;342:1-14 pubmed publisher..Further studies of the VZV genome, using recombinant viruses, may facilitate the development of safer and more effective VZV vaccines. Furthermore, VZV might be useful as a vaccine vector to immunize against both VZV and other viruses. ..
- Liu X, Cohen J. Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) Tegument Protein BGLF2 Promotes EBV Reactivation through Activation of the p38 Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinase. J Virol. 2016;90:1129-38 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that a viral tegument protein which is delivered to cells upon infection activates signaling pathways to enhance virus production and facilitate virus reactivation from latency. ..
- Bu W, Hayes G, Liu H, Gemmell L, Schmeling D, Radecki P, et al. Kinetics of Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) Neutralizing and Virus-Specific Antibodies after Primary Infection with EBV. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2016;23:363-9 pubmed publisher..In summary, we found that titers of neutralizing antibody and antibodies to multiple EBV proteins increase over many months after primary infection with EBV. ..
- Wang K, Tomaras G, Jegaskanda S, Moody M, Liao H, Goodman K, et al. Monoclonal Antibodies, Derived from Humans Vaccinated with the RV144 HIV Vaccine Containing the HVEM Binding Domain of Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV) Glycoprotein D, Neutralize HSV Infection, Mediate Antibody-Dependent Cellular Cytotoxicity, and Protect . J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we showed for the first time that HVEM-specific HSV-1 neutralizing antibodies protect mice from HSV-1 eye disease, indicating the critical role of HVEM in HSV-1 ocular infection. ..
- Sadaoka T, Schwartz C, Rajbhandari L, Venkatesan A, Cohen J. Human Embryonic Stem Cell-Derived Neurons Are Highly Permissive for Varicella-Zoster Virus Lytic Infection. J Virol. 2018;92: pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that human neurons may be useful for studying VZV in vitro, for growing preparations of virus with high titers, and for isolating the virus from human samples. ..
- Cohen J, Krogmann T, Ross J, Pesnicak L, Prikhod ko E. Varicella-zoster virus ORF4 latency-associated protein is important for establishment of latency. J Virol. 2005;79:6969-75 pubmed..Thus, in addition to VZV ORF63, which was previously shown to be critical for efficient establishment of latency, ORF4 is also important for latent infection...
- Cohen J, Davenport D, Stewart J, Deitchman S, Hilliard J, Chapman L. Recommendations for prevention of and therapy for exposure to B virus (cercopithecine herpesvirus 1). Clin Infect Dis. 2002;35:1191-203 pubmed..The present report updates previous recommendations for the prevention, evaluation, and treatment of B virus infection in humans and considers the role of newer antiviral agents in postexposure prophylaxis...
- Cohen J, Krogmann T, Pesnicak L, Ali M. Absence or overexpression of the Varicella-Zoster Virus (VZV) ORF29 latency-associated protein impairs late gene expression and reduces VZV latency in a rodent model. J Virol. 2007;81:1586-91 pubmed..0044). These studies indicate that regulation of ORF29 at appropriate levels is critical for VZV latency in a rodent model...
- Ambagala A, Bosma T, Ali M, Poustovoitov M, Chen J, Gershon M, et al. Varicella-zoster virus immediate-early 63 protein interacts with human antisilencing function 1 protein and alters its ability to bind histones h3.1 and h3.3. J Virol. 2009;83:200-9 pubmed publisher..Since ASF1 mediates eviction and deposition of histones during transcription, the interaction of VZV IE63 with ASF1 may help to regulate transcription of viral or cellular genes during lytic and/or latent infection...