Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Jacobson O, Li Q, Chen H, Niu G, Kiesewetter D, Xu L, et al. PET-Guided Evaluation and Optimization of Internalized Antibody-Drug Conjugates Targeting Erythropoietin-Producing Hepatoma A2 Receptor. J Nucl Med. 2017;58:1838-1844 pubmed publisher..Understanding the complexity of antibody-based tumor delivery may help improve ADC engineering for better tumor targeting and reduced side effects. ..
- Dai Y, Xu C, Sun X, Chen X. Nanoparticle design strategies for enhanced anticancer therapy by exploiting the tumour microenvironment. Chem Soc Rev. 2017;46:3830-3852 pubmed publisher..We believe that these tumour microenvironment modulation strategies offer a good chance for the practical translation of nanoparticle formulas into clinic. ..
- Deng H, Dong A, Song J, Chen X. Injectable thermosensitive hydrogel systems based on functional PEG/PCL block polymer for local drug delivery. J Control Release. 2019;297:60-70 pubmed publisher..The current studies on the biomedical applications of thermosensitive PEG/PCL hydrogels have also been discussed. ..
- Ni Q, Pham N, Meng W, Zhu G, Chen X. Advances in immunotherapy of type I diabetes. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2018;: pubmed publisher..In this review, we attempt to capture the current state of T1DM immunotherapy by highlighting representative studies. ..
- Yu G, Yu S, Saha M, Zhou J, Cook T, Yung B, et al. A discrete organoplatinum(II) metallacage as a multimodality theranostic platform for cancer photochemotherapy. Nat Commun. 2018;9:4335 pubmed publisher..Gene chip analyses confirmed the contribution of different therapeutic modalities to the tumor abrogation. This supramolecular platform holds potential in precise cancer theranostics. ..
- Cheng S, Jacobson O, Zhu G, Chen Z, Liang S, Tian R, et al. PET imaging of EGFR expression using an 18F-labeled RNA aptamer. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2019;46:948-956 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that 18F-FB-ME07 is a potential EGFR targeting molecular imaging probe for future clinical translation. ..
- Zang J, Fan X, Wang H, Liu Q, Wang J, Li H, et al. First-in-human study of 177Lu-EB-PSMA-617 in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2019;46:148-158 pubmed publisher..Elevated uptakes of 177Lu-EB-PSMA-617 in kidneys and red bone marrow were well tolerated at the administered low dose. Further investigations with increased dose and frequency of administration are warranted. ..
- ..In this review, we will focus on recent progress and discuss the challenges and opportunities in the research areas of aptamer-based targeted therapy in the forms of aptamer therapeutics and aptamer-drug conjugates (ApDCs). ..
- Wang Z, Liu G, Zheng H, Chen X. Rigid nanoparticle-based delivery of anti-cancer siRNA: challenges and opportunities. Biotechnol Adv. 2014;32:831-43 pubmed publisher..In this review, recent progresses on rigid nanoparticle-based siRNA delivery systems will be summarized. ..
- Srivatsan A, Chen X. Recent advances in nanoparticle-based nuclear imaging of cancers. Adv Cancer Res. 2014;124:83-129 pubmed publisher..There is a great need for the development of newer nanoparticles, which improve active targeting and quantify new biomarkers for early disease detection and possible prevention of cancer. ..
- Li W, Rong P, Yang K, Huang P, Sun K, Chen X. Semimetal nanomaterials of antimony as highly efficient agent for photoacoustic imaging and photothermal therapy. Biomaterials. 2015;45:18-26 pubmed publisher..Based on the findings of this work, further development of using other semimetal nanocrystals as highly efficient NIR agents can be achieved for vivo tumor imaging and PTT. ..
- Hu H, Huang P, Weiss O, Yan X, Yue X, Zhang M, et al. PET and NIR optical imaging using self-illuminating (64)Cu-doped chelator-free gold nanoclusters. Biomaterials. 2014;35:9868-9876 pubmed publisher..This self-illuminating nanocluster with non-toxicity and good biocompatibility can be employed as a novel imaging contrast agent for biomedical applications, especially for molecular imaging. ..
- Li L, Hu S, Chen X. Non-viral delivery systems for CRISPR/Cas9-based genome editing: Challenges and opportunities. Biomaterials. 2018;171:207-218 pubmed publisher..Finally, critical obstacles for non-viral delivery of CRISPR/Cas9 system are highlighted and promising strategies to overcome these barriers are proposed. ..
- Nie L, Chen X. Structural and functional photoacoustic molecular tomography aided by emerging contrast agents. Chem Soc Rev. 2014;43:7132-70 pubmed publisher..We first describe the instrumental embodiments and the measured functional parameters, then focus on emerging contrast agent-based PAT applications, and finally discuss the challenges and prospects. ..
- Yu C, Pan D, Mi B, Xu Y, Lang L, Niu G, et al. (18)F-Alfatide II PET/CT in healthy human volunteers and patients with brain metastases. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2015;42:2021-8 pubmed publisher..The observed ED suggests that (18)F-Alfatide II is feasible for human studies. (18)F-Alfatide II has potential value in finding brain metastases of different cancers as a biomarker of angiogenesis. ..
- Yan X, Niu G, Wang Z, Yang X, Kiesewetter D, Jacobson O, et al. Al[18F]NOTA-T140 Peptide for Noninvasive Visualization of CXCR4 Expression. Mol Imaging Biol. 2016;18:135-42 pubmed publisher..The simplicity of Al[(18)F]NOTA-T140 labeling along with its properties to specifically image CXCR4 expression by tumors warrant further clinical application for the diagnosis of CXCR4 clinically. ..
- Yan X, Niu G, Lin J, Jin A, Hu H, Tang Y, et al. Enhanced fluorescence imaging guided photodynamic therapy of sinoporphyrin sodium loaded graphene oxide. Biomaterials. 2015;42:94-102 pubmed publisher..This novel GO-PEG-DVDMS theranostics is well suited for enhanced fluorescence imaging guided PDT. ..
- Chen W, Fu L, Chen X. Improving cell-based therapies by nanomodification. J Control Release. 2015;219:560-575 pubmed publisher..It is believed that these novel cell-material complexes can have great potentials for biomedical applications. ..
- Huang X, Zhan S, Xu H, Meng X, Xiong Y, Chen X. Ultrasensitive fluorescence immunoassay for detection of ochratoxin A using catalase-mediated fluorescence quenching of CdTe QDs. Nanoscale. 2016;8:9390-7 pubmed publisher..In summary, the developed fluorescence immunoassay based on H2O2-induced fluorescence quenching of CdTe QDs can be used for the rapid and highly sensitive detection of mycotoxins or haptens in food safety monitoring. ..
- Yang X, Liu Z, Zhang H, Li Z, Munasinghe J, Niu G, et al. Preclinical evaluation of an 18F-trifluoroborate methionine derivative for glioma imaging. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2018;45:585-592 pubmed publisher..sup>18F-B-MET was radiolabeled with high yield in a one-step labeling process, showed excellent pharmacokinetic properties in vivo, with high tumor-to-brain contrast. ..
- Yu G, Yang Z, Fu X, Yung B, Yang J, Mao Z, et al. Polyrotaxane-based supramolecular theranostics. Nat Commun. 2018;9:766 pubmed publisher..These supramolecular nanomedicines also exhibit excellent anti-tumour performance against orthotopic breast cancer and prevent lung metastasis with negligible systemic toxicity. ..
- Liu Y, Nie L, Chen X. Photoacoustic Molecular Imaging: From Multiscale Biomedical Applications Towards Early-Stage Theranostics. Trends Biotechnol. 2016;34:420-433 pubmed publisher..Future prospects for clinical use are also highlighted. Collectively, PAI holds great promise to drive biomedical applications towards early-stage theranostics. ..
- Chen W, Yung B, Qian Z, Chen X. Improving long-term subcutaneous drug delivery by regulating material-bioenvironment interaction. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2018;127:20-34 pubmed publisher..Based on these discussions, we believe the well-designed subcutaneous long-acting formulations will hold great promise to improve patient quality of life in the clinic. ..
- Wang Z, Dai Y, Wang Z, Jacobson O, Zhang F, Yung B, et al. Metal ion assisted interface re-engineering of a ferritin nanocage for enhanced biofunctions and cancer therapy. Nanoscale. 2018;10:1135-1144 pubmed publisher..The reported interface re-engineering strategy provides an unparalleled opportunity to expand protein biofunctions to serve as a new theranostic agent in cancer research. ..
- Fan W, Huang P, Chen X. Overcoming the Achilles' heel of photodynamic therapy. Chem Soc Rev. 2016;45:6488-6519 pubmed..It is highly expected that deep PDT will be developed as a versatile, depth/oxygen-independent and minimally invasive strategy for treating a variety of malignant tumours at deep locations. ..
- Chen H, Jacobson O, Niu G, Weiss I, Kiesewetter D, Liu Y, et al. Novel "Add-On" Molecule Based on Evans Blue Confers Superior Pharmacokinetics and Transforms Drugs to Theranostic Agents. J Nucl Med. 2017;58:590-597 pubmed publisher..b>Conclusion: Conjugation of our novel add-on molecule, NMEB or DMEB, to potential tracers or therapeutic agents improved blood half-life and tumor uptake and could transform such agents into theranostic entities. ..
- Kim J, Yung B, Kim W, Chen X. Combination of nitric oxide and drug delivery systems: tools for overcoming drug resistance in chemotherapy. J Control Release. 2017;263:223-230 pubmed publisher..Therefore, this review will discuss the mechanism of NO in overcoming MDR and recent progress of combined NO and drug delivery systems. ..
- Sun X, Li Y, Liu T, Li Z, Zhang X, Chen X. Peptide-based imaging agents for cancer detection. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2017;110-111:38-51 pubmed publisher..Specific examples in clinical trials have been provided as well with respect to their diagnostic capability compared with other FDA approved imaging agents. ..
- Zhu G, Lynn G, Jacobson O, Chen K, Liu Y, Zhang H, et al. Albumin/vaccine nanocomplexes that assemble in vivo for combination cancer immunotherapy. Nat Commun. 2017;8:1954 pubmed publisher..OVA, B16F10, and MC38 tumors; combination with anti-PD-1 and/or Abraxane further potentiates immunotherapy and eradicates most MC38 tumors. Albumin/AlbiVax nanocomplexes are thus a robust platform for combination cancer immunotherapy. ..
- Xia Y, Tian J, Chen X. Effect of surface properties on liposomal siRNA delivery. Biomaterials. 2016;79:56-68 pubmed publisher..Effects of ligand modification on cationic and neutral formulations were analyzed. Finally, we summarized the achievements in liposomal siRNA delivery, outlined existing problems and provided some future perspectives. ..
- Long X, Zhang J, Zhang D, Gao C, Chi C, Yang E, et al. Microsurgery guided by sequential preoperative lymphography using 68Ga-NEB PET and MRI in patients with lower-limb lymphedema. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2017;44:1501-1510 pubmed publisher..Dual 68Ga-NEB PET/MRL is thus recommended before the operation for staging and therapy planning. ..
- Chen W, Tian R, Xu C, Yung B, Wang G, Liu Y, et al. Microneedle-array patches loaded with dual mineralized protein/peptide particles for type 2 diabetes therapy. Nat Commun. 2017;8:1777 pubmed publisher..We believe this smart glucose-responsive Ex4 delivery holds great promise for type 2 diabetes therapy by providing safe, long-term, and on-demand Ex4 therapy. ..
- Zhu G, Mei L, Vishwasrao H, Jacobson O, Wang Z, Liu Y, et al. Intertwining DNA-RNA nanocapsules loaded with tumor neoantigens as synergistic nanovaccines for cancer immunotherapy. Nat Commun. 2017;8:1482 pubmed publisher..Collectively, iDR-NCs represent potential DNA/RNA/peptide triple-co-delivery nanocarriers and synergistic tumor immunotherapeutic nanovaccines. ..
- Wang J, Mi P, Lin G, Wang Y, Liu G, Chen X. Imaging-guided delivery of RNAi for anticancer treatment. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2016;104:44-60 pubmed publisher..With growing number of RNAi therapeutics entering the clinic, various imaging methods will play an important role in facilitating the translation of RNAi cancer therapeutics from bench to bedside. ..
- Lu N, Huang P, Fan W, Wang Z, Liu Y, Wang S, et al. Tri-stimuli-responsive biodegradable theranostics for mild hyperthermia enhanced chemotherapy. Biomaterials. 2017;126:39-48 pubmed publisher..Meanwhile, the fluorescence recovery following the DOX release can be used as an indicator to monitor the chemotherapeutic progress. ..
- Lin J, Chen X, Huang P. Graphene-based nanomaterials for bioimaging. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2016;105:242-254 pubmed publisher..In the end, we will elaborate on the prospects and challenges of their future bioimaging applications. ..