Gregg T Beckham
Affiliation: National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Mallinson S, Machovina M, Silveira R, Garcia Borràs M, Gallup N, Johnson C, et al. A promiscuous cytochrome P450 aromatic O-demethylase for lignin bioconversion. Nat Commun. 2018;9:2487 pubmed publisher..Structural, biochemical, and computational studies of this novel two-component system elucidate the mechanism of its broad substrate specificity, presenting it as a new tool for a critical step in biological lignin conversion. ..
- SalvachÃºa D, Smith H, St John P, Mohagheghi A, Peterson D, Black B, et al. Succinic acid production from lignocellulosic hydrolysate by Basfia succiniciproducens. Bioresour Technol. 2016;214:558-566 pubmed publisher..69g/g, and an overall productivity of 0.43g/L/h. These results demonstrate that B. succiniciproducens may be an attractive platform organism for bio-SA production from biomass hydrolysates. ..
- Gudmundsson M, Kim S, Wu M, Ishida T, Momeni M, Vaaje Kolstad G, et al. Structural and electronic snapshots during the transition from a Cu(II) to Cu(I) metal center of a lytic polysaccharide monooxygenase by X-ray photoreduction. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:18782-92 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study provides molecular snapshots along the reduction process to activate the LPMO catalytic machinery and provides a general method for solving LPMO structures in both copper oxidation states. ..
- Beckham G, Johnson C, Karp E, SalvachÃºa D, Vardon D. Opportunities and challenges in biological lignin valorization. Curr Opin Biotechnol. 2016;42:40-53 pubmed publisher..Ultimately, for biological solutions to lignin valorization to be viable, multiple questions in each of these areas will need to be addressed, making biological lignin valorization a multidisciplinary, co-design problem. ..
- Guarnieri M, Chou Y, SalvachÃºa D, Mohagheghi A, St John P, Peterson D, et al. Metabolic Engineering of Actinobacillus succinogenes Provides Insights into Succinic Acid Biosynthesis. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2017;83: pubmed publisher..succinogenes metabolism. ..
- Beckham G, Matthews J, Bomble Y, Bu L, Adney W, Himmel M, et al. Identification of amino acids responsible for processivity in a Family 1 carbohydrate-binding module from a fungal cellulase. J Phys Chem B. 2010;114:1447-53 pubmed publisher..Overall, this work provides further insight into the molecular-level mechanisms by which a CBM recognizes and interacts with cellulose. ..
- Karp E, Eaton T, SÃ nchez I NoguÃ© V, Vorotnikov V, Biddy M, Tan E, et al. Renewable acrylonitrile production. Science. 2017;358:1307-1310 pubmed publisher..Avoidance of hydrogen cyanide as a by-product also improves process safety and mitigates product handling requirements. ..
- Amore A, Knott B, Supekar N, Shajahan A, Azadi P, Zhao P, et al. Distinct roles of N- and O-glycans in cellulase activity and stability. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:13667-13672 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study reveals key roles for N- and O-glycosylation that are likely broadly applicable to other plant cell-wall-degrading enzymes. ..
- Linger J, Vardon D, Guarnieri M, Karp E, Hunsinger G, Franden M, et al. Lignin valorization through integrated biological funneling and chemical catalysis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:12013-8 pubmed publisher..Overall, this work demonstrates that the use of aromatic catabolic pathways enables an approach to valorize lignin by overcoming its inherent heterogeneity to produce fuels, chemicals, and materials. ..
- Johnson C, Beckham G. Aromatic catabolic pathway selection for optimal production of pyruvate and lactate from lignin. Metab Eng. 2015;28:240-7 pubmed publisher..1 Â± 2.6% (wt/wt). Overall, this study illustrates how aromatic degradation pathways can be tuned to optimize the yield of a desired product in biological lignin upgrading. ..