S Patricia Becerra
Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- Effects of human recombinant PEDF protein and PEDF-derived peptide 34-mer on choroidal neovascularizationJuan Amaral
Section of Protein Structure and Function, Laboratory of Retinal Cell and Molecular Biology, National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 0608, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:1318-26. 2010..Here, they examined the effects of PEDF polypeptide fragments on vessel sprouting and on choroidal neovascularization (CNV) after subconjunctival administration...
- The effects of PEDF on cancer biology: mechanisms of action and therapeutic potentialS Patricia Becerra
National Eye Institute, US National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 13:258-71. 2013..If PEDF is to be used for cancer management, a deeper appreciation of its many functions and mechanisms of action is needed...
- Pigment epithelium-derived factor binds to hyaluronan. Mapping of a hyaluronan binding siteS Patricia Becerra
NEI, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 283:33310-20. 2008..The HA-binding activity of PEDF may contribute to deposition in the extracellular matrix and to its reported antitumor/antimetastatic effects...
- Focus on Molecules: Pigment epithelium-derived factor (PEDF)S Patricia Becerra
NIH-NEI, 7 Memorial Drive, Room 304, Building 7, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Exp Eye Res 82:739-40. 2006
- Pigment epithelium-derived factor in the monkey retinal pigment epithelium and interphotoreceptor matrix: apical secretion and distributionS Patricia Becerra
Laboratory of Retinal Cell and Molecular Biology, NEI, NIH, Building 6, Room 308, 6 Center Drive, MSC 2740, Bethesda, MD 20892 0706, USA
Exp Eye Res 78:223-34. 2004..PEDF can be a useful marker for RPE polarization and differentiation. The polarization of RPE may be an important mechanism to control PEDF secretion and our results offer interesting possibilities on regulation of PEDF...
- Doxycycline-mediated inhibition of choroidal neovascularizationSonia Samtani
National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 0706, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:5098-106. 2009..The authors investigated the effects of doxycycline on choroidal neovascularization (CNV) and regulation of MMP-2 and -9 and pigment epithelium-derived factor (PEDF)...
- Inhibition of tumor cell surface ATP synthesis by pigment epithelium-derived factor: implications for antitumor activityMonika Deshpande
Section of Protein Structure and Function, Laboratory of Retinal Cell and Molecular Biology, NEI NIH, Bethesda, MD, USA
Int J Oncol 41:219-27. 2012..The data strongly suggest a role for the interaction between the 34-mer region of PEDF and tumor cell-surface ATP synthase in promoting tumor cell death...
- Transscleral-RPE permeability of PEDF and ovalbumin proteins: implications for subconjunctival protein deliveryJuan Amaral
Laboratory of Retinal Cell and Molecular Biology, National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892-0706, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:4383-92. 2005..In addition, these data prompt the proposal that subconjunctival protein delivery may represent a feasible and minimally invasive route for PEDF administration in the clinic...
- Pigment epithelium-derived factor receptor (PEDF-R): a plasma membrane-linked phospholipase with PEDF binding affinityPreeti Subramanian
NEI NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892 0608, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 664:29-37. 2010..The results suggest a molecular pathway by which PEDF ligand/receptor interactions on the cell surface could generate a cellular signal. These conclusions enhance our understanding of the role of PEDF as a neurotrophic survival factor...
- Dexamethasone increases pigment epithelium-derived factor in perfused human eyesElizabeth M Perruccio
Section of Protein Structure and Function, Laboratory of Retinal Cell and Molecular Biology, National Eye Institute, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Curr Eye Res 33:507-15. 2008..To investigate the effects of dexamethasone (DEX) on pigment epithelium-derived factor (PEDF) cDNA and secreted protein in human trabecular meshwork (TM)...
- Sustained subconjunctival protein delivery using a thermosetting gel delivery systemErin R Rieke
Laboratory of Bioengineering and Physical Sciences, National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering, National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 5766, USA
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 26:55-64. 2010..Additional experiments were performed to compare in vitro to in vivo ovalbumin release rates from the gel...
- Mapping the type I collagen-binding site on pigment epithelium-derived factor. Implications for its antiangiogenic activityChristina Meyer
Laboratory of Retinal Cell and Molecular Biology, NEI, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 2740, USA
J Biol Chem 277:45400-7. 2002..The collagen-binding property of PEDF may play a role in surface localization and modulation of its antiangiogenic effects in the eye and bone...
- Identification of a lipase-linked cell membrane receptor for pigment epithelium-derived factorLuigi Notari
National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 281:38022-37. 2006....
- Assays for the antiangiogenic and neurotrophic serpin pigment epithelium-derived factorPreeti Subramanian
Section of Protein Structure and Function, National Eye Institute, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Methods Enzymol 499:183-204. 2011..Here we describe purification protocols, methods to quantify PEDF, and determine interactions with specific molecules, as well as neurotrophic and angiogenesis assays for this multifunctional protein...
- A novel imaging technique for experimental choroidal neovascularizationMercedes Campos
Biological Imaging Core, National Eye Institute, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892-0703, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 47:5163-70. 2006..CNV complexes are labeled at an earlier stage and more reproducibly than with FITC-dextran perfusion, providing a more accurate preclinical evaluation of antiangiogenic molecules...
- Pigment epithelium-derived factor is a substrate for matrix metalloproteinase type 2 and type 9: implications for downregulation in hypoxiaLuigi Notari
Laboratory of Retinal Cell and Molecular Biology, National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892-0607, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:2736-47. 2005..These results reveal a novel posttranslational mechanism for downregulating PEDF, and provide an explanation for hypoxia-provoked increases in VEGF/PEDF ratios, in angiogenesis and/or in neuronal death...
- Opposing effects of pigment epithelium-derived factor on breast cancer cell versus neuronal survival: implication for brain metastasis and metastasis-induced brain damageDaniel P Fitzgerald
Women s Cancer s Section, Laboratory of Molecular Pharmacology, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Cancer Res 72:144-53. 2012..Our findings establish PEDF as both a metastatic suppressor and a neuroprotectant in the brain, highlighting its role as a double agent in limiting brain metastasis and its local consequences...
- Glycosaminoglycans in human retinoblastoma cells: heparan sulfate, a modulator of the pigment epithelium-derived factor-receptor interactionsElena M Alberdi
Laboratory of Retinal Cell and Molecular Biology, National Eye Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
BMC Biochem 4:1. 2003..Pigment epithelium-derived factor (PEDF) has binding affinity for cell-surface receptors in retinoblastoma cells and for glycosaminoglycans. We investigated the effects of glycosaminoglycans on PEDF-receptor interactions...
- Pigment epithelium-derived factor is elevated in CSF of patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosisRalph W Kuncl
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21218, USA
J Neurochem 81:178-84. 2002..While the mechanism of this presumably reactive increase is not known, the distinctive, surprisingly elevated level of PEDF in the CSF may be an autoprotective reaction in ALS...
- Identification of the neuroprotective molecular region of pigment epithelium-derived factor and its binding sites on motor neuronsMasako M Bilak
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
J Neurosci 22:9378-86. 2002..The data support the pharmacotherapeutic potential of PEDF as a neuroprotectant in human motor neuron degeneration...
- Difference in ischemic regulation of vascular endothelial growth factor and pigment epithelium--derived factor in brown norway and sprague dawley rats contributing to different susceptibilities to retinal neovascularizationGuoquan Gao
Department of Ophthalmology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29403, USA
Diabetes 51:1218-25. 2002..These observations support the idea that different regulation of angiogenic inhibitors and stimulators under ischemia are responsible for the differences in susceptibility to ischemia-induced retinal neovascularization in SD and BN rats...
- Expression of transthyretin and retinol binding protein mRNAs and secretion of transthyretin by cultured monkey retinal pigment epitheliumBruce A Pfeffer
Research, Bausch and Lomb, Inc, Rochester, NY 14609, USA
Mol Vis 10:23-30. 2004....
- Micropatterning neuronal cells on polyelectrolyte multilayersDarwin R Reyes
Semiconductor Electronics Division, National Institute of Standards and Technology, 100 Bureau Drive, MS 8120, Gaithersburg, Maryland 20899 8120, USA
Langmuir 20:8805-11. 2004..This approach provides a simple, fast, and inexpensive method of patterning cells onto micrometer-scale features...
- Functional genetic analysis of rhesus cytomegalovirus: Rh01 is an epithelial cell tropism factorAnders E Lilja
Department of Molecular Biology, Lewis Thomas Laboratory, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544, USA
J Virol 82:2170-81. 2008..We conclude that Rh01 is a cell tropism determinant that has the potential to dramatically affect virus spread and pathogenesis...