Genomes and Genes
Margaret C Bash
Affiliation: National Institutes of Health
- por Variable-region typing by DNA probe hybridization is broadly applicable to epidemiologic studies of Neisseria gonorrhoeaeMargaret C Bash
Division of Bacterial, Parasitic and Allergenic Products, HFM 428, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, 1401 Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
J Clin Microbiol 43:1522-30. 2005..por VR typing is a molecular tool that appears to have broad applicability. This method can be adapted to a wide range of technologies from simple hybridization to microarray and may allow for typing from noncultured clinical specimens...
- Porin variation among clinical isolates of Neisseria gonorrhoeae over a 10-year period, as determined by Por variable region typingDurrie L McKnew
Division of Bacterial, Parasitic, and Allergenic Products, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Infect Dis 187:1213-22. 2003..The present study provides information about the diversity of Por in strains circulating in a single geographic region over time, illustrates the utility of a novel por typing method, and has implications for vaccine development...
- Genetic typing of the porin protein of Neisseria gonorrhoeae from clinical noncultured samples for strain characterization and identification of mixed gonococcal infectionsFreyja Lynn
Division of Bacterial, Allergenic, and Parasitic Products, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Clin Microbiol 43:368-75. 2005..Methods that utilize direct clinical samples and can identify mixed infections may contribute significantly to studies of host immunity, gonococcal epidemiology, and pathogenesis...
- Effect of O acetylation of Neisseria meningitidis serogroup A capsular polysaccharide on development of functional immune responsesDavid S Berry
Division of Bacterial, Parasitic and Allergenic Products, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Infect Immun 70:3707-13. 2002..Since levels of bactericidal antibodies are correlated with protection against disease, O-acetyl groups appear to be important in protection...
- Genetic diversity of three lgt loci for biosynthesis of lipooligosaccharide (LOS) in Neisseria speciesPeixuan Zhu
Division of Bacterial, Parasitic and Allergenic Products and Division of Viral Products, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, FDA, 8800 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Microbiology 148:1833-44. 2002..The data demonstrated that pathogenic and commensal Neisseria share a common lgt gene pool and horizontal gene transfer appears to contribute to the genetic diversity of the lgt loci in Neisseria...
- Quinolone resistance-determining region mutations and por type of Neisseria gonorrhoeae isolates: resistance surveillance and typing by molecular methodologiesJulie A Giles
Division of Allergies and Infectious Disease, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Infect Dis 189:2085-93. 2004..gonorrhoeae in settings in which nonculture diagnostic methods are used...
- Distinguishing importation from diversification of quinolone-resistant Neisseria gonorrhoeae by molecular evolutionary analysisMarcos Pérez-Losada
Department of Integrative Biology, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT, USA
BMC Evol Biol 7:84. 2007..We applied molecular evolutionary analyses to DNA sequences from 9 housekeeping genes and gyrA, parC and porB of 24 quinolone resistant N. gonorrhoeae (QRNG) and 24 quinolone sensitive isolates collected in Israel during 2000-2001...
- Phenotypic and genotypic analyses of Neisseria gonorrhoeae isolates that express frequently recovered PorB PIA variable region types suggest that certain P1a porin sequences confer a selective advantage for urogenital tract infectionLotisha E Garvin
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, 4301 Jones Bridge Rd, Bethesda, MD 20853 4799, USA
Infect Immun 76:3700-9. 2008..The capacity of some porin types to evade a porin-specific adaptive immune response must also be considered...