Affiliation: Nathan Kline Institute
- Activation of caspase-3 and apoptosis in cerebellar granule cellsN Marks
Nathan S Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research, Center for Neurochemistry and Neurobiology, Orangeburg, New York 10962, USA
J Neurosci Res 52:334-41. 1998..As such, gangliosides provide useful agents to further probe pathways relevant to neuronal death in culture...
- Glucosylceramide synthase decrease in frontal cortex of Alzheimer brain correlates with abnormal increase in endogenous ceramides: consequences to morphology and viability on enzyme suppression in cultured primary neuronsNeville Marks
Division of Neurochemistry, Nathan S Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research, 140 Old Orangeburg Road Orangeburg, NY 10962 USA
Brain Res 1191:136-47. 2008..Pretreatment with GM(1) whose turnover is compromised was protective and pointed to useful therapeutic applications by supplementing existing membrane stores prior to GSC dysfunction...
- Neurosecretases provide strategies to treat sporadic and familial Alzheimer disordersNeville Marks
Center for Neurochemistry, Nathan S Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research, Orangeburg, NY 10962, United States
Neurochem Int 52:184-215. 2008..This overview emphasizes the importance to develop new therapies targeting neurosecretases to treat a major neurological disorder that has vast economic and social implications...
- APP processing enzymes (secretases) as therapeutic targets: insights from the use of transgenics (Tgs) and transfected cellsNeville Marks
Division of Neurochemistry, New York University Medical Center, Nathan S Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research, Orangeburg, New York 10962, USA
Neurochem Res 28:1049-62. 2003....
- BACE and gamma-secretase characterization and their sorting as therapeutic targets to reduce amyloidogenesisNeville Marks
Center for Neurochemistry, Nathan S Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research, 140 Old Orangeburg Road, Orangeburg, NY 10962, USA
Neurochem Res 35:181-210. 2010..LRP11 (SorLA) is of particular importance since it decreases in sporadic AD whose etiology otherwise is unknown...
- Recent advances on neuronal caspases in development and neurodegenerationN Marks
Nathan S Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research, and New York University, Division of Neurochemistry, Orangeburg 10962, USA
Neurochem Int 35:195-220. 1999..Identifying signaling pathways and related events paves the way to design useful therapeutic remedies to prevent neuronal loss in disease or aging...
- Gangliosides attenuate ethanol-induced apoptosis in rat cerebellar granule neuronsM Saito
Department of Neurochemistry, The Nathan S Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research and New York University, Orangeburg 10962, USA
Neurochem Res 24:1107-15. 1999..Data show native gangliosides and a synthetic derivative are potently neuroprotective in this model of ethanol toxicity, and potentially serve as useful probes to further unravel the mechanisms relevant to neuronal apoptosis...
- Opposite effects of lithium on proximal and distal caspases of immature and mature primary neurons correlate with earlier paradoxical actions on viabilityN Marks
Division of Neurochemistry, New York University Medical Center, USA
Neurochem Res 26:1311-20. 2001....
- Brain damage results in down-regulation of N-acetylaspartate as a neuronal osmolyteMorris H Baslow
Nathan S Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research, 140 Old Orangeburg Road, Orangeburg, NY 10962, USA
Neuromolecular Med 3:95-104. 2003..The NAA system, when present in the brain, appears to reflect a high degree of cellular integration, and therefore may be a unique metabolic construct of the intact vertebrate brain...
- Differential expression of carnosine, homocarnosine and N-acetyl-L-histidine hydrolytic activities in cultured rat macroglial cellsM H Baslow
Nathan S Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research, Center for Neurochemistry, Orangeburg, NY 10962, USA
J Mol Neurosci 17:351-9. 2001..The cellular separation of these hydrolytic enzyme activities, and the possible nature of the enzymes involved are discussed...
- Neuronal endosomal/lysosomal membrane destabilization activates caspases and induces abnormal accumulation of the lipid secondary messenger ceramideKristen Ditaranto-Desimone
Dementia Research Program, Nathan Kline Institute, Orangeburg, NY, USA
Brain Res Bull 59:523-31. 2003....