Stuart M C Lee
Affiliation: NASA Ames Research Center
- Foot-ground reaction force during resistive exercise in parabolic flightStuart M C Lee
Wyle Laboratories, Life Sciences Systems and Services, Houston, TX 77058, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 75:405-12. 2004..The purpose of this project was to compare foot-ground reaction force during iRED exercise in normal gravity (1 G) vs. microgravity (0 G) achieved during parabolic flight...
- LBNP exercise protects aerobic capacity and sprint speed of female twins during 30 days of bed restStuart M C Lee
Cardiovascular Laboratory, Wyle Integrated Science and Engineering Group, Houston, Texas, USA
J Appl Physiol 106:919-28. 2009..We conclude that treadmill exercise within LBNP protects against BR-induced reductions in Vo(2peak) and sprint speed in women and should prove effective during long-duration spaceflight...
- Abdomen-high elastic gradient compression garments during post-spaceflight stand testsMichael B Stenger
NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 84:459-66. 2013....
- WISE-2005: supine treadmill exercise within lower body negative pressure and flywheel resistive exercise as a countermeasure to bed rest-induced bone loss in women during 60-day simulated microgravityScott M Smith
Human Adaptation and Countermeasures Division, National Aeronautics and Space Administration Lyndon B Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX 77058, USA
Bone 42:572-81. 2008..The combination of resistive and aerobic exercise did not prevent bone resorption but did promote bone formation, and helped mitigate the net bone loss associated with simulated microgravity...
- Sex differences in blood pressure control during 6° head-down tilt bed restNatalia M Arzeno
Wyle Science, Technology and Engineering Group, Houston, Texas, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 304:H1114-23. 2013..These sex differences in blood pressure control during simulated microgravity reveal the need to study sex differences in long-duration spaceflight to ensure the health and safety of the entire astronaut corps...
- Musculoskeletal adaptations to training with the advanced resistive exercise deviceJames A Loehr
Wyle Integrated Science and Engineering Group, Houston, TX, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 43:146-56. 2011..The ARED uses vacuum cylinders and inertial flywheels to simulate, in the absence of gravity, the constant mass and inertia, respectively, of free weight (FW) exercise...
- Aerobic exercise deconditioning and countermeasures during bed restStuart M C Lee
Cardiovascular Laboratory, Wyle Integrated Science and Engineering Group, Houston, TX, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 81:52-63. 2010..Further refinement of protocols and countermeasure hardware may be necessary to insure the success of countermeasures in the unique environment of space...
- Training with the International Space Station interim resistive exercise deviceSuzanne M Schneider
NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 35:1935-45. 2003..A unique, interim elastomer-based resistive exercise device (iRED) is being used on the International Space Station...
- Metabolic consequences of garments worn to protect against post-spaceflight orthostatic intoleranceStuart M C Lee
Wyle Integrated Science and Engineering Group, Houston, TX 77058, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 82:648-53. 2011....
- Artificial gravity training reduces bed rest-induced cardiovascular deconditioningMichael B Stenger
Cardiovascular Laboratory, Wyle Integrated Science and Engineering Group, NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX 77058, USA
Eur J Appl Physiol 112:605-16. 2012..Mechanisms of improvement were not cardiac-mediated, but likely through improved sympathetic responsiveness to orthostatic stress...
- Supine LBNP exercise maintains exercise capacity in male twins during 30-d bed restStuart M C Lee
Wyle Laboratories, Inc, Life Sciences Group, Houston, TX 77058, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 39:1315-26. 2007..Previously, we have documented that supine treadmill exercise within lower-body negative pressure (LBNP(ex)) maintains upright exercise responses in men after 5 and 15 d of bed rest, as a simulation of microgravity...
- Virtual guidance as a tool to obtain diagnostic ultrasound for spaceflight and remote environmentsDavid S Martin
Wyle Integrated Science and Engineering, 1290 Hercules Blvd, Houston, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 83:995-1000. 2012....
- Near infrared spectroscopy-derived interstitial hydrogen ion concentration and tissue oxygen saturation during ambulationStuart M C Lee
NASA Johnson Space Center s Cardiovascular Laboratory, Wyle Integrated Science and Engineering Group, 1290 Hercules Blvd, Houston, TX 77058, USA
Eur J Appl Physiol 111:1705-14. 2011..Inferred from simultaneous SO(2) and [H(+)] measures in the VL and LG muscles, muscle perfusion is well matched to VL and LG work during walking, but not running...
- Gradient compression garments as a countermeasure to post-spaceflight orthostatic intoleranceMichael B Stenger
Integrated Science and Engineering Group, NASA Johnson Space Center, 1290 Hercules Drive, Houston, TX 77058, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 81:883-7. 2010..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the use of commercially available, thigh-high, gradient compression garments to prevent post-spaceflight orthostatic intolerance...
- Determinants of time to fatigue during nonmotorized treadmill exerciseJohn K De Witt
Wyle s Life Sciences Group, Houston, Texas, USA
J Strength Cond Res 23:883-90. 2009..Coaches and therapists should consider the cardiovascular fitness of an athlete or client when prescribing target speed because these factors are related to the total exercise time that can be achieved on a nonmotorized treadmill...
- Test battery designed to quickly and safely assess diverse indices of neuromuscular function after unweightingBarry A Spiering
Wyle Integrated Science and Engineering Group, Houston, Texas, USA
J Strength Cond Res 25:545-55. 2011..Because the test battery involves minimal eccentric muscle actions and impact forces, the potential for muscle injury has likely been reduced...
- Lower body negative pressure treadmill exercise as a countermeasure for bed rest-induced bone loss in female identical twinsSara R Zwart
Universities Space Research Association, Houston, TX 77058, USA
Bone 40:529-37. 2007..Dietary acid load of these female subjects was significantly correlated with calcium excretion but not with other bone resorption markers...
- Compression garments as countermeasures to orthostatic intoleranceSteven H Platts
NASA Johnson Space Center, Human Adaptations and Countermeasures Division, Houston, TX 77058, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 80:437-42. 2009....
- Noninvasive determination of exercise-induced hydrodgen ion threshold through direct optical measurementBabs R Soller
Dept of Anesthesiology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, 55 Lake Avenue North, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
J Appl Physiol 104:837-44. 2008..85). This initial study demonstrates the feasibility of noninvasive pHm estimations, the determination of H+ threshold, and the relationship between H+ and classical metabolic thresholds during incremental exercise...
- Lower body negative pressure exercise plus brief postexercise lower body negative pressure improve post-bed rest orthostatic toleranceDonald E Watenpaugh
Department of Integrative Physiology, University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth, TX, USA
J Appl Physiol 103:1964-72. 2007..Together with our earlier related studies, these ground-based results support spaceflight evaluation of postexercise orthostatic stress as a time-efficient countermeasure against postflight orthostatic intolerance...
- Space exercise and Earth benefitsBrandon R Macias
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California San Diego, 350 Dickinson Street, Suite 121, San Diego, CA 92103 8894, USA
Curr Pharm Biotechnol 6:305-17. 2005..Finally, LBPP exercise as a rehabilitation device is examined with reference to gait mechanics and safety in two groups of postoperative patients...
- Lower-body negative-pressure exercise and bed-rest-mediated orthostatic intoleranceSuzanne M Schneider
Department of Human Performance and Development, University of New Mexico, Johnson Center, Room 126, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 34:1446-53. 2002..Supine, moderate exercise is ineffective in maintaining orthostatic tolerance after bed rest (BR). Our purpose was to test the hypothesis that adding an orthostatic stress during exercise would maintain orthostatic function after BR...
- Role of skin blood flow and sweating rate in exercise thermoregulation after bed restStuart M C Lee
Wyle Laboratories, Life Sciences Systems and Services Division, Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas 77058, USA
J Appl Physiol 92:2026-34. 2002..42 +/- 0.06 vs. 0.44 +/- 0.08 kg) were not changed. The higher resting and exercise T(in) and delayed onset of SBF and SR suggest a centrally mediated elevation in the thermoregulatory set point during bed rest exposure...