Affiliation: Mount Sinai Hospital
- The racial disparity in breast cancer mortality in the 25 largest cities in the United StatesSteven Whitman
Sinai Urban Health Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Chicago, IL 60608 1797, USA
Cancer Epidemiol 36:e147-51. 2012..Although the racial disparity in breast cancer mortality is widely discussed there are no studies that analyze this phenomenon at the city level...
- Black-White health disparities in the United States and Chicago: a 15-year progress analysisJennifer M Orsi
Sinai Urban Health Institute, California Ave at 15th St, K443, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
Am J Public Health 100:349-56. 2010....
- Variations in the health conditions of 6 Chicago community areas: a case for local-level dataAmi M Shah
Sinai Urban Health Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
Am J Public Health 96:1485-91. 2006..To present a case for disaggregated community-level health data, we conducted a study exploring the relevance of such data to research on health disparities...
- Exploring differences in self-rated health among Blacks, Whites, Mexicans, and Puerto RicansMaureen R Benjamins
Sinai Urban Health Institute, 1500 S California Ave, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
Ethn Health 17:463-76. 2012..Self-rated health (SRH) is a robust predictor of subsequent health and mortality. Although age, gender, and race differences in SRH have been explored, less work has examined ethnic differences, particularly in the US...
- Improving asthma management among African-American children via a community health worker model: findings from a Chicago-based pilot interventionHelen Margellos-Anast
Sinai Urban Health Institute, Sinai Health System, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
J Asthma 49:380-9. 2012....
- The racial disparity in breast cancer mortalitySteven Whitman
Sinai Urban Health Institute, Room K437, 1500 S California Avenue, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
J Community Health 36:588-96. 2011..Three societal hypotheses are posited that may explain this disparity. All three are actionable, beginning today...
- A community effort to reduce the black/white breast cancer mortality disparity in ChicagoDavid Ansell
544 Academic Facility, Rush University Medical Center, 600 South Paulina Avenue, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Cancer Causes Control 20:1681-8. 2009..The Taskforce explored three hypotheses: black women in Chicago receive fewer mammograms, black women receive mammograms of inferior quality, and black women have inadequate access to quality of treatment for breast cancer...
- HIV testing practices and attitudes on prevention efforts in six diverse Chicago communitiesKristi L Allgood
Sinai Urban Health Institute, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
J Community Health 34:514-22. 2009..These evidence-based observations may be valuable in planning HIV prevention programs and in shaping policy...
- Diversity and disparity: GIS and small-area analysis in six Chicago neighborhoodsSteven Whitman
Sinai Urban Health Institute, Sinai Health System, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Med Syst 28:397-411. 2004..Since so much of attention is now being paid to reducing and eliminating these disparities, it is important to examine their existence to better understand how to minimize them...
- Maternal smoking in Chicago: a community-level analysisBijou R Hunt
Sinai Urban Health Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Sinai Health System in Chicago, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 22:194-210. 2011..The prevalence of smoking among NH Black women in Chicago was particularly high, demonstrating an unmet need for appropriate interventions...
- Smoking in 6 diverse Chicago communities--a population studyJade L Dell
MRE, Sinai Urban Health Institute, K438, Mount Sinai Hospital, California Ave at 15th St, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
Am J Public Health 95:1036-42. 2005..We analyzed smoking survey data across communities in Chicago, Ill, to explore community-level variations in smoking behavior...
- A local community health survey: findings from a population-based survey of the largest Jewish community in ChicagoMaureen R Benjamins
Sinai Urban Health Institute, Mt Sinai Hospital, 1500 S California Ave, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
J Community Health 31:479-95. 2006..Moreover, this project provides an example for other population subgroups (based on residence, ethnicity, religious affiliation, country of origin, or other characteristics) who would benefit from local level health information...
- Implementing an HIV and sexually transmitted disease screening program in an emergency departmentAbigail Silva
Sinai Urban Health Institute, Sinai Health System, Mount Sinai Hospital, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
Ann Emerg Med 49:564-72. 2007..We assess the feasibility, effectiveness, and cost of routinely recommended HIV/sexually transmitted disease screening in an urban emergency department (ED)...
- The black:white disparity in breast cancer mortality: the example of ChicagoJocelyn Hirschman
Sinai Urban Health Institute, Sinai Health System, Mount Sinai Hospital, Room K430, 1500 South California Avenue, and Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
Cancer Causes Control 18:323-33. 2007..The black:white disparity in breast cancer mortality has been increasing in the U.S. In order to gain insight into this disparity in Chicago, we examined mortality data together with other important measures associated with breast cancer...
- A culturally appropriate school wellness initiative: results of a 2-year pilot intervention in 2 Jewish schoolsMaureen R Benjamins
Sinai Urban Health Institute, Mt Sinai Hospital, Room K443, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
J Sch Health 80:378-86. 2010..The current study describes an effort within a Jewish school system in Chicago to create, implement, and evaluate a school-based intervention tailored to the unique characteristics of Jewish religion, culture, and school structures...
- Developing a standardized comprehensive health survey for use with deaf adultsHelen Margellos-Anast
Sinai Urban Health Institute, Sinai Health System Chicago, USA
Am Ann Deaf 150:388-96. 2005..Several challenges were encountered throughout the process, and the resulting lessons will be useful to future research efforts...
- Cancer screening knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors among culturally Deaf adults: implications for informed decision makingJennifer M Orsi
Sinai Urban Health Institute, Sinai Health System, California Avenue at 15th Street, Room F926, Chicago, IL 60608, United States
Cancer Detect Prev 31:474-9. 2007..The authors also sought to compare age- and gender-specific cancer screening rates amongst this sample to that of the general US population...
- HIV testing in a resource-poor urban emergency departmentNancy R Glick
Division of Infectious Diseases, Mount Sinai Hospital, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 16:126-36. 2004..One recommendation to increase the number of people who are aware of their serostatus is to offer HIV testing in underutilized venues, such as an urban ED. The results of this project offer suggestions for future pursuits...
- Supporting diabetes self-care in underserved populations: a randomized pilot study using medical assistant coachesLaurie Ruggiero
University of Illinois at Chicago, School of Public Health, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
Diabetes Educ 36:127-31. 2010....
- Relationships between discrimination in health care and health care outcomes among four race/ethnic groupsMaureen R Benjamins
Sinai Urban Health Institute, Mt Sinai Hospital, 1500 S California Ave, Chicago, IL, 60608, USA
J Behav Med 37:402-13. 2014..These findings expand the literature and provide preliminary evidence that can eventually inform the development of interventions and the training of health care providers...
- Stroke mortality rates vary in local communities in a metropolitan area: racial and spatial disparities and correlatesBijou R Hunt
From the Sinai Urban Health Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Sinai Health System, Chicago, IL B R H, S W and Rosalind Franklin University, Chicago Medical School, North Chicago, IL D D
Stroke 45:2059-65. 2014..Aggregated data provide information about how the country or individual states are faring with respect to stroke mortality, but disaggregation provides data that may facilitate targeted interventions and community engagement...
- Comparison of health status indicators in chicago: are Black-White disparities worsening?Helen Margellos
Sinai Urban Health Institute, Sinai Health System, Chicago, IL 60608 1797, USA
Am J Public Health 94:116-21. 2004..This study examined Chicago residents' progress toward the Healthy People 2000 goal of reducing racial disparities in health and compared the results with a recent analysis of US data...