Affiliation: Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Cost-effectiveness of a home-based environmental intervention for inner-city children with asthmaMeyer Kattan
Department of Pediatrics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 116:1058-63. 2005..A cost-effectiveness analysis can help stakeholders to evaluate the potential costs and benefits of adopting such a program...
- A randomized clinical trial of clinician feedback to improve quality of care for inner-city children with asthmaMeyer Kattan
Department of Pediatrics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Pediatrics 117:e1095-103. 2006..Barriers impede translating recommendations for asthma treatment into practice, particularly in inner cities where asthma morbidity is highest...
- Assessing the relationship between language proficiency and asthma morbidity among inner-city asthmaticsJuan P Wisnivesky
Division of General Internal Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, USA
Med Care 47:243-9. 2009..Patient-provider communication is essential for high-quality asthma care. The objective of this study was to assess the potential relationship of language barriers with outcomes of inner-city asthmatics...
- Safety and tolerability of an antiasthma herbal Formula (ASHMI) in adult subjects with asthma: a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled, dose-escalation phase I studyKristin Kelly-Pieper
Division of Pediatric Pulmonary Medicine, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
J Altern Complement Med 15:735-43. 2009..A novel three-herb antiasthma herbal medicine intervention (ASHMI; Sino-Lion Pharmaceutical Company; Shan Dong China) was demonstrated to be effective and safe in a murine model of asthma and in a preliminary clinical study in China...
- Health effects of indoor nitrogen dioxide and passive smoking on urban asthmatic childrenMeyer Kattan
Department of Pediatrics, Mt Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 120:618-24. 2007..Nitrogen dioxide (NO(2)) and environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) have been associated with adverse respiratory effects...
- Home and allergic characteristics of children with asthma in seven U.S. urban communities and design of an environmental intervention: the Inner-City Asthma StudyEllen F Crain
Department of Pediatrics Emergency Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine Jacobi Medical Center, Bronx, New York, USA
Environ Health Perspect 110:939-45. 2002....
- Asthma control, adiposity, and adipokines among inner-city adolescentsMeyer Kattan
Department of Pediatric Pulmonology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 125:584-92. 2010..There is an association between adiposity and asthma prevalence, but the relationship to asthma control is unclear...
- Lack of association between indoor allergen sensitization and asthma morbidity in inner-city adultsJuan P Wisnivesky
Division of General Internal Medicine, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 120:113-20. 2007..Sensitivity and exposure to indoor allergens is associated with increased asthma morbidity in inner-city children. However, it is unknown whether sensitization is associated with worse asthma in adults...
- Long-term budesonide or nedocromil treatment, once discontinued, does not alter the course of mild to moderate asthma in children and adolescentsRobert C Strunk
Department of Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis Children s Hospital, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Pediatr 154:682-7. 2009..To determine whether long-term, continuous use of inhaled anti-inflammatory medications affects asthma outcomes in children with mild to moderate asthma after use is discontinued...
- Implementation of an asthma intervention in the inner cityPamela Wood
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas 78229 3900, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 97:S20-4. 2006..Despite availability of asthma self-management interventions for children, few have been implemented in community-based settings...
- Effect of long-term corticosteroid use on bone mineral density in children: a prospective longitudinal assessment in the childhood Asthma Management Program (CAMP) studyH William Kelly
Department of Pediatrics, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131 0001, USA
Pediatrics 122:e53-61. 2008..Thus, we assessed the effects of multiple short courses of oral corticosteroids and long-term inhaled corticosteroids on bone mineral accretion over a period of years...
- Immunomodulatory effect of the antiasthma Chinese herbal formula MSSM-002 on TH2 cellsKamal Srivastava
Department of Pediatrics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 113:268-76. 2004..CONCLUSION: MSSM-002, in contrast to the overall suppression of T cells by dexamethasone, exhibits immunomodulatory actions on T(H)2 cells caused, at least partially, by downregulation of GATA-3...
- School-based asthma programsJean Marie Bruzzese
New York University Child Study Center, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 124:195-200. 2009....
- Results of a home-based environmental intervention among urban children with asthmaWayne J Morgan
Arizona Respiratory Center, University of Arizona, 1501 N. Campbell Ave, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
N Engl J Med 351:1068-80. 2004....
- The cost-effectiveness of an inner-city asthma intervention for childrenSean D Sullivan
Departments of Pharmacy and Health Services, Box 357630, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 110:576-81. 2002..Organizations serving this population should consider this strategy as part of a comprehensive disease-management program for asthma...
- Particle concentrations in inner-city homes of children with asthma: the effect of smoking, cooking, and outdoor pollutionLance A Wallace
U S Environmental Protection Agency, Reston, Virginia 20191 4471, USA
Environ Health Perspect 111:1265-72. 2003....
- Inner City Asthma Study: relationships among sensitivity, allergen exposure, and asthma morbidityRebecca S Gruchalla
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 75390 8859, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 115:478-85. 2005..Asthma-associated morbidity is rising, especially in inner city children...
- Management of asthma based on exhaled nitric oxide in addition to guideline-based treatment for inner-city adolescents and young adults: a randomised controlled trialStanley J Szefler
National Jewish Health, Denver, CO, USA
Lancet 372:1065-72. 2008....
- Acute respiratory health effects of air pollution on children with asthma in US inner citiesGEORGE T O'CONNOR
Pulmonary Center, Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 121:1133-1139.e1. 2008..Children with asthma in inner-city communities may be particularly vulnerable to adverse effects of air pollution because of their airways disease and exposure to relatively high levels of motor vehicle emissions...
- Mirror images: is levalbuterol the fairest of them all?Meyer Kattan
J Pediatr 143:702-4. 2003
- Airborne fungi in the homes of children with asthma in low-income urban communities: The Inner-City Asthma StudyGEORGE T O'CONNOR
Pulmonary Center, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 114:599-606. 2004..Despite growing evidence of the importance of exposure to fungi as an environmental risk factor for asthma, few data have been reported on the exposure to airborne fungi of asthmatic children living in US inner cities...
- Efficacy and tolerability of anti-asthma herbal medicine intervention in adult patients with moderate-severe allergic asthmaMing Chun Wen
Weifang Asthma Hospital, Shandong, China
J Allergy Clin Immunol 116:517-24. 2005..Chinese herbal medicine has a long history of human use. A novel herbal formula, anti-asthma herbal medicine intervention (ASHMI), has been shown to be an effective therapy in a murine model of allergic asthma...
- Moving research into the community: learning by experienceMeyer Kattan
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 97:S2-3. 2006