Maida P Galvez
Affiliation: Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Associations between neighborhood resources and physical activity in inner-city minority childrenMaida P Galvez
Department of Preventive Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10023, USA
Acad Pediatr 13:20-6. 2013..We describe how availability of physical activity resources varies by individual and block characteristics and then examine its associations with physical activity levels of Latino and black children in East Harlem, New York City...
- Effective risk communication in children's environmental health: lessons learned from 9/11Maida P Galvez
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 1 Gustave L Levy Place, Box 1512, New York, NY 10029, USA
Pediatr Clin North Am 54:33-46, viii. 2007..This article describes the theory behind effective risk communication using examples from events following September 11, 2001. It shares lessons learned and provides a template for risk communication that can guide pediatric providers...
- Race and food store availability in an inner-city neighbourhoodMaida P Galvez
Department of Community and Preventive Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Public Health Nutr 11:624-31. 2008..Less is known about whether differences in availability of resources by African American or Latino race/ethnicity exist within a single minority community...
- Childhood obesity and neighborhood food-store availability in an inner-city communityMaida P Galvez
Department of Community and Preventive Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Acad Pediatr 9:339-43. 2009....
- Childhood obesity and the built environmentMaida P Galvez
Department of Preventive Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 22:202-7. 2010..Whereas studies on the impacts of neighborhood factors on adult obesity are relatively common, studies examining these same factors on childhood obesity are far fewer...
- Dietary and physical activity behaviors of New York City children from different ethnic minority subgroupsNita Vangeepuram
Department of Preventive Medicine and Pediatrics, Division of General Pediatrics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Acad Pediatr 12:481-8. 2012..To examine racial/ethnic differences in diet and physical activity behaviors in ethnic minority New York City children...
- Temporal variability in urinary concentrations of perchlorate, nitrate, thiocyanate and iodide among childrenNancy Mervish
Department of Preventive Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol 22:212-8. 2012..Surrogate analysis show that single-spot urine samples reliably categorize participant's exposure providing support for the use of a single sample as an exposure measure in epidemiological studies that use relative ranking of exposure...
- Dietary flavonol intake is associated with age of puberty in a longitudinal cohort of girlsNancy A Mervish
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY 10029, USA
Nutr Res 33:534-42. 2013..13). Consistent with biologic properties of phytoestrogens that indicate hormonal activity, their consumption may be associated with reproductive end points, even in childhood. ..
- Associations between phthalate metabolite urinary concentrations and body size measures in New York City childrenSusan L Teitelbaum
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Department of Preventive Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Place, Box 1057, NY 10029, USA
Environ Res 112:186-93. 2012..To examine prospectively associations between urinary phthalate metabolite concentrations and body size measures in children...
- Asthma and physical activity in multiracial girls from three US sitesNita Vangeepuram
Department of Preventive Medicine, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY, USA
J Asthma 51:193-9. 2014..Our objective was to investigate the association between asthma diagnosis and physical activity and to examine differences in these associations by race/ethnicity, weight status and caregiver education...
- Measures of obesity associated with asthma diagnosis in ethnic minority childrenNita Vangeepuram
Department of Preventive Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 1 Gustave L Levy Place, Box 1512, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Obes 2011:517417. 2011..63 (95% CI 1.12-2.39), 1.50 (95% CI 1.02-2.21), and 1.56 (95% CI 1.04-2.34), resp.). Conclusions. This study found a significant association between increased body size and asthma diagnosis, regardless of the measurement examined...
- Environmental justice and the health of childrenPhilip J Landrigan
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY USA
Mt Sinai J Med 77:178-87. 2010..Documentation of linkages between health disparities and environmental injustice is an important step toward achieving environmental justice...
- Obesity in the 21st centuryMaida P Galvez
Environ Health Perspect 111:A684-5. 2003