J J Halperin
Affiliation: Morristown Memorial Hospital
- ..The pathophysiology of neuroborreliosis remains unclear, but appears to involve both a requirement for viable micro-organisms and significant immune amplification. ..
- Halperin J. Nervous System Abnormalities and Legionnaire's Disease. Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2017;31:55-68 pubmed publisher..Patients with Legionnaire's may be at increased risk of, and rarely develop, immune-mediated multifocal brain (acute disseminated encephalomyelitis) or peripheral nerve disease (Guillain-Barré syndrome). ..
- Halperin J. Diagnosis and management of acute encephalitis. Handb Clin Neurol. 2017;140:337-347 pubmed publisher..Overall long-term outcomes are favorable in the majority of patients with encephalitis, a proportion that hopefully will improve with further advances in diagnostic technology and therapeutic interventions. ..
- Belt G, Felberg R, Rubin J, Halperin J. In-Transit Telemedicine Speeds Ischemic Stroke Treatment: Preliminary Results. Stroke. 2016;47:2413-5 pubmed publisher..Improvement in time to treat seems comparable with in-transit telestroke and mobile stroke transport units. The low cost/unit makes this approach scalable, potentially providing rapid management of more patients. ..
- ..Treatment with any of several standard regimens of oral or parenteral antimicrobials is highly effective. Prolonged treatment beyond four weeks is rarely if ever warranted, and carries significant risk...