Sandra B Morissette
- Transdermal nicotine during cue reactivity in adult smokers with and without anxiety disordersSandra B Morissette
Veterans Affairs, Boston Healthcare System, Boston, MA, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 26:507-18. 2012..These data suggest that transdermal nicotine alleviates urge only under certain circumstances and that adjunctive interventions are likely necessary to address smoking urges in response to spikes in distress among smokers trying to quit...
- Differences between daily smokers, chippers, and nonsmokers with co-occurring anxiety and alcohol-use disordersSandra B Morissette
VA Boston Healthcare System, USA
Addict Behav 33:1425-31. 2008..Chippers were nonsignificantly different from either smokers or nonsmokers. Smokers and nonsmokers did not differ with respect to percent heavy drinking days or emotional symptoms...
- Anxiety, anxiety disorders, tobacco use, and nicotine: a critical review of interrelationshipsSandra Baker Morissette
Department of Psychiatry, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02130, USA
Psychol Bull 133:245-72. 2007..Increased knowledge in these areas should inform prevention efforts as well as the development and improvement of smoking cessation programs for those with anxiety and other psychiatric disorders...
- Deployment-related TBI, persistent postconcussive symptoms, PTSD, and depression in OEF/OIF veteransSandra B Morissette
Department of Veterans Affairs VISN 17 Center of Excellence for Research on Returning War Veterans, Waco, Texas, USA
Rehabil Psychol 56:340-50. 2011..The goal of the present research was to examine the relations among TBI, persistent PCSs, and symptoms of PTSD and depression among returning OEF/OIF veterans...
- Differences in drinking patterns, occupational stress, and exposure to potentially traumatic events among firefighters: predictors of smoking relapseJoseph W Vanderveen
VISN 17 Center of Excellence for Research on Returning War Veterans, Waco, Texas, USA
Am J Addict 21:550-4. 2012..As such, the goal of the current study was to examine risk factors for smoking relapse among individuals employed through fire service...
- Neuropsychological sequelae of PTSD and TBI following war deployment among OEF/OIF veteransSara Dolan
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, Baylor University, Waco, TX, USA
Neuropsychol Rev 22:21-34. 2012....
- The effects of venlafaxine and cognitive behavioral therapy alone and combined in the treatment of co-morbid alcohol use-anxiety disordersDomenic A Ciraulo
Department of Psychiatry, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, United States Electronic address
Behav Res Ther 51:729-35. 2013..This finding suggests that the transdiagnostic CBT approach of Barlow and colleagues may have value in the management of heavy drinking in individuals with co-morbid alcoholism and anxiety...
- Mental Health Treatment Involvement and Religious Coping among African American, Hispanic, and White Veterans of the Wars of Iraq and AfghanistanDavid S Greenawalt
VISN 17 Center of Excellence for Research on Returning War Veterans, Department of Veterans Affairs, Waco, TX 76711, USA
Depress Res Treat 2011:192186. 2011..African American Veterans reported higher levels of religious coping than whites. Religious coping was associated with participation in religious counseling, but not secular mental health services...
- Implications of participant self-selection for generalizability: who participates in smoking laboratory research?Barbara W Kamholz
VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Subst Use Misuse 44:343-56. 2009..These findings support the generalizability of the sample and highlight the importance of documenting details of study eligibility and participation. The study's limitations are noted...
- A psychometric evaluation of the Smoking Consequences Questionnaire-Adult in smokers with psychiatric conditionsTodd C Buckley
National Center for PTSD, VA Boston Healthcare System and Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02131 4817, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 7:739-45. 2005..Based on the data derived from this sample, the SCQ-A has adequate psychometric properties for applications involving smokers with psychiatric conditions...
- A pilot study of sensation-focused intensive treatment for panic disorder with moderate to severe agoraphobia: preliminary outcome and benchmarking dataStella Bitran
MA, Center for Anxiety and Related Disorders, Boston University, Botson, MA 02215, USA
Behav Modif 32:196-214. 2008..remote). SFIT was found to be effective in decreasing panic symptoms from pre- to posttreatment, with treatment gains maintained at follow-up. The implications of these findings for the treatment of PDA are discussed...
- Disaster mental health workers responding to Ground Zero: one year laterErin Scott Daly
VA Boston Healthcare System, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130, USA
J Trauma Stress 21:227-30. 2008..Although few endorsed symptoms at clinical levels, our results demonstrate that disaster relief workers may experience an increase in symptomatology at the anniversary of their traumatic exposure...
- Differences between smokers and nonsmokers with anxiety disordersSandra Baker Morissette
VA Boston Healthcare System, Psychology Service, 116B, 150 South Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02130, USA
J Anxiety Disord 20:597-613. 2006..No differences were found between smokers and nonsmokers regarding social anxiety, worry, obsessive-compulsive symptoms or positive affect. Differential patterns were observed when evaluating constructs within anxiety disorder diagnoses...
- Effects of transdermal nicotine during imaginal exposure to anxiety and smoking cues in college smokersSandra Baker Morissette
Center for Anxiety and Related Disorders, Boston University, MA, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 19:192-8. 2005..Transdermal nicotine did not diminish anxiety during the absorption/deprivation period or in response to the cues...
- Co-morbidity of smoking in patients with psychiatric and substance use disordersDavid Kalman
Department of Psychiatry, Boston University School of Medicine, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Addict 14:106-23. 2005..Further research is needed to increase our understanding of nicotine addiction in PD and SUD and develop more effective treatment interventions...