Suresh H Moolgavkar
- Commentary: Fifty years of the multistage model: remarks on a landmark paperSuresh H Moolgavkar
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Int J Epidemiol 33:1182-3. 2004
- A review and critique of the EPA's rationale for a fine particle standardSuresh H Moolgavkar
Sciences International, Inc, King Street Station, 1800 Diagonal Road, Suite 500, Alexandria, VA 22314, USA
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 42:123-44. 2005..If the Agency justifies a particulate matter mass standard on these grounds then the debate over the form and level of the standard will, for all practical purposes, belong strictly in the Policy arena...
- Chapter 8: The FHCRC lung cancer modelWilliam D Hazelton
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Public Health Science Division, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Risk Anal 32:S99-S116. 2012..We estimated that 1.1 million male and 0.6 million female LC deaths were avoidable if smokers quit smoking in 1965...
- Impact of reduced tobacco smoking on lung cancer mortality in the United States during 1975-2000Suresh H Moolgavkar
Program in Biostatistics and Biomathematics, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Ave North, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 104:541-8. 2012..We quantified the cumulative impact of changes in smoking behaviors that started in the mid-1950s on lung cancer mortality in the United States over the period 1975-2000...
- Potency factors for risk assessment at Libby, MontanaSuresh H Moolgavkar
Exponent, Inc, Bellevue, WA, USA
Risk Anal 30:1240-8. 2010..S. population for lung cancer, NMRD, and total mortality and obtained estimates that were in good agreement with those reported by Sullivan. The estimated potency factors form the basis for a quantitative risk assessment at Libby...
- Age-specific incidence of cancer: Phases, transitions, and biological implicationsRafael Meza
Program in Biostatistics and Biomathematics and Program in Computational Biology, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center 1100 Fairview Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:16284-9. 2008..The linear phase of the age-specific incidence curve represents this conversion, which is the result of recessive inactivation of a gatekeeper gene, such as the APC gene in the colon and the CDKN2A gene in the pancreas...
- Analysis of lung cancer incidence in the Nurses' Health and the Health Professionals' Follow-Up Studies using a multistage carcinogenesis modelRafael Meza
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Cancer Causes Control 19:317-28. 2008..The age-adjusted risk among ex-smokers is somewhat higher in NHS, possibly due to differences in the age-distribution between the two cohorts...
- Biologically based analysis of lung cancer incidence in a large Canadian occupational cohort with low-dose ionizing radiation exposure, and comparison with Japanese atomic bomb survivorsWilliam D Hazelton
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Toxicol Environ Health A 69:1013-38. 2006....
- Evaluation of screening strategies for pre-malignant lesions using a biomathematical approachJihyoun Jeon
Department of Applied Mathematics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Math Biosci 213:56-70. 2008..We further demonstrate the utility of our approach by computing the benefits of up to two colonoscopies on the lifetime risk of colorectal cancer...
- Age effects and temporal trends in adenocarcinoma of the esophagus and gastric cardia (United States)Jihyoun Jeon
Department of Applied Mathematics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Cancer Causes Control 17:971-81. 2006..Temporal trends in the incidence of both cancers are dominated by dramatically increasing period effects...
- Does folic acid supplementation prevent or promote colorectal cancer? Results from model-based predictionsE Georg Luebeck
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Biostatistics and Biomathematics, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, M2 B500, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:1360-7. 2008..Experimental studies are needed to provide direct evidence for this dual role of folate in colorectal cancer and to validate and improve the model predictions...
- A review and critique of U.S. EPA's risk assessments for asbestosSuresh H Moolgavkar
Health Sciences Practice, Exponent, Inc, Bellevue, WA, USA
Crit Rev Toxicol 44:499-522. 2014..However, the IUR should be based on the entire cohort of Libby miners, and the analysis should properly account for temporal factors. We illustrate our discussion with our own independent analyses of the data used by the Agency. ..
- Gestational mutations and carcinogenesisRafael Meza
Department of Applied Mathematics, University of Washington, and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, P O Box 19024, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Math Biosci 197:188-210. 2005..The analysis of the SEER data also shows that gestational mutations could contribute to inter-individual variations in colorectal cancer risk...
- Multistage carcinogenesis and lung cancer mortality in three cohortsWilliam D Hazelton
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Public Health Sciences Division, M2 B500, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, Box 19024, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14:1171-81. 2005..The importance of smoking duration on lung cancer risk in these cohorts is a direct consequence of promotion. Intervention and treatment strategies should focus on promotion as the primary etiologic mechanism in lung carcinogenesis...
- Modulation of liver tumorigenesis in Connexin32-deficient mouseE Georg Luebeck
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Public Health Sciences Division, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Mutat Res 570:33-47. 2005..Our findings also underscore the importance of the timing (6 weeks versus 2 weeks) of the genotoxic insult in relation to the developmental stage of the liver and the importance of clonal selection during tumor promotion...
- Validity of geographically modeled environmental exposure estimatesEllen T Chang
Health Sciences Practice, Exponent, Inc, Menlo Park, CA, Bowie, MD, and Bellevue, WA, USA
Crit Rev Toxicol 44:450-66. 2014....
- Cancer mortality and quantitative oil production in the Amazon region of Ecuador, 1990-2010Suresh H Moolgavkar
Health Sciences Practice, Exponent, Inc, 149 Commonwealth Drive, Menlo Park, CA, 94025, USA
Cancer Causes Control 25:59-72. 2014..This ecologic study uses quantitative exposure data, updated mortality data, and improved statistical methods to study the impact of oil exploration and production activities on cancer mortality rates in the Oriente...
- Multistage carcinogenesis and the incidence of human cancerSuresh H Moolgavkar
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 38:302-6. 2003..As a corollary, intervention strategies that decrease this rate are to be preferred to strategies that decrease the rate of early mutational events in carcinogenesis...
- Air pollution and daily mortality in two U.S. counties: season-specific analyses and exposure-response relationshipsSuresh H Moolgavkar
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Ave N MP 665, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Inhal Toxicol 15:877-907. 2003..Exposure-response analyses using flexible smoothers showed significant departures from linearity, particularly for PM effects...
- Choice of stratification in Poisson process analysis of recurrent event data with environmental covariatesAnup Dewanji
Applied Statistics Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, 203 B T Road, Calcutta, India
Stat Med 21:3383-93. 2002..We suggest a cross-validation approach to choosing a stratification model to balance the trade-off between bias and variance. We also establish a connection between the Poisson process approach and case cross-over studies...
- Re: "Bayesian projections: what are the effects of excluding data from younger age groups?"Mark S Clements
Am J Epidemiol 164:292-3; author reply 293-4. 2006
- Effects of exposure uncertainties in the TSCE model and application to the Colorado miners dataWolfgang F Heidenreich
GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health Institute for Radiation Protection, 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
Radiat Res 161:72-81. 2004..The estimated promoting action of radon increases by a factor of up to 1.2 for the largest assumed exposure uncertainties...
- Lung cancer rate predictions using generalized additive modelsMark S Clements
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, The Australian National University, Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia
Biostatistics 6:576-89. 2005..In summary, the two-dimensional GAM performed well. The GAMs make the important prediction that female lung cancer rates in these countries will be stable or begin to decline in the future...
- Multistage models and the incidence of cancer in the cohort of atomic bomb survivorsWolfgang F Heidenreich
GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Institute for Radiation Protection, 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
Radiat Res 158:607-14. 2002..Unfortunately for hypothesis generation, the data appear to be consistent with a number of different mechanistic interpretations of the role of radiation in carcinogenesis...