Julia L Zehr
Affiliation: Michigan State University
- Dendritic pruning of the medial amygdala during pubertal development of the male Syrian hamsterJulia L Zehr
Neuroscience Program, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
J Neurobiol 66:578-90. 2006....
- Factors regulating the timing of puberty onset in female rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta): role of prenatal androgens, social rank, and adolescent body weightJulia L Zehr
Psychology Department, Emory University, Yerkes National Primate Research Center, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Biol Reprod 72:1087-94. 2005..This study supports late gestation as a period of increased sensitivity to environmental insult and demonstrates that multiple factors, including prenatal programming, modulate the specific timing of pubertal events...
- Adolescent development of neuron structure in dentate gyrus granule cells of male Syrian hamstersJulia L Zehr
Neuroscience Program, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Dev Neurobiol 68:1517-26. 2008....
- An association of early puberty with disordered eating and anxiety in a population of undergraduate women and menJulia L Zehr
Neuroscience Program, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824 1116, USA
Horm Behav 52:427-35. 2007..The fact that early puberty was associated with increased eating and anxiety symptoms in both sexes suggests that puberty may influence these symptoms through both biological and psychosocial mechanisms...
- Gonadal hormones masculinize and defeminize reproductive behaviors during puberty in the male Syrian hamsterKalynn M Schulz
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience Program, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Horm Behav 45:242-9. 2004..These studies demonstrate that gonadal hormones during puberty further masculinize and defeminize neural circuits and behavioral responsiveness to steroid hormones in adulthood...
- Pubertal hormones organize the adolescent brain and behaviorCheryl L Sisk
Neuroscience Program and Department of Psychology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, USA
Front Neuroendocrinol 26:163-74. 2005....
- Pubertal hormones modulate the addition of new cells to sexually dimorphic brain regionsEman I Ahmed
Neuroscience Program, 108 Giltner Hall, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Nat Neurosci 11:995-7. 2008..Removing gonadal hormones before puberty eliminates these sex differences, indicating that gonadal steroids direct the addition of new cells during puberty to maintain and accentuate sexual dimorphisms in the adult brain...
- Testosterone programs adult social behavior before and during, but not after, adolescenceKalynn M Schulz
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience Program, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Endocrinology 150:3690-8. 2009..Thus, adolescent maturation of social behavior may involve both steroid-independent and -dependent processes, and adolescence marks the end of a postnatal period of sensitivity to steroid-dependent organization of the brain...
- Hormones and history: the evolution and development of primate female sexualityKim Wallen
Emory University, Department of Psychology, 532 Kilgo Circle, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Sex Res 41:101-12. 2004..The evolutionary pressures that produced such flexibility in sexual behavior remain puzzling, but may reflect the importance of sexuality to primate social attraction and cohesion...
- Puberty: a finishing school for male social behaviorCheryl L Sisk
Neuroscience Program and Department of Psychology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1007:189-98. 2003..Whether puberty is a critical period for the proposed second wave of steroid-dependent organization of behavioral circuits remains to be determined...
- Steroid influences on brain maturationJULIA ZEHR; Fiscal Year: 2006..A basic understanding of the processes controlling pubertal brain development provides a timely foundation for future studies of self-administered steroids, disease states, or environmental endocrine disrupters. ..