Ellen M Velie
Affiliation: Michigan State University
- Dietary sources of nutrients among rural Native American and white childrenBerrit C Stroehla
CODA, Inc, Durham, NC, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 105:1908-16. 2005..To identify important food sources of energy, fiber, and major macro- and micronutrients among rural Native American and white children...
- Empirically derived dietary patterns and risk of postmenopausal breast cancer in a large prospective cohort studyEllen M Velie
Department of Epidemiology, College of Human Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 82:1308-19. 2005..Inconsistent associations have been reported between diet and breast cancer...
- Understanding the increased risk of neural tube defect-affected pregnancies among Mexico-born women in California: immigration and anthropometric factorsEllen M Velie
Department of Epidemiology, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824, USA
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 20:219-30. 2006..Findings indicate that recent Mexican immigrants have a sevenfold increased risk for NTDs. Maternal BMI and height contributed very little, and inadequate weight gain contributed modestly to the NTD risk disparity for Mexican immigrants...
- Lifetime reproductive and anthropometric risk factors for breast cancer in postmenopausal womenEllen M Velie
Michigan State University, Departments of Epidemiology and Surgery, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Breast Dis 24:17-35. 2005..Many aspects of this research can be conducted by examining the influence of early life events on intermediary events without the need for longitudinal data...
- Effects of changes in lunch-time competitive foods, nutrition practices, and nutrition policies on low-income middle-school children's dietsKatherine Alaimo
1 Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
Child Obes 9:509-23. 2013..The School Nutrition Advances Kids project tested the effectiveness of school-initiated and state-recommended school nutrition practice and policy changes on student dietary intake in low-income middle schools...
- Dietary predictors of the insulin-like growth factor system in adolescent females: results from the Dietary Intervention Study in Children (DISC)Jean M Kerver
Department of Epidemiology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 91:643-50. 2010..Childhood diet may influence chronic disease through its effect on the IGF system; however, there is limited information describing the dietary predictors of the IGF system in adolescents...
- Fruit and vegetable intakes and the risk of colorectal cancer in the Breast Cancer Detection Demonstration Project follow-up cohortAndrew Flood
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, The National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 75:936-43. 2002..Recent findings have cast doubt on the hypothesis that high intakes of fruit and vegetables are associated with a reduced risk of colorectal cancer...
- Meat, fat, and their subtypes as risk factors for colorectal cancer in a prospective cohort of womenAndrew Flood
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD, USA
Am J Epidemiol 158:59-68. 2003..This study provided no evidence of an association between either meat or fat (or any of their subtypes) and colorectal cancer incidence, but the authors cannot rule out the possibility of a modest association...