Affiliation: Michigan State University
- Changes in practice patterns affecting in-hospital and post-discharge survival among ACS patientsManfred Stommel
College of Nursing, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 6:140. 2006....
- Temporal changes in bias of body mass index scores based on self-reported height and weightM Stommel
College of Nursing, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Int J Obes (Lond) 37:461-7. 2013..To investigate temporal changes in the bias associated with self-reported (as opposed to measured) body mass index (BMI) and explore the relationship of such bias to changing social attitudes towards obesity...
- Accuracy and usefulness of BMI measures based on self-reported weight and height: findings from the NHANES & NHIS 2001-2006Manfred Stommel
College of Nursing, Michigan State University, W 149 Owen Graduate Center, East Lansing, MI 48825 1109, USA
BMC Public Health 9:421. 2009....
- Depression and functional status as predictors of death among cancer patientsManfred Stommel
College of Nursing, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Cancer 94:2719-27. 2002..The analysis focused on differences in survival times among cancer patients with new experiences of depressive symptoms and functional limitations and patients with a history of such limitations...
- A longitudinal analysis of the course of depressive symptomatology in geriatric patients with cancer of the breast, colon, lung, or prostateManfred Stommel
Michigan State University, College of Nursing, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Health Psychol 23:564-73. 2004..The present findings show the importance of psychological assessments and symptom management during cancer treatment...
- Gender, symptom experience, and use of complementary and alternative medicine practices among cancer survivors in the U.S. cancer populationJudith M Fouladbakhsh
College of Nursing, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 37:E7-E15. 2010..To identify relationships among gender, physical and psychological symptoms (pain, insomnia, fatigue, and depression), and use of specific complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) practices among survivors in the U.S. cancer population...
- Do self-report and medical record comorbidity data predict longitudinal functional capacity and quality of life health outcomes similarly?Adesuwa B Olomu
College of Human Medicine, Clinical Center Building, Michigan State University, 788 Service Road, Room B329, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 12:398. 2012..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the performance of the Self-Administered Comorbidity Questionnaire (SCQ) to predict functional capacity, quality of life (QOL) health outcomes compared to CCI medical records data...
- "Concordance between comorbidity data from patient self-report interviews and medical record documentation"William Corser
College of Nursing, Michigan State University, B500A West Fee Hall, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 8:85. 2008..The purpose of these prospectively planned analyses was to examine the concordance of comorbidity data obtained from patient self-report survey interviews and hospital medical record documentation...
- Mealtime television viewing and dietary quality in low-income African American and Caucasian mother-toddler dyadsMildred A Horodynski
College of Nursing, Michigan State University, B 515 G West Fee Hall, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Matern Child Health J 14:548-56. 2010..Practical interventions are needed to positively influence the nutritional habits of lower-income mothers. Reducing mothers' "unhealthy" food consumption while watching TV may offer one effective strategy...
- Predictors of smoking cessation and relapse after hospitalization for acute coronary syndromeJodi Summers Holtrop
Department of Family Medicine, College of Human Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
J Hosp Med 4:E3-9. 2009..Understanding the factors that predict and enhance cessation among smoking cardiac inpatients is important for hospital physicians and clinical staff...
- Social support for physical activity of middle school studentsLorraine B Robbins
Michigan State University College of Nursing, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Public Health Nurs 25:451-60. 2008..To explore gender and age differences in social support and their relationship with physical activity...
- Food patterns and mealtime behaviors in low-income mothers and toddlersLorraine J Weatherspoon
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Michigan State University, Lansing, MI 48824, USA
J Community Health Nurs 30:1-15. 2013..These findings have implications for culturally relevant interventions aimed at obesigenic food behavior in low-income parents of toddlers...
- Low-income African American and non-Hispanic White mothers' self-efficacy, "picky eater" perception, and toddler fruit and vegetable consumptionMildred A Horodynski
College of Nursing, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Public Health Nurs 27:408-17. 2010....
- Symptom clusters in elderly patients with lung cancerAudrey G Gift
Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 31:202-12. 2004..To identify the number, type, and combination (cluster) of symptoms experienced by patients with lung cancer...
- Does outpatient telephone coaching add to hospital quality improvement following hospitalization for acute coronary syndrome?Margaret Holmes-Rovner
Center for Ethics, C203 E Fee Hall, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:1464-70. 2008..Telephone counseling in chronic disease self-management is increasing, but has not been tested in studies that control for quality of medical care...
- Predictors of use of complementary and alternative therapies among patients with cancerJudith M Fouladbakhsh
College of Nursing, Michigan State University in East Lansing, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 32:1115-22. 2005..To determine predictors of use of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) therapies among patients with cancer...
- Health behavior goals of cardiac patients after hospitalizationJodi Summers Holtrop
Department of Family Practice, College of Human Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824, USA
Am J Health Behav 30:387-99. 2006..To examine the types and influences of health behavior goals self-selected by post hospitalized cardiac patients...
- Nutrition education aimed at toddlers: an intervention studyMildred A Horodynski
Michigan State University, College of Nursing, East Lansing, MI, USA
Pediatr Nurs 31:364, 367-72. 2005..Because it is generally easier to change knowledge than actual behaviors, our study results demonstrate the need to focus on other avenues to enhance parents' ability to feed toddlers appropriately...
- Is quality improvement sustainable? Findings of the American College of Cardiology's Guidelines Applied in PracticeAdesuwa B Olomu
Department of Medicine, College of Human Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Int J Qual Health Care 26:215-22. 2014..ii) To determine the predictors of physician adherence to AMI guidelines-recommended medication prescribing...
- A cluster of symptoms over time in patients with lung cancerAudrey G Gift
College of Nursing, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824 1317, USA
Nurs Res 52:393-400. 2003..Previous research has shown the symptom cluster of fatigue, weakness, weight loss, appetite loss, nausea, vomiting, and altered taste to be present at time of lung cancer diagnosis...
- Utility of retrospective pretest ratings of patient satisfaction with health statusGrace J Kreulen
College of Nursing, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824, USA
Res Nurs Health 25:233-41. 2002..01), accounting for up to 30% of the recall scores. These findings have implications for inclusion of retrospective pre-post comparisons in outcomes evaluation research...
- Hopelessness and depression in the early recovery period after hospitalization for acute coronary syndromeSusan L Dunn
Nursing Department, Hope College, Holland, MI 49423, USA
J Cardiopulm Rehabil 26:152-9. 2006....
- Reasons for student debt during medical education: a Michigan studySusan C Zonia
Oakwood Southshore Medical Center, Trenton, Mich 48183 4601, USA
J Am Osteopath Assoc 102:669-75. 2002....
- Educational implications of nurse practitioner students and medical residents' attitudes toward managed careM Lynn Breer
Center for Collaborative Research in Health Outcomes and Policy, Michigan Public Health Institute, Okemos, USA
J Prof Nurs 18:263-70. 2002..At the same time, MRs were somewhat less enthusiastic about practice guidelines and patient outcomes as measures of success in managed care settings than APNSs. Educational implications of findings are discussed...