Rachael M Morgan-Kiss
Affiliation: Miami University
- Diversity and expression of RubisCO genes in a perennially ice-covered Antarctic lake during the polar night transitionWeidong Kong
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 78:4358-66. 2012..The distinct water chemistries of the east and west lobes have resulted in depth- and lobe-dependent variability in RubisCO diversity, which plays a role in transcriptional activity of the key gene responsible for carbon fixation...
- Identity and physiology of a new psychrophilic eukaryotic green alga, Chlorella sp., strain BI, isolated from a transitory pond near Bratina Island, AntarcticaRachael M Morgan-Kiss
Department of Microbiology, Miami University, 700 E High Street, Oxford, OH 45045, USA
Extremophiles 12:701-11. 2008..Thus, this newly isolated photopsychrophile has retained a higher versatility in response to environmental change than other well studied cold-adapted chlorophytes...
- A new Escherichia coli metabolic competency: growth on fatty acids by a novel anaerobic beta-oxidation pathwayJohn W Campbell
Department of Microbiology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Mol Microbiol 47:793-805. 2003..These three genes are conserved in the available genome sequences of pathogenic E. coli, Shigella and Salmonella strains...
- Expression of Vibrio harveyi acyl-ACP synthetase allows efficient entry of exogenous fatty acids into the Escherichia coli fatty acid and lipid A synthetic pathwaysYanfang Jiang
Department of Microbiology, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
Biochemistry 49:718-26. 2010..coli mutant strains that lack essential fatty acid synthesis enzymes. Thus, this strategy provides a new tool for circumventing the loss of enzymes essential for FAS function...
- The Escherichia coli fadK (ydiD) gene encodes an anerobically regulated short chain acyl-CoA synthetaseRachael M Morgan-Kiss
Department of Microbiology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
J Biol Chem 279:37324-33. 2004..Expression of FadK is repressed during aerobic growth and is maximally expressed under anaerobic conditions in the presence of the terminal electron acceptor, fumarate...
- Comparative analysis of crystallins and lipids from the lens of Antarctic toothfish and cowAndor J Kiss
Department of Animal Biology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
J Comp Physiol B 180:1019-32. 2010..We conclude that long-lived fishes are likely good animal models of lens crystallin solubility and may model post-translational modifications and solubility changes better than short-lived animal models...
- Evidence of form II RubisCO (cbbM) in a perennially ice-covered Antarctic lakeWeidong Kong
Department of Microbiology, Miami University, Oxford, OH 45045, USA
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 82:491-500. 2012....
- The Lactococcus lactis FabF fatty acid synthetic enzyme can functionally replace both the FabB and FabF proteins of Escherichia coli and the FabH protein of Lactococcus lactisRachael M Morgan-Kiss
Department of Microbiology, B103 Chemical and Life Sciences Laboratory, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 601 S Goodwin Ave, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Arch Microbiol 190:427-37. 2008..Incorporation of octanoate and decanoate labeled with deuterium showed that these acids were incorporated intact as the distal methyl and methylene groups of the long chain fatty acids...
- The Antarctic Chlamydomonas raudensis: an emerging model for cold adaptation of photosynthesisJenna M Dolhi
Department of Microbiology, Miami University, 700 E High St, 32 Pearson Hall, Oxford, OH 45056, USA
Extremophiles 17:711-22. 2013..More than two decades of work on UWO241 have produced one of our most comprehensive views of environmental adaptation in a cold-adapted, photosynthetic microbial eukaryote...
- Protist diversity in a permanently ice-covered Antarctic lake during the polar night transitionScott Bielewicz
Department of Microbiology, Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056, USA
ISME J 5:1559-64. 2011..However, vertical and temporal variation in protist distribution occurred, indicating the influence of the unique water chemistry on the biology of the two dry valley watersheds...
- Chlorobaculum tepidum regulates chlorosome structure and function in response to temperature and electron donor availabilityRachael M Morgan-Kiss
Department of Microbiology, Miami University, Oxford, OH, 45045, USA
Photosynth Res 99:11-21. 2009....