P K Nicholas
Affiliation: MGH Institute of Health Professions
- A cross-sectional description of social capital in an international sample of persons living with HIV/AIDS (PLWH)Allison Webel
Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106 4904, USA
BMC Public Health 12:188. 2012..The purpose of our paper was to describe the degree of social capital in an international sample of adults living with HIV/AIDS...
- Unhealthy behaviours for self-management of HIV-related peripheral neuropathyP K Nicholas
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
AIDS Care 19:1266-73. 2007..Implications for clinical practice include assessment and education of persons with HIV for self-care management of the complex symptom of peripheral neuropathy...
- Symptom management and self-care for peripheral neuropathy in HIV/AIDSP K Nicholas
Brigham and Women s Hospital, MGH Institute of Health Professions, Boston, MA, USA
AIDS Care 19:179-89. 2007....
- Using the Cancer Rehabilitation Questionnaire in patients with colorectal cancerPatrice K Nicholas
MGH Institute of Health Professions, Boston, MA, USA
Rehabil Nurs 31:106-13. 2006..With the increasing incidence of colorectal cancer, nurses in rehabilitation practice must address the issues affecting patients with this disease as they progress from diagnosis to treatment and rehabilitation...
- Lipodystrophy and quality of life in HIV: symptom management issuesPatrice K Nicholas
Graduate Program in Nursing, MGH Institute of Health Professions, Boston, MA 02129, USA
Appl Nurs Res 18:55-8. 2005..312, p = .004) and with lowest CD4 count ( r = -.191, p = .050). The results of the study indicate that quality of life is affected by HIV symptoms and that lipodystrophy-related symptoms may negatively affect quality of life...
- Self-care management for neuropathy in HIV diseaseP K Nicholas
MGH Institute of Health Professions, Boston, MA, and Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02129, USA
AIDS Care 14:763-71. 2002..Sources of information included health care providers, informal networks and media sources...
- Marijuana effectiveness as an HIV self-care strategyInge B Corless
MGH Institute of Health Professions, School of Nursing, Boston, Massachusetts 02129, USA
Clin Nurs Res 18:172-93. 2009..S., Africa, and Puerto Rico. Baseline data are analyzed to examine differences in the use and efficacy of marijuana as compared with prescribed and over-the-counter medications as well as the impact on adherence and quality of life...
- HIV and tuberculosis in Durban, South Africa: adherence to two medication regimensInge B Corless
Graduate Program in Nursing, MGH Institute of Health Professions, Boston, MA, USA
AIDS Care 21:1106-13. 2009..As access to ARV medications becomes more widely available in South Africa, the question remains as to whether such high adherence will be maintained given the constraints of access to food and other basic necessities...
- Lipodystrophy-associated symptoms and medication adherence in HIV/AIDSInge B Corless
MGH Institute of Health Professions, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 19:577-86. 2005..55 years and was not related to adherence. Nor did the type of lipodystrophic symptoms affect adherence. Quality of life however, was significantly related to adherence suggesting an approach that might be taken to improve adherence...
- Prevalence, self-care behaviors, and self-care activities for peripheral neuropathy symptoms of HIV/AIDSPatrice K Nicholas
Division of Global Health Equity, Brigham and Women s Hospital and MGH Institute of Health Professions, Boston, MA 02120, USA
Nurs Health Sci 12:119-26. 2010..The implications for nursing practice include the assessment and evaluation of nursing interventions related to management strategies for neuropathy...
- Issues in cross-cultural quality-of-life researchI B Corless
MGH Institute of Health Professions, 101 Merrimac St 10th Floor, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Nurs Scholarsh 33:15-20. 2001..To examine cross-cultural measurement of quality of life (QOL) and issues to consider in adapting quality-of-life instruments...
- Long-term continuum of care for people living with HIV/AIDSI B Corless
Graduate Program in Nursing, MGH Institute of Health Professions, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Urban Health 77:176-86. 2000..At the very least, the introduction of palliative care and hospice at the end of life is important to the holistic care of persons living with HIV/AIDS...
- Weight change, body image, and quality of life in HIV disease: a pilot studyInge B Corless
Institute of Health Professions, Graduate Program in Nursing, Boston, MA 02129, USA
Appl Nurs Res 17:292-6. 2004..Education of clinicians and individuals living with HIV/AIDS should focus on the assessment, management, and evaluation of weight change during the course of HIV disease...
- The impact of meaning in life and life goals on adherence to a tuberculosis medication regimen in South AfricaI B Corless
Massachusetts General Hospital Institute of Health Professions, Boston, Massachusetts 02129, USA
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 10:1159-65. 2006..Out-patient tuberculosis (TB) clinics in Durban, South Africa...
- A behavioral-medicine program in HIV. Implications for quality of lifePatrice K Nicholas
MGH Institute of Health Professions, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Holist Nurs 21:163-78. 2003..Results of the study indicate that clinical interventions, including behavioral-medicine interventions and complementary therapies for persons with HIV/AIDS, can result in greater QOL...
- Distal sensory polyneuropathy in the context of HIV/AIDSPatrice K Nicholas
Global Health and Academic Partnerships, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Division of Social Medicine and Health Inequalities and Center for Nursing Excellence, USA
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 18:32-40. 2007....
- Mediators of antiretroviral adherence: A multisite international studyI B Corless
a School of Nursing, MGH Institute of Health Professions, Boston, MA, USA
AIDS Care 25:364-77. 2013..Nonetheless, our findings need to be accompanied by the caveat that research on variables of interest, while enriched by a sample obtained from international sites, may not have the same relationships in each country...
- Fatigue in HIV/AIDS patients with comorbiditiesInge B Corless
MGH Institute of Health Professions, Boston, MA 02129, USA
Appl Nurs Res 21:116-22. 2008..Only by distinguishing fatigue as to its causes and patterns will health care providers be able to intervene specifically and thus more effectively...
- Self-care for fatigue in patients With HIVInge B Corless
MGH Institute of Health Professions in Boston, MA, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 29:E60-9. 2002..To identify when fatigue is reported as a problem by people who are HIV positive, what the perception of fatigue is, and which self-care behaviors are used and with what efficacy...
- Fulbright Scholar opportunities for global health and women's health care in HIV/AIDS in sub-Saharan AfricaPatrice K Nicholas
Brigham and Women s Hospital and MGH Institute of Health Professions, One Brigham Circle, Boston, MA 02120, USA
Appl Nurs Res 22:73-7. 2009....
- A randomized controlled trial testing the efficacy of an HIV/AIDS symptom management manualDean J Wantland
School of Nursing, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0608, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 36:235-46. 2008..The information from this study may help health care providers become more aware of self-management strategies that are useful to persons with HIV/AIDS and help them to assist patients in making informed choices...
- Prayer as a complementary health strategy for managing HIV-related symptoms among ethnically diverse patientsChristopher Lance Coleman
Center for Health Disparities Research, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Holist Nurs Pract 20:65-72. 2006..Older African Americans, Hispanics, and females were more likely to use prayer as a complementary health strategy for HIV-related anxiety, depression, fatigue, and nausea. Implications for future studies are discussed...
- Women and HIV. Symptoms and quality of life in womenPatrice K Nicholas
BETA 17:32-6. 2005..This article will address a range of issues concerning symptoms in women with HIV both in the U.S. and worldwide...
- Characteristics of anti-tuberculosis medication adherence in South AfricaPatricia A McInerney
University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban 4004, South Africa
Appl Nurs Res 20:164-70. 2007..The adherent group was more likely to have increased symptoms, more days with nothing to eat, and fewer appointments with their health care provider. Implications for clinical practice and research are discussed...
- XVI International AIDS Meetings: reflections on health and human rightsPatrice K Nicholas
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 18:83-4. 2007