Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh
Organization: Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh
- Differential induction of NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase by anti-carcinogenic organosulfides from garlicS V Singh
Cancer Research Laboratory, Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15219, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 244:917-20. 1998..5-fold upon DATS administration, which does not inhibit BP-induced cancer of the lung. In conclusion, our results suggest that induction of NQO may be important in anti-cancer effects of garlic OSCs...
- Injection rate threshold of triple-lumen central venous catheters: an in vitro studyDavid T Zamos
Department of Radiology, Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh, 1400 Locust Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15129, USA
Acad Radiol 14:574-8. 2007..The purpose of the study is to measure the injection rate thresholds of CVC. The results suggest that CVC can be used at high injection rates that are now typically used with peripheral intravenous catheters during CTA...
- Footwear alterations and bracing as treatments for knee osteoarthritisKelly Krohn
Department of Clinical Research, Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Curr Opin Rheumatol 17:653-6. 2005..This review examines the use of foot orthoses and knee braces to change the biomechanical forces on the knee joint and to reduce pain and improve function in patients with existing symptomatic knee osteoarthritis...
- Supraspinatus compartment syndromeKurt R Stahlfeld
Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh, 1400 Locust St, Pittsburgh, PA 15219, USA
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 33:615-7. 2004..Prompt decompression to avoid irreversible ischemia is warranted. Perhaps mild ischemia of the supraspinatus muscle is an unrecognized cause of recurrent shoulder pain...
- The teenage driver: an opportunity to educatePamela A Heald
Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh, Department of Pediatrics, 1400 Locust Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15210, USA
J Pediatr Health Care 18:204-7. 2004
- Board preparation strategiesBradley J Bradford
Department of Pediatrics, Mercy Children's Medical Center, Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh, 1515 Locust St, Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 157:206. 2003
- Febrile seizuresRajiv R Varma
Department of Pediatrics, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, PA, USA
Indian J Pediatr 69:697-700. 2002..The current standard of treatment is discussed. The importance of recognizing and alleviating parental anxiety is discussed...
- Traumatic bilateral ECCA injury in a roller coaster enthusiastKurt R Stahlfeld
Department of General Surgery, Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15219, USA
Ann Vasc Surg 16:505-8. 2002..Making the diagnosis is straightforward, but requires a high index of suspicion. This patient's injury is from hyperextension/flexion trauma that occurred from repetitive rides on roller coasters...
- Vessel loops made easyK R Stahlfeld
Division of General Surgery, Department of Surgery, The Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh, PA 15219, USA
J Vasc Surg 34:172. 2001..By bringing the vessel loops out separate stab wounds, we improve visualization at the heel and toe of the anastomosis while preserving arterial elevation and hemostasis...
- Should Level I trauma centers be rated NC-17?H F Sherman
Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh, 1400 Locust Street, Suite 6530, Pittsburgh, PA 15219, USA
J Trauma 50:784-91. 2001..Previous studies have reached contradictory conclusions regarding where injured children are best treated. Our hypothesis was that no differences in survival outcome exist among trauma centers caring for pediatric patients...
- Antiviral therapies for herpes zoster infections. Are they economically justifiable?K J Smith
Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Pharmacoeconomics 18:95-104. 2000..Based on this analysis, antiviral therapy of herpes zoster seems economically justifiable for mildly symptomatic acute herpes zoster in patients aged 50 years and older, and for severely symptomatic acute herpes zoster in all adults...
- The effect of prophylactic epsilon-aminocaproic acid on bleeding, transfusions, platelet function, and fibrinolysis during coronary artery bypass graftingC A Troianos
Department of Anesthesiology, The Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15219, USA
Anesthesiology 91:430-5. 1999..The purpose of this study was to examine the efficacy of epsilon-ACA administered after heparinization but before cardiopulmonary bypass in reducing bleeding and transfusion requirements after primary coronary artery bypass surgery...
- Cost effectiveness of newer antiviral agents for herpes zoster: is the evidence spotty?K J Smith
Department of Medicine, Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh, PA 15219, USA
J Infect Dis 178:S85-90. 1998..Further research comparing antiviral efficacy in herpes zoster is needed...
- Gender-related differences in susceptibility of A/J mouse to benzo[a]pyrene-induced pulmonary and forestomach tumorigenesisS V Singh
Cancer Research Laboratory, The Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh, PA 15219, USA
Cancer Lett 128:197-204. 1998..Our results suggest that up to a certain threshold of BP exposure the levels of GST isoenzymes may be an important determinant of susceptibility to BP-induced tumorigenesis in mice...
- Parish nurse-initiated interdisciplinary mobile health care delivery projectDorothy Mayernik
Parish Nurse and Health Ministry Program, Pittsburgh Mercy Health System, 1515 Locust Street, Suite 705, Pittsburgh, PA 15219, USA
J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 39:227-34. 2010..Future direction includes collaboration with an academic nursing center to expand services in chronic care management...