Sarah J Harper
Affiliation: Merck Research Laboratories
- Signalling for survival and death in neurones: the role of stress-activated kinases, JNK and p38S J Harper
Department of Pharmacology, Merck Sharp and Dohme Research Laboratories, Neuroscience Research Centre, Terlings Park, Essex CM20 2QR, Harlow, UK
Cell Signal 13:299-310. 2001..We will examine the evidence that these pathways are important in neuronal cell death. Finally we will review the evidence that inhibitors of these pathways have a neuroprotective effect both in vitro and in vivo...
- MAPKs: new targets for neurodegenerationSarah J Harper
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Neuroscience Research Centre, Merck, Sharp and Dohme Research Laboratories, Terlings Park, Harlow, Essex CM20 2QR, UK
Expert Opin Ther Targets 7:187-200. 2003..Effects of inhibitors, where available, will be discussed, and potential problems and side effects of kinase inhibitors as therapeutics will be addressed...
- Small molecule Trk receptor agonists and other neurotrophic factor mimeticsScott J Pollack
Department of Biochemistry Molecular Biology, Neuroscience Research Centre, Terlings Park, Eastwick Road, Harlow, Essex, CM20 2QR, UK
Curr Drug Targets CNS Neurol Disord 1:59-80. 2002..Nevertheless, a small subset of the compounds, acting on intracellular signaling pathways downstream of Trk receptors, shows promise for the future treatment of neurodegenerative diseases...
- Caspase inhibitors attenuate 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium toxicity in primary cultures of mesencephalic dopaminergic neuronsJames Bilsland
Merck, Sharp and Dohme Neuroscience Research Centre, Terlings Park, Harlow, Essex, CM20 2QR, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 22:2637-49. 2002..We conclude that MPP+ toxicity in primary dopaminergic neurons involves activation of a pathway terminating in caspase 3 activation, but that other mechanisms may underlie the neurite loss...
- CEP-1347 promotes survival of NGF responsive neurones in primary DRG explantsJames G Bilsland
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Sharp and Dohme Research Laboratories, Neuroscience Research Centre, Harlow, Essex, UK
Neuroreport 14:995-9. 2003..CEP-1347 may be a useful tool to maintain viable DRG explants to allow evaluation of neurite outgrowth promoting compounds and dissection of survival and neurite outgrowth signalling pathways...