Genomes and Genes
X M Guan
Affiliation: Merck Research Laboratories
- Regulation of energy homeostasis by bombesin receptor subtype-3: selective receptor agonists for the treatment of obesityXiao Ming Guan
Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, NJ 07065, USA
Cell Metab 11:101-12. 2010..These results demonstrate that BRS-3 has a role in energy homeostasis that complements several well-known pathways and that BRS-3 agonists represent a potential approach to the treatment of obesity...
- Evidence of altered hypothalamic pro-opiomelanocortin/ neuropeptide Y mRNA expression in tubby miceX M Guan
Department of Genetics and Molecular Biology, Merck Research Laboratories, P O Box 2000, Rahway, NJ 07065, USA
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 59:273-9. 1998..These results suggest that the altered hypothalamic POMC and/or NPY functions may be important contributing factors for the development of obesity in this animal model...
- Inactivation of the mouse melanocortin-3 receptor results in increased fat mass and reduced lean body massA S Chen
Department of Obesity Research, Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, New Jersey, USA
Nat Genet 26:97-102. 2000..Mice lacking both Mc3r and Mc4r become significantly heavier than Mc4r(-/-) mice. We conclude that Mc3r and Mc4r serve non-redundant roles in the regulation of energy homeostasis...
- Orexigenic action of peripheral ghrelin is mediated by neuropeptide Y and agouti-related proteinH Y Chen
Department of Metabolic Disorders, Merck Research Laboratories, P O Box 2000, RY80T 150, Rahway, New Jersey 07065, USA
Endocrinology 145:2607-12. 2004..Our results establish an in vivo orexigenic function for NPY and AgRP, mediating the effect of ghrelin...
- Role of the melanocortin-4 receptor in metabolic rate and food intake in miceA S Chen
Department of Metabolic Disorders, Merck Research Laboratories, NJ, USA
Transgenic Res 9:145-54. 2000..We conclude that MC-4R can mediate control of both metabolic rate and food intake in mice. We infer that a role for MC-3R in mediating the acute effects of MT-II on basal metabolic rate and food intake in wildtype mice seems limited...
- A selective human beta3 adrenergic receptor agonist increases metabolic rate in rhesus monkeysM H Fisher
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, New Jersey 07065, USA
J Clin Invest 101:2387-93. 1998..These data suggest a role for beta3 agonists in the treatment of human obesity...
- Identification and characterization of novel mammalian neuropeptide FF-like peptides that attenuate morphine-induced antinociceptionQ Liu
Department of Pharmacology, Merck Research Laboratories, West Point, Pennsylvania 19486, USA
J Biol Chem 276:36961-9. 2001..These results indicate that the endogenous ligands for FF1 and FF2 are NPVF- and NPFF-derived peptides, respectively, and suggest that the NPVF/FF1 system may be an important part of endogenous anti-opioid mechanism...
- Identification of receptors for neuromedin U and its role in feedingA D Howard
Department of Metabolic Disorders, Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, New Jersey 07065, USA
Nature 406:70-4. 2000..These findings provide a molecular basis for the biochemical activities of NMU and may indicate that NMU is involved in the central control of feeding...
- Potent and selective human beta(3)-adrenergic receptor antagonistsM R Candelore
Department of Molecular Pharmacology Immunology and Rheumatology, Merck and Co, Rahway, New Jersey, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 290:649-55. 1999..In addition, we describe specific 3'-phenoxy substitutions that transform these compounds from potent agonists into selective antagonists...
- Mutant human presenilin 1 protects presenilin 1 null mouse against embryonic lethality and elevates Abeta1-42/43 expressionS Qian
Department of Biochemistry and Physiology, Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, New Jersey 07065, USA
Neuron 20:611-7. 1998....
- Characteristic dysfunction of stunned myocardium induced by 2,3-butanedione monoxime without ischaemiaX Wang
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854 5635, USA
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 32:968-74. 2005..Because contractility was not impaired, dysfunction was apparently caused by disrupting the association between contractile force and muscle motion...
- Cloning, sequencing, and expression of the rhesus monkey beta 2 adrenergic receptorA M Amend
Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Biochemistry, Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, NJ 07065, USA
DNA Cell Biol 14:753-7. 1995..Therefore, the rhesus monkey represents a valid animal model for developing therapeutic agents targeted at the corresponding human beta 2 receptor...