Genomes and Genes
Joseph C Sun
Affiliation: Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
- Geiger T, Sun J. Development and maturation of natural killer cells. Curr Opin Immunol. 2016;39:82-9 pubmed publisher..Here we will review our current understanding of the molecular mechanisms driving development of NK cells from the common lymphoid progenitor (CLP) to mature NK cells, and from activated effectors to long-lived memory NK cells. ..
- O Sullivan T, Sun J, Lanier L. Natural Killer Cell Memory. Immunity. 2015;43:634-45 pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss evidence of NK cell memory and the mechanisms involved in the generation and survival of these innate lymphocytes. ..
- Beaulieu A, Sun J. Tracking Effector and Memory NK Cells During MCMV Infection. Methods Mol Biol. 2016;1441:1-12 pubmed publisher..Here we describe an adoptive transfer model in which the expansion, contraction, and memory cell persistence of transferred Ly49H(+) NK cells are tracked in congenic C57BL/6 hosts following MCMV infection. ..
- Adams N, O Sullivan T, Geary C, Karo J, Amezquita R, Joshi N, et al. NK Cell Responses Redefine Immunological Memory. J Immunol. 2016;197:2963-2970 pubmed..In this review, we highlight the intracellular and extracellular requirements for memory NK cell generation and describe the emerging evidence for memory precursor NK cells and their derivation. ..
- Madera S, Geary C, Lau C, Pikovskaya O, Reiner S, Sun J. Cutting Edge: Divergent Requirement of T-Box Transcription Factors in Effector and Memory NK Cells. J Immunol. 2018;200:1977-1981 pubmed publisher..These findings uncover a nonredundant and stage-specific influence of T-box transcription factors in the antiviral NK cell response. ..
- Geiger T, Abt M, Gasteiger G, Firth M, O Connor M, Geary C, et al. Nfil3 is crucial for development of innate lymphoid cells and host protection against intestinal pathogens. J Exp Med. 2014;211:1723-31 pubmed publisher..Lastly, a marked defect in type 2 ILCs (ILC2s) was also observed in the lungs and visceral adipose tissue of Nfil3-deficient mice, revealing a general requirement for Nfil3 in the development of all ILC lineages. ..
- O Sullivan T, Geary C, Weizman O, Geiger T, Rapp M, Dorn G, et al. Atg5 Is Essential for the Development and Survival of Innate Lymphocytes. Cell Rep. 2016;15:1910-9 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the essential role for autophagy in ILC development and lymphocyte survival during lymphopenia. ..
- O Sullivan T, Rapp M, Fan X, Weizman O, Bhardwaj P, Adams N, et al. Adipose-Resident Group 1 Innate Lymphoid Cells Promote Obesity-Associated Insulin Resistance. Immunity. 2016;45:428-41 pubmed publisher..Thus, adipose-resident ILC1s contribute to obesity-related pathology in response to dysregulated local proinflammatory cytokine production. ..
- Geary C, Sun J. Memory responses of natural killer cells. Semin Immunol. 2017;31:11-19 pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss the various conditions that promote generation of these two categories of memory NK cells, and the mechanistic requirements underlying these processes. ..
- Rapp M, Lau C, Adams N, Weizman O, O Sullivan T, Geary C, et al. Core-binding factor β and Runx transcription factors promote adaptive natural killer cell responses. Sci Immunol. 2017;2: pubmed publisher..Thus, our study reveals a mechanism whereby STAT4-mediated epigenetic control of individual Runx transcription factors promotes the adaptive behavior of antiviral NK cells. ..
- O Sullivan T, Johnson L, Kang H, Sun J. BNIP3- and BNIP3L-Mediated Mitophagy Promotes the Generation of Natural Killer Cell Memory. Immunity. 2015;43:331-42 pubmed publisher..Thus, our study reveals the functional importance of mitophagy during the dynamic response of these cytolytic innate lymphocytes. ..
- O Sullivan T, Sun J. Innate Lymphoid Cell Immunometabolism. J Mol Biol. 2017;429:3577-3586 pubmed publisher..Finally, this review discusses the challenges and open questions in the rapidly expanding field of immunometabolism. ..
- Weizman O, Adams N, Schuster I, Krishna C, Pritykin Y, Lau C, et al. ILC1 Confer Early Host Protection at Initial Sites of Viral Infection. Cell. 2017;171:795-808.e12 pubmed publisher..Thus, ILC1 contribute an essential role in viral immunosurveillance at sites of initial infection in response to local cDC1-derived proinflammatory cytokines. ..
- Johnson L, Weizman O, Rapp M, Way S, Sun J. Epitope-Specific Vaccination Limits Clonal Expansion of Heterologous Naive T Cells during Viral Challenge. Cell Rep. 2016;17:636-644 pubmed publisher..These findings have important implications in pathogen vaccination strategies that depend on the targeting of multiple T cell epitopes. ..
- Madera S, Rapp M, Firth M, Beilke J, Lanier L, Sun J. Type I IFN promotes NK cell expansion during viral infection by protecting NK cells against fratricide. J Exp Med. 2016;213:225-33 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals a novel type I IFN-dependent mechanism by which NK cells evade mechanisms of cell death after viral infection. ..