Affiliation: Medical University of South Carolina
- Fenretinide inhibited de novo ceramide synthesis and proinflammatory cytokines induced by Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitansHong Yu
Department of Craniofacial Biology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, USA
J Lipid Res 54:189-201. 2013..This study emphasizes the de novo ceramide synthesis pathway in response to bacterial stimulation and demonstrates the anti-inflammatory role of fenretinide in the bacteria-induced immune response...
- Novel system uses probasin-based promoter, transcriptional silencers and amplification loop to induce high-level prostate expressionJan Woraratanadharm
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina, USA
BMC Biotechnol 7:9. 2007..To prevent systemic toxicity, tissue- and/or cancer-specific gene expression is required. However, the use of tissue- or cancer-specific promoters to target transgene expression has been hampered by their weak activity...
- Defective acid sphingomyelinase pathway with Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection in cystic fibrosisHong Yu
Department of Pediatrics, Medical University of South Carolina, 173 Ashley BSB 749, Charleston, SC 29403, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 41:367-75. 2009..aeruginosa infection. This study demonstrates that the defective ASMase pathway in CF is a key contributor to the unabated IL-8 response with P. aeruginosa infection and to the compromised host response failing to eradicate bacteria...
- Oral instillation with surfactant phospholipid: a reliable alternative to intratracheal injection in mouse studiesH Yu
Department of Pediatrics, Darby Children s Research Institute, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, USA
Lab Anim 42:294-304. 2008..This procedure has the benefits of eliminating the discomfort, local inflammation and mortality associated with the more invasive IT surgical procedures...
- IL-10 delivery by AAV5 vector attenuates inflammation in mice with Pseudomonas pneumoniaS M Buff
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Darby Children s Research Institute, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, USA
Gene Ther 17:567-76. 2010..These results suggest that AAV5.Cbeta-mIL10 induces IL-10 levels in the lungs mediating a significant anti-inflammatory response and making AAV-IL-10 gene transfer a potentially useful therapy in the treatment of CF lung disease...
- New complex Ad vectors incorporating both rtTA and tTS deliver tightly regulated transgene expression both in vitro and in vivoS Rubinchik
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29403, USA
Gene Ther 12:504-11. 2005..In conclusion, a highly effective transgene regulation system, deliverable by a single adenoviral vector, is now available...
- Highly specific transgene expression mediated by a complex adenovirus vector incorporating a prostate-specific amplification feedback loopJ Woraratanadharm
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, USA
Gene Ther 11:1399-407. 2004..The PFLPS regulation system, therefore, serves as a promising new approach in the development of both a specific and effective vector for cancer gene therapy...
- A complex adenovirus vector that delivers FASL-GFP with combined prostate-specific and tetracycline-regulated expressionS Rubinchik
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charlestown, SC 29403, USA
Mol Ther 4:416-26. 2001..This strategy should be able to improve the safety and efficacy of cancer gene therapy using other cytotoxic genes as well...
- Innate lung defenses and compromised Pseudomonas aeruginosa clearance in the malnourished mouse model of respiratory infections in cystic fibrosisH Yu
Departments of Microbiology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Infect Immun 68:2142-7. 2000....
- Dexamethasone inhibits the antigen presentation of dendritic cells in MHC class II pathwayJ Pan
Institute of Immunology, Zhejiang University, 353 Yan'an Road, Hangzhou 310031, People's Republic of China
Immunol Lett 76:153-61. 2001....
- Analysis of promoters controlled by the putative sigma factor AlgU regulating conversion to mucoidy in Pseudomonas aeruginosa: relationship to sigma E and stress responseD W Martin
Department of Microbiology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 78284 7758
J Bacteriol 176:6688-96. 1994..typhimurium was cloned and sequenced, and it is displayed one amino acid substitution relative to its E. coli equivalent. AlgU and its close homologs in E. coli and S. typhimurium may be functionally related...
- Evidence of altered hypothalamic pro-opiomelanocortin/ neuropeptide Y mRNA expression in tubby miceX M Guan
Department of Genetics and Molecular Biology, Merck Research Laboratories, P O Box 2000, Rahway, NJ 07065, USA
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 59:273-9. 1998..These results suggest that the altered hypothalamic POMC and/or NPY functions may be important contributing factors for the development of obesity in this animal model...
- Expression of Th1/Th2 cytokine mRNA in peritoneal exudative polymorphonuclear neutrophils and their effects on mononuclear cell Th1/Th2 cytokine production in MRL-lpr/lpr miceC Yu
Department of Medicine, Veterans General Hospital Taipei, Taiwan, China
Immunology 95:480-7. 1998..Autoimmune PEC-PMN can exert significant modulatory effects on Th1/Th2 cytokine production by autologous MNC in stimulation...
- Heterogeneous populations of ES cells in the generation of a floxed Presenilin-1 alleleH Yu
Center for Neurologic Diseases, Department of Neurology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Genesis 26:5-8. 2000..It is therefore critical to screen for possible recombination events involving all 3 loxP sites, in order to identify ES cells clones bearing high proportions of the desired ES cells. genesis 26:5-8, 2000...
- A new spontaneous mutation in the mouse protocadherin 15 geneQ Y Zheng
Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Case Western Reserve University, 11100 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Hear Res 219:110-20. 2006..Since these animals show severe functional deficits but have relatively mild stereocilia defects at a young age they may provide an appropriate model to test for a direct role of Pcdh15 in mechanotransduction...
- Pulmonary soiling by pus after one-lung ventilation with a Univent tubeH Yu
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 48:1342. 2004
- Role of the guanosine triphosphatase Rac2 in T helper 1 cell differentiationB Li
Section of Immunobiology and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Yale University School of Medicine, 310 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06520 8011, USA
Science 288:2219-22. 2000..Moreover, T cells from Rac2-/- mice showed decreased IFN-gamma production under TH1 conditions in vitro. Thus, Rac2 activates TH1-specific signaling and IFN-gamma gene expression...
- Vaccination with IL-18 gene-modified, superantigen-coated tumor cells elicits potent antitumor immune responseQ Wang
Institute of Immunology, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, PR China
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 127:718-26. 2001..CONCLUSION: Vaccination with IL-18 gene-modified, C215Fab-SEA-coated tumor cells elicited potent antitumor response through induction of tumor-specific immune response...
- Expression of arginase isozymes in mouse brainH Yu
Mental Retardation Research Center, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90024-1759, USA
J Neurosci Res 66:406-22. 2001..This study showed that AI is expressed in the mouse brain, and more strongly than AII, and sheds light on the anatomic basis for the arginine-->ornithine-->glutamate-->GABA pathway...
- Role of the melanocortin-4 receptor in metabolic rate and food intake in miceA S Chen
Department of Metabolic Disorders, Merck Research Laboratories, NJ, USA
Transgenic Res 9:145-54. 2000..We conclude that MC-4R can mediate control of both metabolic rate and food intake in mice. We infer that a role for MC-3R in mediating the acute effects of MT-II on basal metabolic rate and food intake in wildtype mice seems limited...
- GADD45gamma mediates the activation of the p38 and JNK MAP kinase pathways and cytokine production in effector TH1 cellsB Lu
Section of Immunobiology and, Yale University School of Medicine, 310 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Immunity 14:583-90. 2001..Additionally, GADD45gamma deficiencies caused reduced contact hypersensitivity in mice. Thus, GADD45gamma mediates activation of the p38 and JNK pathways and effector function of TH1 cells...
- Intratumoral IL-18 gene transfer improves therapeutic efficacy of antibody-targeted superantigen in established murine melanomaQ Wang
Institute of Immunology, Zhejiang University, 353 Yan'an Road, Hangzhou, 310031, PR China
Gene Ther 8:542-50. 2001..Our data demonstrated that the antitumor effect of C215Fab-SEA immunotherapy could be potentiated significantly by combination with intratumoral IL-18 gene transfer through more efficient activation of Th1 immune responses...
- Functional equivalence of Escherichia coli sigma E and Pseudomonas aeruginosa AlgU: E. coli rpoE restores mucoidy and reduces sensitivity to reactive oxygen intermediates in algU mutants of P. aeruginosaH Yu
Department of Microbiology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio 78284 7758, USA
J Bacteriol 177:3259-68. 1995..aeruginosa and suggest that elements showing sequence similarity to those known to regulate AlgU activity in P. aeruginosa are also present in other bacteria...