Affiliation: Medical College of Wisconsin
- Characteristics and predictors of HIV risk behaviors among injection-drug-using men and women in St. Petersburg, RussiaAnton M Somlai
Center for AIDS Intervention Research, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 53202, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 14:295-305. 2002..These programs will also have to address the dual risk factors, unique to IDUs, of risky sexual behaviors and needle sharing. Without a rapid intervention response, Russia's HIV/AIDS crisis will soon turn catastrophic...
- Predictors of HIV sexual risk behaviors in a community sample of injection drug-using men and womenAnton M Somlai
Center for AIDS Intervention Research CAIR, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202, USA
AIDS Behav 7:383-93. 2003..Sexual risk reduction programs for this population are needed, with HIV prevention programs tailored to specific IDU risk reduction needs...
- Estimating the prevalence of syringe-borne and sexually transmitted diseases among injection drug users in St Petersburg, RussiaNadia Abdala
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8034, USA
Int J STD AIDS 14:697-703. 2003..The IDU population studied was young and requires additional interventions to encourage safer sexual behaviours...
- The influence of gender on factors associated with HIV transmission risk among young Russian injection drug usersCheryl Gore-Felton
Medical College of Wisconsin, Center for AIDS Intervention Research, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 29:881-94. 2003..Delaying sexual debut, particularly for males, may be an effective strategy to reduce subsequent risk behavior. Prevention efforts among IDUs need to address sexual risk behavior in conjunction with injection risk behavior...
- HIV prevention in Africa: programs and populations served by non-governmental organizationsEric G Benotsch
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, Center for AIDS Intervention Research, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 53202, USA
J Community Health 29:319-36. 2004..NGOs in Africa are struggling to implement sustainable, cost-effective programs with few resources. Strengthening the infrastructure and capacity of these key agencies is crucial to fighting the AIDS epidemic in Africa...
- Demographic characteristics, treatment history, drug risk behaviors, and condom use attitudes for U.S. and Russian injection drug users: the need for targeted sexual risk behavior interventionsKate Ksobiech
Center for AIDS Intervention Research CAIR, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53203 1918, USA
AIDS Behav 9:111-20. 2005..Gender differences for Russian IDUs were also observed. There is a clear need to create culturally targeted sexual risk reduction interventions...
- Severely mentally ill women's HIV risk: the influence of social support, substance use, and contextual risk factorsMary E Randolph
Center for AIDS Intervention Research, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53202, USA
Community Ment Health J 43:33-47. 2007..Larger social support networks were associated with less frequent sex after drug use. In turn, women who less often had sex after using drugs had unprotected intercourse less frequently...
- Distance communication transfer of HIV prevention interventions to service providersJeffrey A Kelly
Center for AIDS Intervention Research (CAIR, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Science 305:1953-5. 2004..Advanced communication technologies can create a cost-effective infrastructure to disseminate new intervention models to service providers worldwide...
- HIV prevention programs of nongovernmental organizations in Latin America and the Caribbean: the Global AIDS Intervention Network projectM Isabel Fernandez
Department of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Nova Southeastern University, Ft Lauderdale, Florida 33328 2018, United States of America
Rev Panam Salud Publica 17:154-62. 2005..The objective of this paper is to describe HIV prevention programs conducted by nongovernmental organizations (NGO) that are meeting this challenge...
- HIV PREVENTION FOR SMIA AND THEIR NETWORKSANTON SOMLAI; Fiscal Year: 2003..If successful, this research will suggest new methods for community HIV prevention approaches for SMIA and their social network members. ..