Derek A Schreihofer
Affiliation: Medical College of Georgia
- Phytoestrogens as neuroprotectantsDerek A Schreihofer
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Georgia, Georgia 30912 3000, USA
Drugs Today (Barc) 45:609-27. 2009....
- Effect of high soy diet on the cerebrovasculature and endothelial nitric oxide synthase in the ovariectomized ratDerek A Schreihofer
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912 3000, USA
Vascul Pharmacol 52:236-42. 2010..However, the effects of E2 and HS on the cerebrovasculature are small and may not underlie their protective actions in pathological states...
- Protective effect of estrogen in endothelin-induced middle cerebral artery occlusion in female ratsMichele L Glendenning
Department of Physiology, CA3145, Medical College of Georgia, 1120 15th Street, Augusta, GA 30912 3000, United States
Neurosci Lett 445:188-92. 2008..Stroke size was significantly correlated with LDF in both groups, suggesting that cranial perfusion measures can enhance success in this model...
- High-soy diet decreases infarct size after permanent middle cerebral artery occlusion in female ratsDerek A Schreihofer
Department of Physiology, 1120 15th St, CA 3145, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912 3000, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 289:R103-8. 2005..These data show that 2 wk of a high-soy diet is an effective prophylactic strategy for reducing stroke size in a rat model of focal cerebral ischemia...
- Dietary genistein and equol (4', 7 isoflavandiol) reduce oxidative stress and protect rats against focal cerebral ischemiaYulin Ma
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Georgia, St, Augusta, GA 30912 3000, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 299:R871-7. 2010..These isoflavones may protect the brain via increases in endogenous antioxidant mechanisms and reduced oxidative stress...
- Hypoxia-inducible factor and vascular endothelial growth factor are targets of dietary soy during acute stroke in female ratsYulin Ma
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia 30912, USA
Endocrinology 154:1589-97. 2013..These data suggest that soy isoflavones target events early in the ischemic cascade as part of their neuroprotective actions and counterbalance some of the detrimental effects of the endogenous response to cerebral injury...
- A high soy diet enhances neurotropin receptor and Bcl-XL gene expression in the brains of ovariectomized female ratsTara Lovekamp-Swan
Department of Physiology, CA3145, Medical College of Georgia, 1120 15th Street, Augusta, GA 30912 3000, USA
Brain Res 1159:54-66. 2007..These results suggest that a high soy diet may provide beneficial effects to the brain similar to low dose chronic estrogen treatment such as that used for postmenopausal hormone replacement...
- Delayed puberty and estrogen resistance in a woman with estrogen receptor α variantSamuel D Quaynor
Section of Reproductive Endocrinology, Infertility, and Genetics, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Institute of Molecular Medicine and Genetics, and the Neuroscience Program, Medical College of Georgia, Georgia Regents University, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
N Engl J Med 369:164-71. 2013..Her clinical presentation was similar to that in the mouse orthologue knockout. This case shows that disruption of ESR1 causes profound estrogen resistance in women. (Funded by the National Institutes of Health.). ..
- The role of aldosterone in mediating the dependence of angiotensin hypertension on IL-6Lashon C Sturgis
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia 30912 3000, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 297:R1742-8. 2009..This suggests that aldosterone contributes to the increase in plasma IL-6 in the early stage of ANG II hypertension but that the blood pressure actions of IL-6 in that model are linked most likely to ANG II rather than aldosterone...
- Transcriptional regulation by phytoestrogens in neuronal cell linesDerek A Schreihofer
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Georgia, 1120 15th Street, CL2130, Augusta, GA 30912 3000, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 231:13-22. 2005....